Mr.Pious

Senior Veteran
Dec 23, 2003
✟17,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
If by livable you exclude the horrific taxes of the first six!!

Well if your goverment supplies all things you need anyway, what does it matter if you do not have a huge sum of money left over? Fill good about it, you are helping lots of people by paying taxes.

I thank George W. Bush for that!

Thank him for helping to ruin the poor with his corperate presidency?

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
We have medicade and medicare, which provide the poor and elderly with healthcare.

Americans are expected to get insurance, either by themselves or through work. No hospital will refuse to treat you though.

We tried to get a national health care system like Canada and other social-states like in Europe under Clinton, but Hillary was in charge and it sorta fell apart...

Americans and our politicians are still skeptical of any sort of nationalized plan though, given the huge cost and the problems it creates.

I'm against it, insurance might be expensive, but at least you get treated.

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
armed2010 said:
Hmm, Japan got 9? Everything that ive heard is that life is great down there, even better than the US in some cases. Lots of food, lots of good priced technologies, great atmosphere, good people, etc.
Ah.. butsuperclosetogetherlivingandculture.

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
billwald said:
America is #7 because an insufficient number of do-gooders have left here and emigrated to numbers 1 thru 6.
What's up with all of us Americans thinking we should be number 1 for everything?? ;) Number 7 is not a bad place to be.

Upvote 0

DaveSZ

Jan 17, 2004
✟1,173.00
Faith
Deist
jgarden said:
Why does the richest, most powerful nation in the history world only rank 7th in terms of quality of life? Is it time to re-examine our priorities as Christians and citizens?

Our healthcare system in this country is in serious need of reforms.

It might make sense to simply expand the medicare and medicaid programs, but there should always be freedom of choice.

I can personally tell you that many doctors I've talked to are very frustrated with the HMOs because of their tactics that deny some people care and medicines.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
SDSUMarcus01 said:
Those "horrific" taxes end up funding public services which in our country do not exist, and thus we have to pay for anyway.
If we have to pay for it one way or another, why don't we wait untill we get sick first? I mean what happens if we don't get sick, or get squashed like a bug?

And I don't know about you, but I don't plan on getting sick. Even if I did, I would just call on the All Mighty for some healings.

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
armed2010 said:
Hmm, Japan got 9? Everything that ive heard is that life is great down there, even better than the US in some cases. Lots of food, lots of good priced technologies, great atmosphere, good people, etc.
My Japanese teacher bought tons of electronics here in the states to send back to Japan. He said they were cheaper here and that that cost of living is much higher in Japan than in the US.

They also have to import lots of things (wood for example) and most of their cheap labor comes from Korea - Korean Japanese are treated with a degree of prejudice not too much unlike african americans in the US.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
I find it interesting that both Germany and Japan were virtually destroyed during WW2 and yet they are challenging America for their quality of life. Other than Pearl Harbor, the US was never attacked and never received the damage or occupation by a foreign power.

Would America be content with a 7th rate military but ranking first in terms of quality of life?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

Jeremiah the Bullfrog

jgarden said:
I find it interesting that both Germany and Japan were virtually destroyed during WW2 and yet they are challenging America for their quality of life. Other than Pearl Harbor, the US was never attacked and never received the damage or occupation by a foreign power.

Would America be content with a 7th rate military but ranking first in terms of quality of life?
During World War 2, the lower 48 states were firebombed by the Japanese. ;)
In 1860's, several states we destroyed by a hostile power.
In the War of 1812, the U.S. capital was burned.

Is the HDI enough to measure a country's level of development?
Not at all. The concept of human development is much broader than what can be captured in the HDI, or any other of the composite indices in this Report (see gender-related development index, gender empowerment measure, and human poverty index). The HDI, for example, does not reflect political participation or gender inequalities. HDI and the other composite indices can only offer a broad proxy on the issues of human development, gender disparity, and human poverty. A fuller picture of a country's level of human development requires analysis of other human development indicators and information

Is the HDI comparable across editions of the HDR?
Due to revisions to the data series for some or all of the components of the HDI, changes in the HDI methodology, or variations in the country coverage, the HDI values and ranks presented in the 1990 through 2003 editions of the Report are often not comparable. The year-to-year changes in the index often reflect data improvement, instead of real increase or decrease in the level of human development. The Human Development Report Offices strongly advises against constructing HDI trend analysis based on the HDI published in different editions of the Report. For the most up-to-date HDI trend data based on consistent methodology and data, please refer to Table 2 (Human Development Index Trends) in HDR 2003.

Those are from the FAQ's about this thing.

Are data comparable in different editions of the HDR?
As a result of periodical revisions to data by international agencies, statistics presented in different editions of the Report are often not comparable. For this reason the Human Development Report Office strongly advises against constructing trend analysis based on data from different editions of the Report.

Why does some national data differ from data in the HDR or else show that data is missing when data is available from national sources?
When compiling international data series, international data agencies often need to apply internationally adopted standards and harmonization procedures to improve comparability across countries. Where the international data are based on national statistics, as they usually are, the national data may need to be adjusted. Where data for a country are missing, an international agency may produce an estimate if other relevant information can be used. And because of the difficulties in coordination between national and international data agencies, international data series may not incorporate the most recent national data. All these factors can lead to significant discrepancies between national and international estimates.

They may need to "adjust" national data. Hmm...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
If the HDI doesn't have confidence in its own methodology, why does it publish this list on an annual basis in the first place? One could also argue that they are incapable of distinguishing the quality of life between nation 1 to nation 100.

The list does give an approximate standing for the world. One would expect that America, as the only world's "superpower", to be "head and shoulders" above the rest "in a walk!" That the statistics don't make us superior in this category begs to question whether quality of life is even on our "radar screen."

Strangely enough, nobody questions that the US has the number 1 military. But the military is only a "means" to an "end." Excluding religion, shouldn't a number 1 "quality of life" be the logical "end."

Upvote 0

Glacial

Khazad-dum
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
✟722.00
Faith
Atheist
Zoot said:
If New Zealand gets 20th, then 7th seriously can't be bad at all.

Would this be a good time to gloat and make sarcastic comments about sheep?

Well, we got 4th - not too shabby when you think about it. To any Americans feeling down in the dumps, 7th is actually very good - nothing to be ashamed of. :p

Upvote 0

feral

Dostoyevsky was right
Jan 8, 2003
✟12,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Not to mention it's ranked by the UN! An America hater if there ever was one!
Oh no! They are all out to get us! Everyone hates us! *lol* :pink: Golly, as the biggest single contributer to the United Nations, not to mention one of the 5 on the security council we still feel left out and unwanted? Is it prejudice, or just American frustration at something we can't force?

Anyway, I would agree with the findings. We do lack national health care and most people don't have access to medicines and treatments that they desperately need. In addition, hospitalization and treatment for mental illness is rarely provided and if it is, there is short term care only. It doesn't matter how sick someone is, the good 'ol USA values cash over lives.

I would be interested in learning the other reasons for the #7 ranking as well, if anyone has the information.

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The US, the world leading country in manafacturing, economy, health, and/or education seventh in the world?? This comes as a shock to the Americans. Why would someone and/or anybody want to live in Norway for?? :sigh: :scratch:

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
JPPT1974 said:
The US, the world leading country in manafacturing, economy, health, and/or education seventh in the world?? This comes as a shock to the Americans. Why would someone and/or anybody want to live in Norway for?? :sigh: :scratch:
The US is not the leading country in economy (several trillion dollar deficit), health (the world's most obese nation on top of the fact that a good percentage of the population has little or no health care), or education (definitely not the top of the list here). I could google it and find some verification, but these things I can tell you just using some simple logic.

Manufacturing, I don't know about, but I'd doubt that one, too.

And, I think the Norwegian posters might take offense to that last sentence. I know I would. Talk about ethno-centric.

Unless your post was meant as a joke? In which case I apologize.

Love, Heather

Upvote 0