• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Question about Alters ...

Sarcoline

Feb 1, 2018
USA
✟12,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Referring to the main altar as a main altar is more than like just a way of describing a part that is the most integrated. From what I remember in reading testimonies, an altar can develop that knows about the other altars. This is often referred to as the main altar, but they are really just more self aware than other parts.

The process of dissociation is more about how the mind creates habits for storing memory, not about how the mind can be sectioned into different parts.

This is why there are different number of alters in each person diagnosed with DID and everyone doesn’t have the same number of alters.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just curious....why do you ask?
Long story. (highlights only)

I ran into some thing/one/whatever about 30 years ago that was her but was not her. It was during prayer.

My wife became aware recently that she may carry an alter, and it may actually be her true self. God showed her something about it while she was praying.

We had a talk with our congregational leader and his wife 2 weeks ago about this. Since alters apparently are a result of trauma or other very negative situations at an early age, this one had something to do with events she is not aware of, way before the sexual abuse.

When she told me about it, (before she contacted the pastor's wife) I told her I loved her.
She replied "How can you? You may have never even met me."

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

I ran into some thing/one/whatever about 30 years ago that was her but was not her. It was during prayer.

My wife became aware recently that she may carry an alter, and it may actually be her true self. God showed her something about it while she was praying.

We had a talk with our congregational leader and his wife 2 weeks ago about this. Since alters apparently are a result of trauma or other very negative situations at an early age, this one had something to do with events she is not aware of, way before the sexual abuse.

When she told me about it, (before she contacted the pastor's wife) I told her I loved her.

:heart: God bless you, and your wife for your care and compassion. Praying for this precious one and you and your wife too, and all who are helping her.

Upvote 0

KayJoy

Oct 13, 2014
home is where the heart is <3
✟20,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Has it ever turned out that an alter was actually the main persona?
Even if it had remained hidden for years?

The answer is yes. For many with DID, the front person who you would meet is actually an alter or even a group of alters. (Such was the case with me.) This doesn't mean you've never met her ... in fact, you may have met many alters already without knowing it. Maybe reassure her that you love all parts of her and will walk with her through bringing all of her parts together into one... no matter how long it takes.

Btw, with someone who is DID, usually the first abuse that is remembered is sexual abuse at a specific age. The mind protects the main front alters from knowing so they can remain functioning in life. As she moves forward in healing, don't be surprised if she remembers more severe trauma at a younger age than first remembered.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

danyl1967

Mar 12, 2013
✟15,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Has it ever turned out that an alter was actually the main persona?
Even if it had remained hidden for years?

I have been diagnosed with DID. My psychologist has said to me that all alters is the real person. Not just one. At the time I was not ready for the therapy to reintegrate me into one person. Mainly because I was not ready to remember all the trauma of my past. I realized for now I need my DID to deal with extreme trauma.

So I would say, that all your alters is you and they all need love and acceptance by you.

Upvote 0

KayJoy

Oct 13, 2014
home is where the heart is <3
✟20,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been diagnosed with DID. My psychologist has said to me that all alters is the real person. Not just one. At the time I was not ready for the therapy to reintegrate me into one person. Mainly because I was not ready to remember all the trauma of my past. I realized for now I need my DID to deal with extreme trauma.

So I would say, that all your alters is you and they all need love and acceptance by you.

Excellent answer! I fully agree with you. There may be some alters who have more sense of self than other parts, but all are parts of the real person.

Upvote 0

Hope37

Jun 10, 2018
Norwich
✟15,581.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I have parts of self tucked away from previous times. I count every part as being part of a whole me although some seem a bit distorted (like bitter or angry or full of shame) and don't seem much like the personality I feel is mine. In prayer I found younger ones I didn't know were there. My feeling is I sort of left them behind when I was little and grew round them to cope. I realise I have pushed some away too which I feel bad about now. But they are all me, from various perspectives and angles. My most functional adult self doesn't contain much sensitivity and isn't much like my self the next one down who can't talk and is in a lot of pain. I think I'd consider the one in pain more real than the coping one at the front!

• Informative
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0