catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm asking in order to gain more understanding, not to debate anything.

Please anyone wanting to debate something start a new thread.

Let this thread be about saying what "faith" means to us, so that we gain understanding of others.

I've noticed, including with my close Catholic friend (who is a brother of mine in Christ, and whom I love) with whom I talk for hours at times, that Catholics seem to use the word "faith" in a way that is unlike my own usage (which is very simple: 'belief in God'). I don't mean they don't overlap! I mean that I can tell it means something more or different or not identical to how I use the word, so I thought I'd ask what does the word "faith" mean when Catholics use the word?

Last edited:

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just a heads-up ... I know this is "denomination-specific" but you might also want to ask in the Catholic community forum(s) as here it often becomes a matter of debate.

I can't really answer for Catholics - I may be wrong. But my guess would be that "faith" means far more than "simple belief, mental assent, expectation". The early Church would not have taught that such "saves". After all, even the demons "believe" and even tremble. But rather salvation involves living one's life in cooperation with that belief, "running the race" as St. Paul said.

I hope you find your answer, and hope I have not misrepresented within my simple attempt.

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Anastasia, you have not. Faith is an action, it's not just a mental assent that God exists. We believe you should live your faith, that it should be apparent that you are a person of faith. I don't know that it's very concrete.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just a heads-up ... I know this is "denomination-specific" but you might also want to ask in the Catholic community forum(s) as here it often becomes a matter of debate.

I can't really answer for Catholics - I may be wrong. But my guess would be that "faith" means far more than "simple belief, mental assent, expectation". The early Church would not have taught that such "saves". After all, even the demons "believe" and even tremble. But rather salvation involves living one's life in cooperation with that belief, "running the race" as St. Paul said.

I hope you find your answer, and hope I have not misrepresented within my simple attempt.

Yes, I think I asked this at the wrong time of day, and maybe wrong place, to get a quick answer. Good advice to watch out for people getting into mere contentiousness or debate. I was thinking I'd try to watch the responses and be sure they follow all the guidelines, like a police officer. I don't actually want to debate this in even a friendly way -- I don't think there is something to debate. Instead I want to have better communication and understanding. People really do use even very fundamental words in different ways, and often don't realize they are not talking about the same thing, and end up arguing just for that reason.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Anastasia, you have not. Faith is an action, it's not just a mental assent that God exists. We believe you should live your faith, that it should be apparent that you are a person of faith. I don't know that it's very concrete.
Thank you.

Interesting, isn't it? I'm often explaining that love is an action, not a feeling. Faith is action, not simple belief. Our modern understanding of words loses something in translation, doesn't it?

• Informative
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's very interesting to blend more than one meaning into the word. As I use the word, I often end up saying something like "faith leads to actions", or "real faith leads to good works" or something like that. But it's interesting to blend together meanings. I wonder if I even have understanding of what it means to you yet!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I think I asked this at the wrong time of day, and maybe wrong place, to get a quick answer. Good advice to watch out for people getting into mere contentiousness or debate. I was thinking I'd try to watch the responses and be sure they follow all the guidelines, like a police officer. I don't actually want to debate this in even a friendly way -- I don't think there is something to debate. Instead I want to have better communication and understanding. People really do use even very fundamental words in different ways, and often don't realize they are not talking about the same thing, and end up arguing just for that reason.

Good observations. Often our words create gulfs greater than they need to be - especially in matters if religion.

I really dislike contention as well. It seems sometimes to be invited when pointing out differences between this belief and that, but in most cases it's more profitable to focus on the truths we have in common. :)

• Agree
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's very interesting to blend more than one meaning into the word. As I use the word, I often end up saying something like "faith leads to actions", or "real faith leads to good works" or something like that. But it's interesting to blend together meanings. I wonder if I even have understanding of what it means to you yet!

I still think sometimes on what it means - "faith without works is dead". It's not just a description of the state of one's faith. Faith LIVES through our actions. Whatever faith we might have dies if our actions don't line up with it.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've noticed, including with my close Catholic friend (who is a brother of mine in Christ, and whom I love) with whom I talk for hours at times, that Catholics seem to use the word "faith" in a way that is unlike my own usage (which is very simple: 'belief in God').

There is a difference between the kind of faith in which we believe in the existence of God and the kind of faith given by the grace of God that compels us to be followers of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. James 2:14-26 lays it out very well.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a difference between the kind of faith in which we believe in the existence of God and the kind of faith given by the grace of God that compels us to be followers of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. James 2:14-26 lays it out very well.
Interesting. As I've thought of it, if faith is real, it compels that following, soon.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm asking in order to gain more understanding, not to debate anything.

Please anyone wanting to debate something start a new thread.

Let this thread be about saying what "faith" means to us, so that we gain understanding of others.

I've noticed, including with my close Catholic friend (who is a brother of mine in Christ, and whom I love) with whom I talk for hours at times, that Catholics seem to use the word "faith" in a way that is unlike my own usage (which is very simple: 'belief in God'). I don't mean they don't overlap! I mean that I can tell it means something more or different or not identical to how I use the word, so I thought I'd ask what does the word "faith" mean when Catholics use the word?
I don't know why Catholics should define the word any differently than anyone, since I think it is one of the most important points in Christianity. I would use the synonym "trust" to define "faith."

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I still think sometimes on what it means - "faith without works is dead". It's not just a description of the state of one's faith. Faith LIVES through our actions. Whatever faith we might have dies if our actions don't line up with it.

This is an interesting point to consider. I hadn't thought of it in just that way. That is a way of thinking that fits Matthew 7:24 through 27.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is an interesting point to consider. I hadn't thought of it in just that way. That is a way of thinking that fits Matthew 7:24 through 27.
I hadn't considered it in light of that passage but it does fit.

Jesus talked a LOT about what we DO.

Upvote 0