Can Christians Watch Chainsaw Man?

fatherforgivethem

He will never leave you nor forsake you.
Mar 16, 2021
Brazil
✟13,914.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want to talk about Chainsaw Man. What do you think of it, in a "christian view"?

Some context: it's a shounen manga published on Jump and it was very popular. It's about humans doing contracts with demons to fight and DEFEAT other demons. The ones that they make contract are captured and arrested, so the humans can do the contract, so they gain enough power to fight other demons.

I read the entire manga months ago and liked it, but right now I'm feeling like "is that wrong? Does God forbid it?". I believe in God and I'm doing my best to follow him, so I'm afraid of it.

The manga revolves around using demons and fighting them, and obviously demons are not a good thing to God. But it's complete fiction and I know that. Also I never felt anything wrong or bothering me while reading it. And I am 100% aware that it's complete fiction and I'll never take any lessons or influences about that to my life, I just read it as simple entertainment and a hobby. Even then is it still wrong or sin?

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Manga is fiction and should be read and viewed as fiction. It does not need to worry you nor should it influence you. However, if it makes you feel "bad" then there is also little to edify you from that manga, so there is also no harm in just not watching it any longer. But I would not view it as sinful in and of itself from what you are describing.

Upvote 0

fatherforgivethem

He will never leave you nor forsake you.
Mar 16, 2021
Brazil
✟13,914.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Manga is fiction and should be read and viewed as fiction. It does not need to worry you nor should it influence you. However, if it makes you feel "bad" then there is also little to edify you from that manga, so there is also no harm in just not watching it any longer. But I would not view it as sinful in and of itself from what you are describing.

Thanks! I'll just add a little bit more specific info about what I feel, if you can follow up, thanks.

The manga does not make me feel bad at all, it never did. What is making me feel "bad" is the FEAR of doing something wrong and not knowing that it is wrong. Because when I think about it, only God knows what is wrong or not, so even if ME and YOU don't think it's wrong reading this manga while being aware and just as a pure entertainment, maybe for God it is wrong EVEN under these circumstances.

I'm looking forward to read the part 2 when it releases. So it's the fear of doing something God forbids and not knowing it, even if I don't feel like it's a wrong thing at all. Did you get it?

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In general, God does not punish for ignorance. I don't see a problem reading it, unless it leads you to desire some sin or another. Simply reading a fictitious book is not sinful, but it could lead one to sin. If it does not lead you to sin, then I do not see a problem. Perhaps seek the advice of your pastor, if you are concerned. We also have pastors here that can advise you: Chaplains Office

Upvote 0

EpicScore

Sep 16, 2017
✟41,079.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
One thing to keep in mind when you're consuming any kind of fiction is that they usually express a particular worldview (intentionally or not), and values on what they consider "right" and "wrong", which may or may not conflict with the Biblical standards. It is important to discern the values these work represent and be careful that they don't lead you to compromise with your own values.

I've read Chainsaw Man; I have no problems with their general premise of people forming contracts with demons, since the demons in the series seems different from the Biblical definition of the devil, who tempts people into sin and accuse them. In the context of the series, I see the characters using external spiritual powers to fight "evil". There's nothing wrong with that.

I actually have more problems with the fact that most of the "heroes" themselves seem to lack any moral values. Denji mainly fights because Makima promises him a better life. Aki fights for revenge. Others seem to fight just because. Many character commit acts that violates Biblical moral, but is treated as normal in the series.

But I suppose that if you can discern when the values presented in the work is against the Bible, and remain convicted to the truth of the Bible despite the opposing views the work espouses, then you should be fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0