Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had a question regarding a practice that occurs at my parish. One of our associates who offers Mass changes words here and there which I know do not invalidate the Mass, although it is a serious problem/abuse. Recently, at the consecration a new "invention" must have entered his mind. He consecrates the Host according to the rubrics; the Precious Blood is where is the problem lies. This is what he says, "Take this all of you and drink from it; this is the cup of my blood, the blood of the new and everlasting covenant which will be shed for you and for all. Then he said to them, do this in memory of me." I underlined his added phrase. My question is whether this invalidates the Mass since he is taking himself out of persona Christi by saying, "he said to them"?

I do not think that this invalidates the consecration of the Precious Blood.

However, what he is doing is a serious abuse.

Priests are not to add anything to the texts of Mass, especially in an important moment such as the consecration!

It seems to me that one should ask him respectfully about this and, if nothing comes from it, speak to his pastor and then write the local bishop with a summary of everything that happens and everything you did.

Perhaps Father would like a "SAY THE BLACK DO THE RED!" coffee mug, or there should be one of these framed plaques in the sacristy.

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2009/08/quaeritur-priest-adds-words-to-the-consecration/