Visit site
✟30,904.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi to brothers and sisters from Vietnam.

Someone ask me:

Is there a Divine Liturgy this Sunday and what time and address and directions from Ho Chi Minh? Thank you.

If you know where is an Orthodox Divine Liturgy in a town of Vietnam please tell me.

Thanks.

:)

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there a Divine Liturgy this Sunday and what time and address and directions from Ho Chi Minh? Thank you.

If you know where is an Orthodox Divine Liturgy in a town of Vietnam please tell me.

There is (or at least used to be) a Russian Orthodox church in Vung Tau.

Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟30,904.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
There is (or at least used to be) a Russian Orthodox church in Vung Tau.

Nice! Thanks a lot! God bless you! I will tell him! Do you know the address of this Russian Orthodox Church in Vung Tau?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nice! Thanks a lot! God bless you! I will tell him! Do you know the address of this Russian Orthodox Church in Vung Tau?

Sorry, no. I can't even confirm that it's still there.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think he is on Facebook too under the same name if you wanna contact him there
I forwarded the thread to him on FB but we aren't friends. So if he's on messenger I think it's easy to see, but if not, it might be easy to miss.

Upvote 0

Principal Moo

St. Alexius, pray for me!
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2016
Virginian living in Hanoi
✟89,896.00
Country
Viet Nam
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone,

Sorry about the delay in responding (and thanks to Anastasia for reaching out to me).

Unfortunately, I do not know much about the EO in Ho Chi Minh City or Vung Tau. I live in Hanoi, which is a considerable (airplane flight) distance away. When I began searching for an EO priest in Vietnam, I discovered that there was once a mission in Vung Tau, but I could not find any more information.

Here in Hanoi, a priest from the Russian Orthodox Church will visit. The priest varies; it used to be one priest, but he was assigned to the Philippines. Another priest visited a couple weeks ago and he was from Singapore. There are plans to have our own church here in Hanoi (under the patronage of St. Xsenia), but I do not know what the latest word on that is.

Sorry I could not be of more help!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone,

Sorry about the delay in responding (and thanks to Anastasia for reaching out to me).

Unfortunately, I do not know much about the EO in Ho Chi Minh City or Vung Tau. I live in Hanoi, which is a considerable (airplane flight) distance away. When I began searching for an EO priest in Vietnam, I discovered that there was once a mission in Vung Tau, but I could not find any more information.

Here in Hanoi, a priest from the Russian Orthodox Church will visit. The priest varies; it used to be one priest, but he was assigned to the Philippines. Another priest visited a couple weeks ago and he was from Singapore. There are plans to have our own church here in Hanoi (under the patronage of St. Xsenia), but I do not know what the latest word on that is.

Sorry I could not be of more help!

Thank you for the reply. I thought it was probably a long shot, since you don't have your own priest there either.

Seems Vietnam is a country we need to reach out to more ...

I wish we had been able to come up with something.

I'm a little confused about how jurisdictions are operating. It's ROCOR that your priest was from? So I wonder if they are particularly reaching out in Vietnam? Maybe they would be the ones to contact, but I'm not even sure of the actual situation, since i guess only @Abel Gkiouzelis knows?

Upvote 0

Principal Moo

Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2016
✟89,896.00
Country
Viet Nam
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the reply. I thought it was probably a long shot, since you don't have your own priest there either.

Seems Vietnam is a country we need to reach out to more ...

I wish we had been able to come up with something.

I'm a little confused about how jurisdictions are operating. It's ROCOR that your priest was from? So I wonder if they are particularly reaching out in Vietnam? Maybe they would be the ones to contact, but I'm not even sure of the actual situation, since i guess only @Abel Gkiouzelis knows?

Forgive me if I say something incorrectly (still learning all the terminology).

I believe we are technically under the jurisdiction of the Orthodox Metropolitanate of Hong Kong and Southeast Asia. However, I have attempted to contact them several times and never received a response. I just checked and their website is down.

The priests that visit us are from the Moscow Patriarchate, not the ROCOR. In fact, the Metropolitan visited us a few months ago and told us that we would have our own church.

I just remembered that my Russian friend (he always helps me when I attend the Divine Liturgy) is a very devout man and is always able to obtain information. I will ask him about the Orthodox in Ho Chi Minh City and Vung Tau and report back here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Principal Moo

Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2016
✟89,896.00
Country
Viet Nam
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Update:

My friend informed me that they do not have an EO church in Ho Chi Minh City.

In Vung Tau, which is a two-hour bus ride from HCMC, a priest visits twice a year.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me if I say something incorrectly (still learning all the terminology).

I believe we are technically under the jurisdiction of the Orthodox Metropolitanate of Hong Kong and Southeast Asia. However, I have attempted to contact them several times and never received a response. I just checked and their website is down.

The priests that visit us are from the Moscow Patriarchate, not the ROCOR. In fact, the Metropolitan visited us a few months ago and told us that we would have our own church.

I just remembered that my Russian friend (he always helps me when I attend the Divine Liturgy) is a very devout man and is always able to obtain information. I will ask him about the Orthodox in Ho Chi Minh City and Vung Tau and report back here.
Ah, ok, I see.

I don't know much about jurisdictions and patriarchates either - too far up for me to need to worry about. :)

Thank you for checking into this. :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Update:

My friend informed me that they do not have an EO church in Ho Chi Minh City.

In Vung Tau, which is a two-hour bus ride from HCMC, a priest visits twice a year.

Wow. Wow ... and we feel under great hardship here if a Church is 2-3 hour drive away.

Thank you for the info.

Prayers for Vietnam! It will be easy to remember. My husband was born there.

Upvote 0

Principal Moo

Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2016
✟89,896.00
Country
Viet Nam
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wow. Wow ... and we feel under great hardship here if a Church is 2-3 hour drive away.

Thank you for the info.

Prayers for Vietnam! It will be easy to remember. My husband was born there.

If we had a church 2 hours from here, I am sure that the community here would rent a bus for us!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If we had a church 2 hours from here, I am sure that the community here would rent a bus for us!
I can understand.

The difficulty for folks here is tha at first, there is usually no community either. Do you have reader services there when the priest does not come?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟30,904.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate

Thanks a lot, my dear brother about your informations! I will tell all these to my friend in Vietnam!

Upvote 0