• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Quasi-ethnocentrism -- Topic of focus for my writing career?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by blackhole, Dec 1, 2019.

1. blackhole

blackhole Active Member

+117
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I have a topic in mind upon which I’d like to focus my writing career. But before I go that route, I want to discern whether I’d have enough material.

I want to write about errors in belief that are popular among Western or at least U.S. Christians, but especially those which are born out of the culture. For example, in to not-too-distant past, many Christians would have said that it’s sinful to expose your ankle flesh.

I realize that asking this question here will be largely fruitless, because you’re in this culture; it’s unlikely that you see the kinds of defects I have in mind. You’re more likely to vehemently defend them as true… You’re my future audience.

Because I only know English, I can’t ask elsewhere. Hopefully some foreign, highly educated, or critical members will respond to this thread.

Are there a lot of false beliefs--such as the example that I gave--that I can address? Or might I quickly run out of material? I’m also happy to write to pastors, even if there's no apparent link to the culture. For example, it’s very common for pastors to say that we shouldn’t seek a wife. They use the Genesis account and God’s bringing Eve to Adam as evidence for that. But that part is historical narrative, and not to be taken as how we should live. And I can easily argue for the inverse: In 1Co 7, Paul tells us that in light of this present distress, it’s good not to seek a wife. Thus it follows that the normal mode is to seek a wife.

I would likely focus heavily on the Bible itself, sociology, psychology, and philosophy, to help spot these faults.

I have the personality for this pursuit. I’m very disagreeable, critical, and great at breaking things.

What are your thoughts? Are there plenty of errors of this type that I could write about?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,775
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Phew. I suggest that you just follow some of the discussions for a while. There are plenty of different interpretations. Sifting through and deciding what is truth and what is error is not for everyone, but there is a great deal of material.

3. blackhole

blackhole Active Member

+117
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Yes, but those are base-level doctrinal errors that are easily handled with the Bible -- and often caused by the Bible. By that I mean: people have some text that is ignorantly abused to defend a view.

But what I have in mind rather is errors that are born of culture.

Or do you have that in mind too?

4. Aussie Pete

+6,775
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    I see your point. One source of different interpretations is generational. Is that within your scope? For example, my generation rejected tattoos as being evil. Some less kind souls call them "tramp stamps" when a woman gets a tattoo. Me, I dislike them but I don't think it's a spiritual issue. There are Jewish people on the forum who interpret the Bible in certain ways that I don't accept.

5. blackhole

blackhole Active Member

+117
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Yes. Would you say there's plenty of such issues I could address?

6. 1213

1213 Disciple of Jesus

+1,093
    Christian
    Single
    I think Christians have misunderstandings and they have done wrong things. But I think braking things is not necessary the right mindset, because:

Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up.
    1 Cor. 8:1

Knowledge is good and it is good to tell, if people have something wrong, but if you want to cause positive change, I think you need love in your pursuit. :)

7. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+10,928
    Anabaptist
    There is a lifetime of material, but the audience approving of God's Word is small.

8. Aussie Pete

+6,775
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Not so many. It is also a little difficult because not everyone gives their age. A typical discussion revolved around the way that women dress these days. What was unacceptable to my generation produced a "no big deal" response from others. I was amazed at the insensitivity of some women. The Bible says women should dress modestly. "Modest" is obviously different things to different people. I've seen women in string bikinis in church. How is that a good thing? Yet others think it OK.