Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Esther had to deal with Haman, Mordecai was her uncle.
So Haman would be a type of the serpent. It is kind of a play on words: When God asked: "Have you eaten FROM the tree". The word FROM spells out Haman. This always struck me as a funny question if God knows everything then I would think the question should have been: Why did you eat from the tree? God's ways are not our ways.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul also warned about paying heed to Jewish myths.
If we get into the Kabbalah and Hasidic teaching there is a LOT of it. They like to try to explain all of the symbols. For me it is enough just to learn the Hebrew language and what the Hebrew letters represent. The story still talks about how the King wanted to put the beauty of the Queen on display and how she refused to do that. Why would she refuse? Isn't that her job as the Queen to parade herself like that? Sort of like Trump's wife. She is a model and that is what she does, she gets out and models.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
If we get into the Kabbalah and Hasidic teaching there is a LOT of it. They like to try to explain all of the symbols. For me it is enough just to learn the Hebrew language and what the Hebrew letters represent. The story still talks about how the King wanted to put the beauty of the Queen on display and how she refused to do that. Why would she refuse? Isn't that her job as the Queen to parade herself like that? Sort of like Trump's wife. She is a model and that is what she does, she gets out and models.

It was of God what occurred, Vashti's refusal. God thereby opened the door for Esther to enter.
Vashti was having her own separate party for the women of the royal palace, which makes me think if there were any women at the king's party they were for the pleasure , debauchery of the men..

9 Queen Vashti also made a feast for the women in the royal palace which belonged to King Ahasuerus.

Of course that is speculative, we dont know if there were any women at the king's party, but seems odd there would not be anything going on. Vashti may have despised the king's party, knowing what was going on at such a feast, so she has her own party, for whatever reasons she had. That the king wanted Vashti to be shown off, maybe means women were not excluded from the king's party. But the noble ladies all went to her party and not the kings feast-party.

Also makes sense then the decree against Vashti, since all the noble ladies would be inspired by her, and they were all of them with Vashti, they had to stop those women from going against the wills of their husbands.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They were hanged for conspiring against the king. It wasn’t an uncommon practice in royal households. Conspiracies were often underfoot.
I'm pretty sure hanging in Persian culture actually met being impaled on a pole. Kind of makes a rope around the neck sound appealing.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
11 to bring Queen Vashti before him, wearing her royal crown, to display her beauty to the people and officials. For she was beautiful to behold.

When we read this story of Queen Vashti, there are some interesting and unusual things that we read. For example there were seven eunuchs in this story and the names of all 7 of them were listed. Why are we given that information?

The main point of the story is that Queen Vashti refused to appear. The King then had her killed. I guess they did not have divorce back then. That was when he hooked up with the women that was to become Queen Esther, who went on to save her people.

The conservative "Jewish" people believe the story of Esther is an archetype of the story of Eve. Only Esther made all the right choices. Also they believe that the King asked Vashti to present herself before all of these drunk people naked.

Naked is a big part of the story of Adam and Eve. I really do not see anything in the story of Queen Vashti where the king wanted her to show up naked to display her before his guests. Does anyone see any indication of that in her story in the Bible?

Before anything else. Who made that part of the story up? Find out who.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before anything else. Who made that part of the story up? Find out who.
This was added by the midrash based on hermeneutical rules. (BT Megillah 12b)

Purim is a Jewish holiday that commemorates the saving of the Jewish people as we read about in the book of Esther. They draw comparisons between the Story of Esther and the Story of Eve. This has to do with Genesis 3:7 "Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked."

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This was added by the midrash based on hermeneutical rules. (BT Megillah 12b)

Purim is a Jewish holiday that commemorates the saving of the Jewish people as we read about in the book of Esther. They draw comparisons between the Story of Esther and the Story of Eve. This has to do with Genesis 3:7 "Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked."
It still makes no sense. I grew up celebrating Purim. Never heard such an idea before. It may be that at that time in history when Esther was alive it was seen as cultural norm in such situations. Look at when David beckoned Bathsheba to his bedroom. Those told to fetch her did not blink after given the order. She was married at the time.

Serious problems in understanding history can arise when we impose our cultural mores upon another culture from another time.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Serious problems in understanding history can arise when we impose our cultural mores upon another culture from another time.
It does look like that is what is happening. Some rabbi came up with a personal interpretation that never should have been approved. Because I just do not see any thing that would indicate this understanding of what we are given to work with.

Reactions: GenemZ
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It does look like that is what is happening. Some rabbi came up with a personal interpretation that never should have been approved. Because I just do not see any thing that would indicate this understanding of what we are given to work with.

I would just let it rest. If you are being led of the Spirit the answer might come years from now. Its one of those non essential issues.

But, we can learn about a principle concerning that subject. That to understand the Bible we must learn to drop our cultural thinking and norms when exploring and understanding how people lived at different times.

For if we searched back far enough, to own slaves was just as normal as owning a automobile today. No one thought anything of it. Yet some want to condemn because they see according to today's standards only. In many ways, the differences of how the world was back then? To be a slave could have been seen as beneficial. Especially, if one had a benevolent master. Abraham had slaves. They loved him. Other masters were vulgar and brutal. That is why God had laws for slavery. Those who were godly and were masters their slaves called 'blessed.' For they know how ungodly masters treated their slaves in a world when being a slave was a means to survive... and even prosper by the slave's association with a godly master.

grace and peace...

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0