Quebec offers blankets, beds and hydro crews to Texas in wake of Hurricane Harvey

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Quebec offers blankets, beds and hydro crews to Texas in wake of Hurricane Harvey
Above all, St-Pierre said she called to voice Quebec's concern for Texans caught up in the disaster.

"It was a conversation about how devastating the situation is and we want to express our support to the people of Texas," she told CBC News.
Pablos declined the aid for now, instead asking for "prayers from the people of Quebec," the minister said. "He was very touched by the fact we called him."
tulc(is at a loss on why the aid as well as the prayers couldn't be accepted?) :scratch:

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Send prayers and money. Money can be easily stored until needed. Prayers are good anytime.
Indeed. The money will stay in the coffers until needed and also can be used to hire local trucking companies and buy supplies closest the hardest hit areas.

That is how Samaritan's Purse relief is doing it. They hired a bunch of trucks in Dallas, loaded them up with supplies and then hauled it down to Houston, Galveston and Corpus Christi.

• Informative
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FYI, fuel is becoming an issue. Most of the distributors in Texas were on the Gulf Coast and north of Houston. I live in Central Texas and we have a gas and diesel shortage. Local gas station was resupplied last night and owner expects to be dry by Saturday morning.

Gas went up 30 cents a gallon as well. That's not gouging as I understand it, but the supply and demand of having the refineries closed right now.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The fact that Trump's State Department is still "in transition," probably permanently, with key posts remaining unstaffed and with most European countries still without a US ambassador, makes it difficult for other wealthy nations to offer help as there is no one they can talk to and coordinate these things with.

I recall that in the aftermath of Katrina a Canadian naval vessel arrived loaded with lumber to assist in rebuilding. US customs refused to allow it ashore.

After the Deepwater Horizon disaster, some dozen countries like Norway with superior oil spill tech & know-how than what the US had, offered help, but the United States had to say 'no', apparently because of the Jones Act of 1920. During the Katrina disaster, the US Department of Homeland Security temporarily waived the law to allow international shipments of vital oil & gas.

Send prayers and money. Money can be easily stored until needed. Prayers are good anytime.

Maybe use the international donations "left over" from Katrina donations?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe use the international donations "left over" from Katrina donations?

Does "left over" mean aid that was collected but not used, or never collected from those countries?

International response to Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia

Actual funds used
"An article in the April 29, 2007 Washington Post claimed that of the $854 million offered by foreign countries, whom the article dubs "allies," to the US Government, only $40 million of the funds had been spent "for disaster victims or reconstruction" as of the date of publication (less than 5%).

Additionally, a large portion of the $854 million in aid offered went uncollected, including over $400 million in oil (almost 50%)."

Is there an update for all this?

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does "left over" mean aid that was collected but not used, or never collected from those countries?

International response to Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia

Actual funds used
"An article in the April 29, 2007 Washington Post claimed that of the $854 million offered by foreign countries, whom the article dubs "allies," to the US Government, only $40 million of the funds had been spent "for disaster victims or reconstruction" as of the date of publication (less than 5%).

Additionally, a large portion of the $854 million in aid offered went uncollected, including over $400 million in oil (almost 50%)."

Is there an update for all this?

By "left over" I meant money collected but not spent, not the money USG failed to collect.
$126 million received, of which "only about half had been put to use" ~ $60 million, should leave another $60 million somewhere.

For updates, you should probably check the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform as its the main watchdog on government spending, fraud and waste.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
By "left over" I meant money collected but not spent, not the money USG failed to collect.
$126 million received, of which "only about half had been put to use" ~ $60 million, should leave another $60 million somewhere.

For updates, you should probably check the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform as its the main watchdog on government spending, fraud and waste.

I have to trust that the money, and much more, will eventually be spent, although on what is uncertain.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have to trust that the money, and much more, will eventually be spent, although on what is uncertain.

To ensure this happen, why not write to your representatives to give them a nudge. Spending those millions to help the survivors would spare the US tax payers and make the international donors happy.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To ensure this happen, why not write to your representatives to give them a nudge. Spending those millions to help the survivors would spare the US tax payers and make the international donors happy.

I can think of better things to waste my time on.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Scientists had warned Houston that it was ill prepared for a hurricane with large scale flooding. A city official commented at the time "These scientists are pushing their agenda of protecting the environment at the expense of common sense."

I nominate this statement for an award under the category of "gosh I wish I hadn't said that".

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For those who live outside the US perhaps the best course would be to donate to the American Red Cross or Salvation Army. Both large organizations with large resources locally and nationally.

There are also some very good Christian relief ministries like Mercy Chefs (set up mobile kitchens) and Samaritans Purse. What's interesting about Samaritans Purse is they have so many relief missions overseas in disaster and war torn areas they had to mobilize teams here in the States for Harvey relief.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scientists had warned Houston that it was ill prepared for a hurricane with large scale flooding. A city official commented at the time "These scientists are pushing their agenda of protecting the environment at the expense of common sense."

I nominate this statement for an award under the category of "gosh I wish I hadn't said that".
The mayor of Houston did great work after hurricane Rita to improve flood abatement programs with the US Army Corps of Engineers.

When you have 5 inches of rain falling an hour there are no viable solutions to stop flooding.

If Houston wants to avoid a future Harvey type storm, I gather they can relocate the entire city.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Probably should be returned. When money comes in for a specific purpose it has to spent on the specific purpose.

It's not like the US can use funds for flood victims from NATO countries to fund NATO shortfalls. That would be illegal.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married

What do scientists know about subject they dedicate life to learning about? Uninformed opinion much more sensible than lifetime of learning.

Trump names climate science denier to run NASA – ThinkProgress
Trump's climate change denial will be tested by Houston's devastation

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

This very expensive GLOBAL WARMING ******** has got to stop. Our planet is freezing, record low temps,and our GW scientists are stuck in ice

5:39 PM - Jan 1, 2014

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

Any and all weather events are used by the GLOBAL WARMING HOAXSTERS to justify higher taxes to save our planet! They don't believe it $$$$!
2:40 PM - Jan 26, 2014

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because sending unnecessary aid can be worse than sending none. Cash is the best way to help, as they can buy the stuff that they need but people are not giving.
Yes well meaning people are donating items which are already in abundance. And that's locally here at the evacuation centers. Money is best so relief agencies can purchase locally the greatest demand.

Upvote 0