Minnesota
✟214,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Davidic line of of queens started with Solomon's mother. The importance of this office of queen is expressed in 1 Kings 2:19 “So Bathsheba went Solomon, to speak to him on behalf of Adonijah. And the king rose to meet her, and bowed down to her; then he sat on his throne, and had a seat brought for the king’s mother; and she sat on his right.” Note the difference with King Solomon's wives, they bowed down before him. This shows just how important was the office of the queen.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,441.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The Davidic line of of queens started with Solomon's mother. The importance of this office of queen is expressed in 1 Kings 2:19 “So Bathsheba went Solomon, to speak to him on behalf of Adonijah. And the king rose to meet her, and bowed down to her; then he sat on his throne, and had a seat brought for the king’s mother; and she sat on his right.” Note the difference with King Solomon's wives, they bowed down before him. This shows just how important was the office of the queen.

Legally, all queens shared the same rights. Concubines had a different status with lesser rights. Their children were not in the line to inherit the throne.

Technically, the heir to David's throne should have been Michal's oldest son, except that David put her away and had no children with her. That brings us to Abigail who was the mother of David's second-born son, Daniel. Because Daniel was born second, his elder half-brother, Amnon, was the rightful heir to the throne. However, I will leave it to you to find out what happened with Amnon, as well as Absalom.

It is very likely that David had other wives (e.g. queens) as well as concubines (only ten are listed because of their outcome, and they are not listed by name). It is virtually certain that David fathered numerous daughters in addition to Tamar, whose unfortunate story made it into the biography of David. It is also extremely likely that David sired numerous other sons, especially through his concubines.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Legally, all queens shared the same rights. Concubines had a different status with lesser rights. Their children were not in the line to inherit the throne.

Technically, the heir to David's throne should have been Michal's oldest son, except that David put her away and had no children with her. That brings us to Abigail who was the mother of David's second-born son, Daniel. Because Daniel was born second, his elder half-brother, Amnon, was the rightful heir to the throne. However, I will leave it to you to find out what happened with Amnon, as well as Absalom.

It is very likely that David had other wives (e.g. queens) as well as concubines (only ten are listed because of their outcome, and they are not listed by name). It is virtually certain that David fathered numerous daughters in addition to Tamar, whose unfortunate story made it into the biography of David. It is also extremely likely that David sired numerous other sons, especially through his concubines.
As I said, The Davidic line of of queens started with Solomon's mother. The queen is the MOTHER of the king, not the wife. The king did not bow down to any wives, the Word of God shows us how important the queen is, these words of God are a gift to you and me.

Reactions: Eloy Craft
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To address your question I will reply with precisely what is written in the Bible about David's Queen(s).

Queen #1 - Michal

I Samuel 18:20 Now Michal, Saul’s daughter, loved David. When they told Saul, the thing was agreeable to him. 21 Saul thought, “I will give her to him that she may become a snare to him, and that the hand of the Philistines may be against him.” Therefore Saul said to David, “For a second time you may be my son-in-law today.” 22 Then Saul commanded his servants, “Speak to David secretly, saying, ‘Behold, the king delights in you, and all his servants love you; now therefore, become the king’s son-in-law.’” 23 So Saul’s servants spoke these words to David. But David said, “Is it trivial in your sight to become the king’s son-in-law, since I am a poor man and lightly esteemed?” 24 The servants of Saul reported to him according to these words which David spoke. 25 Saul then said, “Thus you shall say to David, ‘The king does not desire any dowry except a hundred foreskins of the Philistines, to take vengeance on the king’s enemies.’” Now Saul planned to make David fall by the hand of the Philistines. 26 When his servants told David these words, it pleased David to become the king’s son-in-law. Before the days had expired 27 David rose up and went, he and his men, and struck down two hundred men among the Philistines. Then David brought their foreskins, and they gave them in full number to the king, that he might become the king’s son-in-law. So Saul gave him Michal his daughter for a wife.

However, that was not the end of the Michal story.

I Samuel 25:44 Now Saul had given Michal his daughter, David’s wife, to Palti the son of Laish, who was from Gallim.

II Samuel 3:12 Then Abner sent messengers to David in his place, saying, “Whose is the land? Make your covenant with me, and behold, my hand shall be with you to bring all Israel over to you.” 13 He said, “Good! I will make a covenant with you, but I demand one thing of you, namely, you shall not see my face unless you first bring Michal, Saul’s daughter, when you come to see me.” 14 So David sent messengers to Ish-bosheth, Saul’s son, saying, “Give me my wife Michal, to whom I was betrothed for a hundred foreskins of the Philistines.” 15 Ish-bosheth sent and took her from her husband, from Paltiel the son of Laish. 16 But her husband went with her, weeping as he went, and followed her as far as Bahurim. Then Abner said to him, “Go, return.” So he returned.

II Samuel 6:12 Now it was told King David, saying, “The Lord has blessed the house of Obed-edom and all that belongs to him, on account of the ark of God.” David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom into the city of David with gladness. 13 And so it was, that when the bearers of the ark of the Lord had gone six paces, he sacrificed an ox and a fatling. 14 And David was dancing before the Lord with all his might, and David was wearing a linen ephod. 15 So David and all the house of Israel were bringing up the ark of the Lord with shouting and the sound of the trumpet.

16 Then it happened as the ark of the Lord came into the city of David that Michal the daughter of Saul looked out of the window and saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord; and she despised him in her heart.

17 So they brought in the ark of the Lord and set it in its place inside the tent which David had pitched for it; and David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the Lord. 18 When David had finished offering the burnt offering and the peace offering, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord of hosts. 19 Further, he distributed to all the people, to all the multitude of Israel, both to men and women, a cake of bread and one of dates and one of raisins to each one. Then all the people departed each to his house.

20 But when David returned to bless his household, Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David and said, “How the king of Israel distinguished himself today! He uncovered himself today in the eyes of his servants’ maids as one of the foolish ones shamelessly uncovers himself!” 21 So David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me above your father and above all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the Lord, over Israel; therefore I will celebrate before the Lord. 22 I will be more lightly esteemed than this and will be humble in my own eyes, but with the maids of whom you have spoken, with them I will be distinguished.” 23 Michal the daughter of Saul had no child to the day of her death.

Queen #2 - Abigail

I Samuel 25:1 Then Samuel died; and all Israel gathered together and mourned for him, and buried him at his house in Ramah. And David arose and went down to the wilderness of Paran.

2 Now there was a man in Maon whose business was in Carmel; and the man was very rich, and he had three thousand sheep and a thousand goats. And it came about while he was shearing his sheep in Carmel 3 (now the man’s name was Nabal, and his wife’s name was Abigail. And the woman was intelligent and beautiful in appearance, but the man was harsh and evil in his dealings, and he was a Calebite), 4 that David heard in the wilderness that Nabal was shearing his sheep. 5 So David sent ten young men; and David said to the young men, “Go up to Carmel, visit Nabal and greet him in my name; 6 and thus you shall say, 'Have a long life, peace be to you, and peace be to your house, and peace be to all that you have. 7 Now I have heard that you have shearers; now your shepherds have been with us and we have not insulted them, nor have they missed anything all the days they were in Carmel. 8 Ask your young men and they will tell you. Therefore let my young men find favor in your eyes, for we have come on a festive day. Please give whatever you find at hand to your servants and to your son David.’”

9 When David’s young men came, they spoke to Nabal according to all these words in David’s name; then they waited. 10 But Nabal answered David’s servants and said, “Who is David? And who is the son of Jesse? There are many servants today who are each breaking away from his master. 11 Shall I then take my bread and my water and my meat that I have slaughtered for my shearers, and give it to men whose origin I do not know?” 12 So David’s young men retraced their way and went back; and they came and told him according to all these words. 13 David said to his men, “Each of you gird on his sword.” So each man girded on his sword. And David also girded on his sword, and about four hundred men went up behind David while two hundred stayed with the baggage.

14 But one of the young men told Abigail, Nabal’s wife, saying, “Behold, David sent messengers from the wilderness to greet our master, and he scorned them. 15 Yet the men were very good to us, and we were not insulted, nor did we miss anything as long as we went about with them, while we were in the fields. 16 They were a wall to us both by night and by day, all the time we were with them tending the sheep. 17 Now therefore, know and consider what you should do, for evil is plotted against our master and against all his household; and he is such a worthless man that no one can speak to him.”

18 Then Abigail hurried and took two hundred loaves of bread and two jugs of wine and five sheep already prepared and five measures of roasted grain and a hundred clusters of raisins and two hundred cakes of figs, and loaded them on donkeys. 19 She said to her young men, “Go on before me; behold, I am coming after you.” But she did not tell her husband Nabal. 20 It came about as she was riding on her donkey and coming down by the hidden part of the mountain, that behold, David and his men were coming down toward her; so she met them. 21 Now David had said, “Surely in vain I have guarded all that this man has in the wilderness, so that nothing was missed of all that belonged to him; and he has returned me evil for good. 22 May God do so to the enemies of David, and more also, if by morning I leave as much as one male of any who belong to him.”

23 When Abigail saw David, she hurried and dismounted from her donkey, and fell on her face before David and bowed herself to the ground. 24 She fell at his feet and said, “On me alone, my lord, be the blame. And please let your maidservant speak to you, and listen to the words of your maidservant. 25 Please do not let my lord pay attention to this worthless man, Nabal, for as his name is, so is he. Nabal is his name and folly is with him; but I your maidservant did not see the young men of my lord whom you sent.

26 “Now therefore, my lord, as the Lord lives, and as your soul lives, since the Lord has restrained you from shedding blood, and from avenging yourself by your own hand, now then let your enemies and those who seek evil against my lord, be as Nabal. 27 Now let this gift which your maidservant has brought to my lord be given to the young men who accompany my lord. 28 Please forgive the transgression of your maidservant; for the Lord will certainly make for my lord an enduring house, because my lord is fighting the battles of the Lord, and evil will not be found in you all your days. 29 Should anyone rise up to pursue you and to seek your life, then the life of my lord shall be bound in the bundle of the living with the Lord your God; but the lives of your enemies He will sling out as from the hollow of a sling. 30 And when the Lord does for my lord according to all the good that He has spoken concerning you, and appoints you ruler over Israel, 31 this will not cause grief or a troubled heart to my lord, both by having shed blood without cause and by my lord having avenged himself. When the Lord deals well with my lord, then remember your maidservant.”

32 Then David said to Abigail, “Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, who sent you this day to meet me, 33 and blessed be your discernment, and blessed be you, who have kept me this day from bloodshed and from avenging myself by my own hand. 34 Nevertheless, as the Lord God of Israel lives, who has restrained me from harming you, unless you had come quickly to meet me, surely there would not have been left to Nabal until the morning light as much as one male.” 35 So David received from her hand what she had brought him and said to her, “Go up to your house in peace. See, I have listened to you and granted your request.”

36 Then Abigail came to Nabal, and behold, he was holding a feast in his house, like the feast of a king. And Nabal’s heart was merry within him, for he was very drunk; so she did not tell him anything at all until the morning light. 37 But in the morning, when the wine had gone out of Nabal, his wife told him these things, and his heart died within him so that he became as a stone. 38 About ten days later, the Lord struck Nabal and he died.

39 When David heard that Nabal was dead, he said, “Blessed be the Lord, who has pleaded the cause of my reproach from the hand of Nabal and has kept back His servant from evil. The Lord has also returned the evildoing of Nabal on his own head.” Then David sent a proposal to Abigail, to take her as his wife. 40 When the servants of David came to Abigail at Carmel, they spoke to her, saying, “David has sent us to you to take you as his wife.” 41 She arose and bowed with her face to the ground and said, “Behold, your maidservant is a maid to wash the feet of my lord’s servants.” 42 Then Abigail quickly arose, and rode on a donkey, with her five maidens who attended her; and she followed the messengers of David and became his wife.

And some more queens -

I Chronicles 3:1 Now these were the sons of David who were born to him in Hebron: the firstborn was Amnon, by Ahinoam the Jezreelitess; the second was Daniel, by Abigail the Carmelitess; 2 the third was Absalom the son of Maacah, the daughter of Talmai king of Geshur; the fourth was Adonijah the son of Haggith; 3 the fifth was Shephatiah, by Abital; the sixth was Ithream, by his wife Eglah. 4 Six were born to him in Hebron, and there he reigned seven years and six months. And in Jerusalem he reigned thirty-three years. 5 These were born to him in Jerusalem: Shimea, Shobab, Nathan and Solomon, four, by Bath-shua the daughter of Ammiel; 6 and Ibhar, Elishama, Eliphelet, 7 Nogah, Nepheg and Japhia, 8 Elishama, Eliada and Eliphelet, nine. 9 All these were the sons of David, besides the sons of the concubines; and Tamar was their sister.

Then there were ten more -

II Samuel 20:3 Then David came to his house at Jerusalem, and the king took the ten women, the concubines whom he had left to keep the house, and placed them under guard and provided them with sustenance, but did not go in to them. So they were shut up until the day of their death, living as widows.

And, finally, there was Bathsheba, the wife of Uriah, who David had killed in order to cover his adultery with Bathsheba. Poor Bathsheba didn't even make it into the official list of queens cited in I Chronicles 3 above.
None of them are called queens in the Bible, so congratulations on scoring an own goal. Bathsheba gets to sit at the right hand of her son, King Solomon, because she is the mother of the king. The kings had many wives but only one mother. From Solomon on it was the king's mother who was queen.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God or Jesus Christ does not have a queen. If there was a queen then God would have trouble creating and managing the universe because he would now and then disagree with the queen.:amen:
That's only a problem if the queen is a sinner.;)

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus' Father and mother gave Him as a sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins.
Jesus was about to begin His public ministry at twelve years of age. That's when a boy was expected to take on the responsibilities of a man. His mother didn't allow His ministry to begin at that time.
For eighteen more years Jesus remained under His mother's authority until she asked a miracle of Him at Cana. He seemed to disagree with her timing telling her it wasn't His hour. This shows us that it was understood by both of them that what she was asking Him to do would begin the sequence of events that would end in His death. Why? Because His ministry would become public.
Jesus demonstrated His obedience to His mother even unto death.
Perhaps He recoiled knowing His hour would begin. He would experience that natural response to death again in Gethsemane but more intensely.
She gave Him to us as a sacrifice in union with His Father in heaven. Who but the Queen of Heaven can inaugurate a kingdom of heaven on earth? Did Jesus put any other person's will above her?
Knowing her will is united to His Father's He performed the miracle that made His ministry public.
Long after he became an adult it was her who decided when His hour would begin. When the Kingdom of God on earth would begin. Her decision was an extension of her response to the angel Gabriel to become united to God in the most naturally intimate bond possible.

Jesus treated His mother as Queen of His Kingdom. The incarnation and the virgin birth can only be revealed by heaven. Who Jesus is and who Mary is can only be revealed by heaven. Only Jesus and His Blessed Mother are united in this way.

Faith is from God in heaven. Faith comes to us through hearing. That miracle began when the sound of the Virgin Mary's voice reached Elizabeth's ear and John the Baptist leapt in his mother's womb.
Jesus said no one comes to Him unless called by His Father. That personal dynamic began with His mother as well. Joseph would not take her to be his wife if heaven had not revealed who she was. No other person is united to Jesus and His ministry that way.

This may upset some folks here but the world receives salvation through Mary. True then true now.

In every way Jesus treats His mother as Queen of His Kingdom.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Valletta
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,441.00
Faith
Non-Denom
As I said, The Davidic line of of queens started with Solomon's mother. The queen is the MOTHER of the king, not the wife. The king did not bow down to any wives, the Word of God shows us how important the queen is, these words of God are a gift to you and me.

Actually the earliest recorded mother in David's geneaology is Eve (see Matthew and Luke for the genealogy). Ruth is also highly significant. Nothing at all is recorded concerning David's mother. We do know a fair amount about his father, Jesse. We do not know how many wives he had nor whether he had any concubines.

Did Solomon bow down to Bathsheba?

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please note that I did not state that the Catholic Church embraced St. Augustine's monergism. In fact, there was no Catholic church in his day, nor even Eastern Orthodox churches, for that matter. Those denominations developed much later.
The Catholic Church isn't contingent on a name to exist. Also, the original name given to the Church is not a denomination. That word describes communities of believers who adopted names that were other-named or de-named. Only those communities are de-nominations. Catholic is the name the protesters refused to be called therefore only communities that broke away from Catholicism are de-nominations.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually the earliest recorded mother in David's geneaology is Eve (see Matthew and Luke for the genealogy). Ruth is also highly significant. Nothing at all is recorded concerning David's mother. We do know a fair amount about his father, Jesse. We do not know how many wives he had nor whether he had any concubines.

Did Solomon bow down to Bathsheba?
David's mother didn't give birth to an heir to the throne. Bethsheba did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Which wife did Solomon bow down to, in light of the fact that any of them could have given birth to the heir to his throne?
Solomon bowed down before all of them. He listened to their voices and accepted their false gods as his own. That caused Adam to sin as well. Eve became the prophetess of the first false god. Solomon did the same with his multiple wives.

To answer your question, the heir must be crowned as king before his mother is recognized as queen.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,441.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Solomon bowed down before all of them. He listened to their voices and accepted their false gods as his own. That caused Adam to sin as well. Eve became the prophetess of the first false god. Solomon did the same with his multiple wives.

To answer your question, the heir must be crowned as king before his mother is recognized as queen.

Does that not pose a conundrum in cases such as Rehoboam and Jeroboam, both of whom became kings?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, were there only two legitimate queens married to Solomon, or were there are any queens at all since none of the wives of the kings in the Old Testament are referred to as being queens?
They each would have been queen in the kingdom of each of their sons, in the breadth and duration of each kingship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,441.00
Faith
Non-Denom
They each would have been queen in the kingdom of each of their sons, in the breadth and duration of each kingship.

Perhaps I am missing something here. It has been my understanding that Bathsheba's role was not so much as Queen of Israel (which she could hardly claim nor does scripture speak of any Queen of Israel, or of Judah, for that matter) but as the mother of Solomon and, as his mother she is comparable to the mother of God. Thus, Bathsheba's role is relative to Solomon, not David.

If that is correct, then the mother of Rehoboam ought to have had the same scenario played out for her in relation both to Rehoboam as well as Solomon and the mother of Jeroboam likewise. However, we do not have the slightest indication of any such thing happening. Why is that?

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps I am missing something here. It has been my understanding that Bathsheba's role was not so much as Queen of Israel (which she could hardly claim nor does scripture speak of any Queen of Israel, or of Judah, for that matter) but as the mother of Solomon and, as his mother she is comparable to the mother of God. Thus, Bathsheba's role is relative to Solomon, not David.

If that is correct, then the mother of Rehoboam ought to have had the same scenario played out for her in relation both to Rehoboam as well as Solomon and the mother of Jeroboam likewise. However, we do not have the slightest indication of any such thing happening. Why is that?
You have quite an imagination. All of the Word of God is beneficial, the Bible shows us the importance of the queen mother in the Davidic kingdom. The old prefigures or foreshadows the new, Melchizedek prefigures Jesus, our one High Priest. Your "comparable" does not mean they are on the same level. Likewise, when Jesus used words paralleling Isaiah 22 in giving our first pope the keys to the kingdom, the prime minister's role was not as important as Peter's role. The same for the office of queen. The pope and Mary today serve a divine King. Mary's assumption was foreshadowed by Enoch and Elijah.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,441.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You have quite an imagination. All of the Word of God is beneficial, the Bible shows us the importance of the queen mother in the Davidic kingdom. The old prefigures or foreshadows the new, Melchizedek prefigures Jesus, our one High Priest. Your "comparable" does not mean they are on the same level. Likewise, when Jesus used words paralleling Isaiah 22 in giving our first pope the keys to the kingdom, the prime minister's role was not as important as Peter's role. The same for the office of queen. The pope and Mary today serve a divine King. Mary's assumption was foreshadowed by Enoch and Elijah.

Let's stay focused on what the Bible actually says, please. Please tell me where I can find any reference to a wife or concubine of a king of Israel or of Judah being called "Queen". Thank you.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Let's stay focused on what the Bible actually says, please. Please tell me where I can find any reference to a wife or concubine of a king of Israel or of Judah being called "Queen". Thank you.
Why would we expect to find that when it is the mother of the king who is queen, not the wife or concubine of the king.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.