Quakers

S

StormHawk

The term "quakers" comes from the practice of standing until "moved" by the Spirit to speak.

Early Quakers "We received often the pouring down of the Spirit upon us, and our hearts were made glad and our tongues loosed and our mouths opened, and we spake with new tongues as the Lord gave utterance, and as His Spirit led us."

(source, p143)

As with most groups, the fire they started with seems to have died down somewhat.

Their legacy is halls and oats.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
S

StormHawk

(Two jokes there. If you are young and you don't eat porridge
you may get neither).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The term "quakers" comes from the practice of standing until "moved" by the Spirit to speak.

Or else it was a term that derived from them quaking before the magistrate when brought into court in days gone by.

Their legacy is halls and oats.

Hall and Oates are not Quakers.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
ah, I said halls and oats ... then did the play on words

:doh:

I immediately thought you were referring to the musical duo that closed its concerts by giving testimony to their conversion to Bahai, I think it was. But that wasn't H&O. Someone refresh my memory, please!

Anyway, we haven't done much to help Miss Shy understand the Quakers and should get at that. The Society of Friends, usually called the Quakers, is a liberal denomination that was founded by a man who, on one occasion, was moved to the realization that God is at all times near to us all, and concluded that he acts on us directly, spiritually, as opposed to church dictates and scripture.

While not denying traditional Christian beliefs, Quakers take a very personal and non-institutional approach to the faith. Customarily, Quakers meet together but do not have clergy. They await the moving of the spirit upon the assembly and then each person is free to get up and speak as he feels moved to do. No sacraments are observed and no particular definition of the nature of God is required. Famously, Quakers are pacifists and avoid worldly dress and amusements.

There is some similarity in that to the Mennonites and Amish, but the Quakers are of English origin and do not engage in the kind of strict controls that the Mennonites are known for. Quakerism comes about as close as is possible within Christianity to do without creeds, clergy, ceremony, ordinances, and regulations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Shy

Apr 7, 2013
✟15,193.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
You're welcome. :)
He's a great guy. Maybe he'll register here at CF once. ;)

Maybe. It would be nice if there was an auctual Quaker on here, I have found it quite hard to find information about them, a person who follows that way of life I think would be fasinating to talk to.

Not that everyone else isn't fasinating of course. :)

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Maybe. It would be nice if there was an auctual Quaker on here, I have found it quite hard to find information about them, a person who follows that way of life I think would be fasinating to talk to.

Not that everyone else isn't fasinating of course. :)

:D

I am fascinating as well: Born Catholic - stopped being Catholic and started reading the bible - converted to a Baptist Church - over many detours I came to the Charismatic Catholic Renewal - and then officially Reverted to the Catholic Church - and now I am a happy traditional Catholic (also broke with the Charismatic Renewal in the meantime; Too much happy-clappy there.)

Upvote 0

Miss Shy

Apr 7, 2013
✟15,193.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

I am fascinating as well: Born Catholic - stopped being Catholic and started reading the bible - converted to a Baptist Church - over many detours I came to the Charismatic Catholic Renewal - and then officially Reverted to the Catholic Church - and now I am a happy traditional Catholic (also broke with the Charismatic Renewal in the meantime; Too much happy-clappy there.)

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Quakers do not participate in baptism. I can't honestly call them a Christian group that follows the Bible. Baptism is a clear command from God. They are misguided.

http://www.fgcquaker.org/explore/faqs-about-quakers#Bible

Not surprising:

"The Bible is a book close to the hearts of many Friends. Many Quakers turn to the Hebrew and Christian scriptures for inspiration, insight, and guidance. They are valued as a source of wisdom that has been sacred to many generations. Quakers are informed by Biblical scholarship that offers perspective on the creation of the Bible and the understanding we have of it today. Most Quakers do not consider the Bible to be the final authority or the only source of sacred wisdom. We read it in the context of other religious writings and sources of wisdom, including the Light Within and worshipful community discernment. Some Quakers have little interest in the Bible."

Additionally,

"The Quaker way has deep Christian roots that form our understanding of God, our faith, and our practices. Many Quakers consider themselves Christian, and some do not. Many Quakers today draw spiritual nourishment from our Christian roots and strive to follow the example of Jesus. Many other Quakers draw spiritual sustenance from various religious traditions, such as Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and the nature religions."

I source directly from their website. Stay away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Mar 3, 2013
✟15,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Religious Society of Friends.

Can anyone help me with information about this Christian Group?

Thank you. :)

I can help with some information... there's one around here and these were some links on their church site:

American Friends Service Committee | Quaker values in action
"AFSC is a Quaker organization devoted to service, development, and peace programs throughout the world. Our work is based on the belief in the worth of every person, and faith in the power of love to overcome violence and injustice. "
"Who we are

The American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) is a Quaker organization that promotes lasting peace with justice, as a practical expression of faith in action. Drawing on continuing spiritual insights and working with people of many backgrounds, we nurture the seeds of change and respect for human life that transform social relations and systems.
Read our complete mission and values statement
Board of Directors | Staff Leadership | Organizational structure
History

AFSC has more than nine decades of experience building peace in communities worldwide. Founded in the crucible of World War I by Quakers who aimed to serve both humanity and country while being faithful to their commitment to nonviolence, AFSC has worked throughout the world in conflict zones, in areas affected by natural disasters, and in oppressed communities to address the root causes of war and violence.

In 1947, AFSC was a co-recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize, on behalf of all Quakers for our work “…from the nameless to the nameless….”
Read more about our history
Read reflections by people affected by our work
Our work today

From our experience, we know that peacemaking requires more than merely advocating against one war or another. Real peace is more than the absence of war. Rather, we need to change the culture, situations, and systems that lead to violence.

AFSC knows that miracles can happen when we build the capacity for peace person-by-person, community-by-community. When people understand the terrible consequences of violence and witness realistic alternatives, they come together as a powerful force to address the underlying causes and lay the foundation for lasting peace.
See a breakdown of our programs on the Our Work page
Look at some of our publications past and present
Learn more about AFSC's finances

"

About AFSC | American Friends Service Committee

"
Our work

The American Friends Service Committee’s programs touch a wide range of issues, countries, and communities. What unites them is the unfaltering belief in the essential worth of every human being, non-violence as the way to resolve conflict, and the power of love to overcome oppression, discrimination, and violence.
palyouth_0.jpg
Fostering Peace in Communities

Primarily in urban settings, AFSC uses conflict resolution, “summit meetings” between rival groups, and simple projects such as gardens to bring together diverse elements to reduce violence. Learn more

Our work | American Friends Service Committee

So those are their interests... human rights issues...

"
AFSC History

The American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) was founded in 1917 during World War I to give young conscientious objectors ways to serve without joining the military or taking lives. They drove ambulances, ministered to the wounded, and stayed on in Europe after the armistice to rebuild war-ravaged communities.

Following that modest beginning, AFSC has responded in numerous ways to human suffering such as:

• Feeding thousands of children in Germany and Austria after World War I
  • Helping distressed Appalachian mining communities find alternative means to make a living in the 1930s
  • Negotiating with the Gestapo in Germany to aid Jewish refugees
  • After World War II, sending aid teams to India, China, and Japan
  • Giving aid to civilians on both sides of the Vietnam War and providing draft counseling to thousands of young men
  • Sponsoring conferences for young diplomats in emerging African democracies
  • Establishing economic development programs in Asia, Africa, and Latin America from the 1970s to the present
  • Providing extensive support to the modern U.S. civil rights movement and public school desegregation
  • Working with numerous communities such as Native Americans, immigrants, migrant workers, prisoners, and low-income families on education and justice issues
  • Building peaceful communities all over the world
In 1947, along with British Quakers, AFSC received the Nobel Peace Prize, which recognized our work “…from the nameless to the nameless….”"

AFSC History | American Friends Service Committee

• Friend's Committee on National Legislation (Peace, justice, immigration seem to be their interests): FCNL

Salt and Light - YouTube

"The documentary “Salt and Light“, a vivid video story of the Sixth World Conference of Friends, comes thanks to four Friends from Pacific Yearly Meeting." a la their website
Pacific Yearly Meeting | Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)

FWCC Section of the Americas Programs

From Wikipedia:
Quakers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-----------------

So... this is the social justice, peace-loving, pro-immigration, anti-slavery, humanitarian, anti-segregation, pro-integration, pro-affirmative action (liberal) line... which won a Noble Peace Prize.

Though, there are divisions it seems. The above seems to be typical, however.

That is the information I found, hope it helps.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

MoeSzyslak

Sep 1, 2007
✟15,971.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not a quaker but I attend a quaker meeting fairly regularly. Quakers, like every other of form, of Christianity has splintered through the years. There are some quaker meetings now that, as posted above, are not really Christian anymore. I think the more liberal meetings are in the Friends General Conference.

The meeting I attend is part of the Evangelical Friends Church International. The EFCI is a Christian conference. It is a member of the National Association of Evangelicals and confesses a Christian statement of faith. (Friends Beliefs)

In the EFCI services are usually split, half waiting in the spirit and half a more traditional service (songs, scripture reading etc.)

If one would ask what makes the EFCI distinct from other evangelical churches, it would probably be Christian non-resistance/pacifism and encouragement of simple lifestyles (but not to the length of old order amish or anything like that.) They also seem to have been influenced by Wesleyanism at some point.

Upvote 0