UCF
✟9,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What if you were raised a Protestant, in an atmosphere where masturbation was regarded as an embarrassing, but common practice, though not a sin, then it developed into a habit, and after years and years of that habit, converted to Catholicism? Does when a person slip up after realizing masturbation is a sin, count as a mortal sin? I am not trying to say this is justification for doing it, I think I remember reading something in the Catechism about habit making the sin venial or something. I still confess it to my priest when I do slip up, but what is the Church teaching on this?

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What if you were raised a Protestant, in an atmosphere where masturbation was regarded as an embarrassing, but common practice, though not a sin, then it developed into a habit, and after years and years of that habit, converted to Catholicism? Does when a person slip up after realizing masturbation is a sin, count as a mortal sin? I am not trying to say this is justification for doing it, I think I remember reading something in the Catechism about habit making the sin venial or something. I still confess it to my priest when I do slip up, but what is the Church teaching on this?

It lessens your culpability.

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If you have a normal confessor and spiritual director (generally they are two separate people), they will be able to help you make a distinction and decide on what is best in regards to the actions being a mortal sin. It will always be a grave sin, though not necessarily a mortal one.

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
even though it's not mortal maybe on your part, you still need to confess it each time before communion.
A mortal sin is always on one's own "part." If he and a spiritual director and/or confessor decide he is not in a state of mortal sin due to addiction/habituation, he could receive Communion without confession (obviously still desiring to confess it though) due to culpability. Once the addiction is more "under control" I would imagine it then being advised to hold off from receiving Communion until confession. Either way, this is entirely up to him and his spiritual guides.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Masturbation is completely under ones control.

One may have a weakened will. Who hasn't struggled with a compulsion? We all have.

It is still a choice.

If someone was to walk in on him he would choose to stop.

If there is inappropriate content or indulgence in fantasy involved then its got to be stopped.

Over time of practicing abstinence it will get easier and easier but its going to take a little resolution and fortitude to make the decision to correct onces self.

The struggle is worth it.

Here is where I would post different practical helps and scriptures but I want to hear from the OP first.

What say you PB?

Are you going to try to stop doing this sin and accept that struggle as a penance?

When you say the act of contrition do you really mean it?

Oh My God I am heartily sorry for having offended you, I detest all my sins .... but most of all because the offend you O my God who are all good and deserving of all my love.

I FIRMLY RESOLVE to confess my sins, to do penance and to AMEND my whole life.

If your still doing this sin between confessions then your more in love with the sin and the pleasure and gratification that you derive from it than you are with God.

You need to reverse that pattern permanently.

Upvote 0

polishbeast

Servant of Jesus
Apr 14, 2008
UCF
✟9,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This sin is the biggest thing that I have ever struggled with. But it is something I hope to overcome with the help of God's Grace. This is something that I want to stop now. Any advice and prayers for me would be greatly appreciated in this struggle.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This sin is the biggest thing that I have ever struggled with. But it is something I hope to overcome with the help of God's Grace. This is something that I want to stop now. Any advice and prayers for me would be greatly appreciated in this struggle.

Scripture says;
"If your eye causes you to sin - pluck it out."
"If your hand causes you to sin - cut it off".
"Make no provisions for the flesh".
"It is better to enter heaven deformed than to enter eternal fire whole".

This does not mean to literally pluck your eye out but to learn about your weaknesses, where your temptations come from and avoid those near occasions of sin. This can mean averting your eyes from looking at something that will later be hard to not indulge your imagination about.

Dude, I am in my 40's and celibate but when a male enhancement or girls gone wild add comes on TV, I turn the channel because if I don't I will invariably start experiencing temptations. We are called to be a people of prayer.

If you have posters, inappropriate content or catalogs get rid of them. "Garbage in = garbage out".

If its your imagination thats most problematic then change your focus. Pray or find something to distract you. Cold showers etc etc and then pray, pray, pray some more.

Go to a prayer group and ask for prayers for deliverance from the spirit of fornication.

Above all persevere and don't give up. Forgive yourself if you fall and pick yourself up, dust off, get to confession and start again with a renewed resolve. Learn from the falls and try to do better next time if you find yourself in the same situation/temptation.

Something else that may help is realization that the woman who debases herself is harming herself as well as being an object of temptation for you. She is denying her God given dignity and being used and objectified because she probably doesn't like herself very much.

True love of women knows this and that type of undignified or promiscuous behavior should solicit feelings of pity or disgust from a Christan rather than lust and desire.

The secular world is geared to trick you into thinking debauchery is normal and acceptable. Jesus tells us to be in the world but not "OF" the world. This is a challenge for everyone.

Here are a few sites that might help:

http://www.sexrespect.com/
http://reallove.net/index2.asp?CID=1
http://www.chastitycall.org/
http://www.faithfulandtrueministries.com/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Confess your sins unto Christ [via his priest in the Sacrament of Confession]. When one falls into this particular sin, it is very very difficult to stop. I know, when the devil tempts me, I have failed horribly and miserably in the past: but each time, remember our Good Lord LOVES you. He is LOVE and CHARITY itself. I have to constantly remind myself of that whenever, I sin mortally----or even when I sin venially.

That I must be fully and completely contrite, and make a "firm purpose of amendment," and get to the Holy Sacrament of Confession!

Please, be strong, in that, pray for our Blessed Lord Jesus to strengthen thee in his Holy Grace, he will help. Do not listen to the despair and voice of the Devil or his demons which always seek to turn us aside from God drag in unto to the abyss of Hellish Perdition-----NO!, We must be strong in Christ. Pray, Pray, Pray! It's very hard. I know as I've fallen many a time from such sins. And still struggle with them: but I do not stop. Christ in Holy Writ saith, that we're all "Called to be saints;" Thus take comfort, pray for our Lord to strengthen you and you will not fail! You shall be a saint yet!

Remember what our Good Lord prescribed to the Holy Apostles, likewise, his priests, shall forgive you!
Don't worry, take Luke 17, verses 3 &4 to heart: And know that you'll be forgiven!
Luke XVII:3-4
3 Take heed to yourselves. If thy brother sin against thee, reprove him: and if he do penance, forgive him. 4 And if he sin against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day be converted unto thee, saying, I repent; forgive him.

:prayer:

+Christ keep and bless you+
-Your brother-in-Christ-
-Matthew

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.