Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Queer eye for the straight guy
Brent Bozell

July 20, 2003

Viacom recently announced that its plan to create a gay and lesbian culture channel, co-managed by the gay-friendly MTV and Showtime networks, has been shelved. Here's one good reason: NBC's Bravo network is rapidly becoming the go-to gay channel.

A quick check of the Bravo Web site on July 17 finds promotion for the upcoming dating show "Boy Meets Boy," a gay-male reality dating show a la "The Bachelor," with the twist that some of the "gay" bachelors are really playacting heterosexuals. The site also promotes their airing of the 1999 movie "Flawless" with this sentence: "Can a homophobic stroke victim and a flamboyant drag queen help each other find self-esteem?" Traditional values are so misguided they've become an illness. Don't you love those films where the ultraconservative character recovers from the illness of his ways?

But the first blooming flower of this cultural revolution was "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," which premiered on Tuesday, July 15, to record numbers for Bravo. Their ratings at that hour rose from No. 38 to No. 2. Bravo quickly planned a rerun for Thursday to build viewership.

The premise of the show is for a "Fab Five" of gay men to "transform a style-deficient and culture-deprived straight man from drab to fab" in each of their respective categories: fashion, food and wine, interior design, grooming and culture. Bravo's publicity copy also explained: "Straight guys turn in their pleats for flat fronts, learn about wines that don't come in a jug and come to understand why hand soap is not a good shampoo (and vice versa). When the journey is done, a freshly scrubbed, newly enlightened, ultra-hip man emerges."
And I want to vomit.

Tom Shales of The Washington Post objected to the "stereotypes on parade" in this series, and I agree. It's stereotypical to think of only gay men as top-notch connoisseurs of food, wine, culture, design and grooming. How heterophobic. It's the Gay Supremacy Hour. I'm sure I'm not the only one who reads Bravo's ad copy and wonders if we're talking hate crimes here. Ever seen a show more dedicated to a "straight-bashing" proposition?

Try this idea for a show, and tell me how many seconds it would last in a Hollywood pitch session: "A team of five fabulous straight guys teach a masculinity-deprived gay man how to throw a football, hunt for game, drink something manlier than fruity wine coolers and appreciate the fiction of Tom Clancy. When the journey is done, a newly enlightened, ultra-manly man emerges."

Why not? Let's try it with a racial twist, where blacks are cured of their stereotyped fancy for fried chicken, watermelon and malt liquor. Any takers in enlightened Tinseltown? It almost makes you want to start a Straight Male Anti-Defamation Alliance. But guess what? That's not very manly.

Lesbians can forget copycatting this show. You can't imagine a team of five lesbians teaching a straight girl how to be more appealing to men. Here's why: "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" is not pitched at the straight guy. It's pitched at the straight girl. It's "Will and Grace" for the reality-show set. Straight guys aren't the most attracted demographic to "makeover" shows. If you doubt me, witness the array of commercials on the premiere: chick flicks, makeup, leg razors, designer eyeglasses, designer SUVs. (The show is almost a parody of product placement, a veritable plug-a-minute infomercial. Redken hair products received four separate plugs.)

When you watch the show, the "Fab Five" are constantly insulting the "fashion victim," acting especially horrified at the show's beginning. He's asked if he gets all his clothing at Home Depot and if his drawers are "organized by ugly, uglier and ugliest." The interior designer suggests the guy's apartment looks like the home of a psychopath: "without you here to represent yourself, I would have looked at this and called the police." Another calls it "a crack den." But it evolves -- yippee! -- into a we-kid-because-we-love ethos, and the show ends with everybody being thrilled about how the fairy godfathers have created the straight man's new looks and new confidence.

It's also -- surprise, surprise -- drenched in references to raw, perverted homosexual sex. In the premiere, the lads wonder whether stains are from "soy sauce or boy sauce," wear aprons from the "Horny as Hell Kitchen," and goad the straight man with constant pleas to undress, try out the new bed with a friend and kiss the designers.

This crud may be acceptable for that element in our culture that's already earning an advanced degree in Sin Acceptance. But it's also acceptable to the gang at NBC and the suits upstairs at General Electric? Remember this when you buy your next light bulb: Is GE always bringing good things to life?

From http://www.townhall.com/columnists/brentbozell/bb20030720.shtml

Inspired

only hurts when I breathe
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
http://www.bravotv.com/Boy_Meets_Boy/
The link to the site, and nowhere on the site is the word homophobic let alone the supposed quote.

If you don't want to watch it, you are free to turn the channel, no one is forcing you to watch it.

Queer eye for the straight guy is hilairious, and same goes here, don't want to watch it, turn the channel.

Upvote 0

Woodsy

Returned From Afar.
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2003
Pacific NW
✟35,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Inspired said:
http://www.bravotv.com/Boy_Meets_Boy/
The link to the site, and nowhere on the site is the word homophobic let alone the supposed quote.
Read what I posted. The "homophobic" quote was from Bravo's ad campaign for a different movie, not the TV Show "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" or "Boy meets Boy."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dayton

Aug 4, 2003
✟623.00
Inspired said:
If you don't want to watch it, you are free to turn the channel, no one is forcing you to watch it.

I agree with Inspired. Homosexual sex acts are wrong, but the show is not about trying to recruit a straight man into being gay, which is impossible. If you don't want to watch, change the channel.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The problem is that it suggests that only a gay man can show a straight man how to dress.

**Warning: The following is sarcasm.**

Whew! I'm glad they're here to save us from ourselves. I'd hate to go the rest of my life being unfashonable. What did we do before shows like this?

**End of sarcasm**

I think I'll stick to the tried and true method for men's fashon......

I'll ask my wife.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think I have ever watched a more boring show than Queer Eye. It was goofier (not in a good way) than Trading Spaces, without any of the useful information or entertaining situations. Trading Spaces is hardly my favorite show, but if you are into the "reality" makeover stuff, it's far better than Queer Eye.

Plus, the gay men act so campy on that show, I think they are straight guys putting on that they are gay. None of the gays I know are that camp, it's got to be an act.

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lambslove said:
I don't think I have ever watched a more boring show than Queer Eye. It was goofier (not in a good way) than Trading Spaces, without any of the useful information or entertaining situations. Trading Spaces is hardly my favorite show, but if you are into the "reality" makeover stuff, it's far better than Queer Eye.

Plus, the gay men act so campy on that show, I think they are straight guys putting on that they are gay. None of the gays I know are that camp, it's got to be an act.

LOL I know plenty of gay men that act EXACTLY as those men did.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.