Quality of Life - America Ranks only 7th in the World

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Most and Least Livable Countries: UN Human Development Index, 2003

The Human Development Index (HDI), published annually by the UN, ranks nations according to their citizens' quality of life rather than strictly by a nation's traditional economic figures. The criteria for calculating rankings include life expectancy, educational attainment, and adjusted real income.

“Most Livable” Countries, 2003

1. Norway 2. Iceland 3. Sweden 4. Australia

5. Germany 6. Belgium 7. United States 8. Canada

9. Japan 10. Switzerland 11. Denmark 12. Ireland

13. United Kingdom

Source: Human Development Report, 2003, United Nations. Web: www.undp.org/hdr2003 .

1. Why does the richest, most powerful nation in the history of the world rank only 7th in terms of quality of life?

2. What do the first 6 nations know that we don't? (ie. public health care)

Why does the richest, most powerful nation in the history world only rank 7th in terms of quality of life? Is it time to re-examine our priorities as Christians and citizens?

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
#7 is actually better than I would have thought. I haven't seen the survey, but I suspect a major reason for our position is our health care system (or lack thereof.) I think all of the countries above us (not sure about Australia) provide some kind of national health care for their residents. But, I also believe they have higher tax rates. And I'm sure these 6 countries don't spend as high a percentage of their GNPs on the military.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

warriorprincessdaughter

Apr 14, 2004
Sydney
✟8,019.00
Faith
Pentecostal
In case anyone was wondering, Australia does have a health care system we can go to a public hospital for free, doesnt America have that?

I wonder if they took into account the fact that most of our public hospitals are in "code red" all the time and are dangerously short-staffed.

Upvote 0