Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I have a question.
I forgot to ask my priest today.
I got baptized and christmated today and he said do not wash the oil off.
How long do I wait to take a shower and or bath?

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a question.

Lol I don't know, but congratulations anyway.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a question.
LOL (about washing off the oil)
I think you mean baptized and confirmed. Unless a new expression is being used that I don't know about.
Leave the oil on until the next time you have to wash your face.

I'm posting the following links for information for those interested:

Roman Catholicism
In the Roman Catholic Church, the Oil of Catechumens is specially blessed by a bishop or a priest along with Chrism and oil of the sick at the Mass of Chrism which takes place on Holy Thursday.

During the baptismal rite, the priest says the following words as he anoints with the oil in the shape of a cross, "We anoint you with the oil of salvation in the name of Christ our Savior; may he strengthen you with his power, who lives and reigns for ever and ever."

Oil of catechumens - Wikipedia

and

Why do we use olive oil in a baptism? How much Holy oil is needed?

Olive oil – and not vegetable or other oil - is used to anoint the baptized individual into the Orthodox faith. The reason Orthodox Christians use olive oil is biblical and dates back to the time of Noah and the flooding of the earth. God flooded the earth and had Noah, a believer, build an arc. God was, in essence, baptizing the earth with the flood.

After forty days, Noah sent out a dove that came back with a twig from an olive branch. The olive twig was a sign of mercy from God that he had saved Noah, a believer. Just as the olive healed and soothed Noah during the baptism of the planet, Orthodox Christians use the olive oil as a sign of grace to the newly anointed.

How much is needed? A little Holy oil goes a long way! About 3-4 ounces of Holy oil is used during a baptism. Blessed Celebration's oil bottles hold enough oil for the ceremony. They are a minimum of 6 ounces and size up from there.

source: https://www.blessedcelebration.com/Articles.asp?ID=285

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
LOL (about washing off the oil)
I think you mean baptized and confirmed. Unless a new expression is being used that I don't know about.
Leave the oil on until the next time you have to wash your face.

I'm posting the following links for information for those interested:

Roman Catholicism
In the Roman Catholic Church, the Oil of Catechumens is specially blessed by a bishop or a priest along with Chrism and oil of the sick at the Mass of Chrism which takes place on Holy Thursday.

During the baptismal rite, the priest says the following words as he anoints with the oil in the shape of a cross, "We anoint you with the oil of salvation in the name of Christ our Savior; may he strengthen you with his power, who lives and reigns for ever and ever."

Oil of catechumens - Wikipedia

and

Why do we use olive oil in a baptism? How much Holy oil is needed?

Olive oil – and not vegetable or other oil - is used to anoint the baptized individual into the Orthodox faith. The reason Orthodox Christians use olive oil is biblical and dates back to the time of Noah and the flooding of the earth. God flooded the earth and had Noah, a believer, build an arc. God was, in essence, baptizing the earth with the flood.

After forty days, Noah sent out a dove that came back with a twig from an olive branch. The olive twig was a sign of mercy from God that he had saved Noah, a believer. Just as the olive healed and soothed Noah during the baptism of the planet, Orthodox Christians use the olive oil as a sign of grace to the newly anointed.

How much is needed? A little Holy oil goes a long way! About 3-4 ounces of Holy oil is used during a baptism. Blessed Celebration's oil bottles hold enough oil for the ceremony. They are a minimum of 6 ounces and size up from there.

source: https://www.blessedcelebration.com/Articles.asp?ID=285
The OP is Eastern Orthodox, not Roman Catholic. Chrismation would be similar to Catholic confirmation, but is done immediately after baptism.

Chrismation - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a question.
Welcome home and may God grant you many years!
My priest told me not to bathe or wash the oil off for three days after my baptism and Chrismation, but I don’t know if that holds true across jurisdictions.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My priest told me not to bathe or wash the oil off for three days after my baptism and Chrismation, but I don’t know if that holds true across jurisdictions.
That’s what I read. I guess I’ll have to just use dry shampoo lol!

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a question.
Wonderful news! Many years!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would say ask your priest.

FWIW I wasn't told not to bathe. I was told to rub the chrism into my skin. (We are told the same with other sacramental oils.) But to be told to wait three days wouldn't surprise me as a possible custom in some jurisdictions. I certainly would not have rushed to wash it off. I think the assumption with us is that it will be absorbed into the skin.

I was told to be careful in washing the (towels, clothing, etc) that might have chrism on it. That instruction was to wash it in a bucket or container so that I could pour the water into a place where it wouldn't be walked upon (like a flower bed) ... rather than flushing it into the wastewater/sewer system where it would go without such care.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a question.
Forgive me - my brain is not with me today.

Glory to God - and Welcome Home! Such wonderful news!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The OP is Eastern Orthodox, not Roman Catholic. Chrismation would be similar to Catholic confirmation, but is done immediately after baptism.

Chrismation - Wikipedia
Thanks for the info and article.
I thought I had posted an Orthodox article too....
I read yours.
In RC, for an adult catechumen, confirmation is also done following baptism.
If there is a Bishop available, baptism may be done by the priest and then the person can be confirmed by the Bishop...or whenever the Bishop is available to that Parish.

• Informative
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm in an Orthodox Forum.
I must begin to be careful about this....
Have done this before.

Sorry to all.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a question.

the next time you would normally shower or take a bath (unless you'd normally take one right after).

and welcome home!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have done this before.

Sorry to all.
No real harm done.

Welcome (back) to TAW. :) You're always welcome in fellowship. Do be careful though if you can remember - some forums are especially touchy.

I've done it too, more than once. I TRY to remember to scroll up anytime I open a new thread, to check where it's located. But I have forgotten sometimes. We just want to keep folks out of trouble though. :)

God be with you.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have a question.

Welcome home and many years!

I was told the same as Paisios. Don't wash it off for 3 days, and on the third day rinse off in the sea.

Father told me not to rinse for 3 days, and my Godfamily told me to rinse in the sea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No real harm done.

Welcome (back) to TAW. :) You're always welcome in fellowship. Do be careful though if you can remember - some forums are especially touchy.

I've done it too, more than once. I TRY to remember to scroll up anytime I open a new thread, to check where it's located. But I have forgotten sometimes. We just want to keep folks out of trouble though. :)

God be with you.
You're so nice Anastasia, thanks for the above.
Maybe the special forums should be in a different color?

Anyway, yes, I find persons on here friendly and they don't get upset if I make a mistake and think I'm in a regular forum...this is the sign of a "real" Christian.
John 13:35

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You're so nice Anastasia, thanks for the above.
Maybe the special forums should be in a different color?

Anyway, yes, I find persons on here friendly and they don't get upset if I make a mistake and think I'm in a regular forum...this is the sign of a "real" Christian.
John 13:35
Well, most forums have restrictions of some type. Some of them are automatically enforced (such as married people being unable to post in singles, and I think any non-Christian designation is now severely limited). But there would have to be so many colors it probably wouldn't make sense.

But you can always make suggestions to those in charge of such things. :) They try out new improvements sometimes.

There are the congregational forums limited to that group, some limited by topic (like Traditional Theology and others), some don't allow debate, some don't allow theological discussion, some demand all Christians be allowed to post their own thoughts without opposing any other, and so on.

I think that's why most people have a handful of forums where they do most of their posting.

I just hope we can be welcoming and yet at the same time sometimes we have to protect those new in the faith or inquiring.

Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome home and many years!

I was told the same as Paisios. Don't wash it off for 3 days, and on the third day rinse off in the sea.

Father told me not to rinse for 3 days, and my Godfamily told me to rinse in the sea.

I am glad I wasn’t told to wash it off in the sea...baptized at Theophany in New England...brrrr that water is cold!

Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the info and article.
I thought I had posted an Orthodox article too....
I read yours.
In RC, for an adult catechumen, confirmation is also done following baptism.
If there is a Bishop available, baptism may be done by the priest and then the person can be confirmed by the Bishop...or whenever the Bishop is available to that Parish.

Thanks for the information. It is interesting to hear how different traditions do things differently.

Have done this before.

Sorry to all.
I don’t think you did any harm or offended anyone.

I’ve (accidentally) posted that could be seen to go against Catholic teaching in the Catholic forum not realizing where I was. I apologized and retracted. Such things happen.

• Friendly
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Glory to God, many years!

I wasn’t told anything about this personally when I was chrismated. I didn’t wash it off right away but there also wasn’t even that much on me, if I remember correctly (I’ve had more oil on me for Holy Unction and when the priest is just anointing us after Liturgy for other reasons, tbh) - I’m guessing it absorbed into my skin within a few hours

Upvote 0