Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Using shamanism as an insanity cover for political extremism is insulting to actual religious minorities.
I think he really believes he's shamanistic - he seems to syncretize several religions into his own custom belief set. I don't think he's truly mentally ill - I think he's a bit psychotic and sociopathic but they are trying to make him out to be insane, and he's not.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I think he really believes he's shamanistic - he seems to syncretize several religions into his own custom belief set. I don't think he's truly mentally ill - I think he's a bit psychotic and sociopathic but they are trying to make him out to be insane, and he's not.

I think his "shamanism" is little more than the equivalent of drag (and I think its a label that others have pinned on him). QAnon was his real religion. Most real shamans weren't exactly rallying around Trump's politics, because Trump wedding himself to the Evangelical Right pretty much precluded that.

I agree though, he's not insane in the legal sense. Being narcissistic and/or sociopathic doesn't qualify as insanity.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think his "shamanism" is little more than the equivalent of drag (and I think its a label that others have pinned on him). QAnon was his real religion. Most real shamans weren't exactly rallying around Trump's politics, because Trump wedding himself to the Evangelical Right pretty much precluded that.

I agree though, he's not insane in the legal sense. Being narcissistic and/or sociopathic doesn't qualify as insanity.
Insanity defense is really tough. One can be pretty crazy and still be legally sane. They might do better arguing his illness should be a mitigating factor in sentencing.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Insanity. n. mental illness of such a severe nature that a person cannot distinguish fantasy from reality, cannot conduct her/his affairs due to psychosis, or is subject to uncontrollable impulsive behavior. ... It's informed by mental health professionals, but the term today is primarily legal, not psychological.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/in-therapy/200907/the-definition-insanity

...Seems to fit IMO.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Insanity. n. mental illness of such a severe nature that a person cannot distinguish fantasy from reality, cannot conduct her/his affairs due to psychosis, or is subject to uncontrollable impulsive behavior. ... It's informed by mental health professionals, but the term today is primarily legal, not psychological.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/in-therapy/200907/the-definition-insanity

...Seems to fit IMO.
Most of the people who share his delusions are perfectly capable of distinguishing fantasy from reality. They just prefer not to.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most of the people who share his delusions are perfectly capable of distinguishing fantasy from reality. They just prefer not to.

Yet, he was willing to starve to death rather than eat prison food... That seems irrational and unnecessarily self destructive.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,454.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yet, he was willing to starve to death rather than eat prison food... That seems irrational and unnecessarily self destructive.
You don't know american prison food.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

...Seems to fit IMO.

A significant number of Q supporters at the capitol on Jan. 6 were small businessmen. If they had enough wherewithall to organize a business, they were not insane.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

There is an odd phenomenon with conservative people like Q-Shaman where they believe they are strongly Native American or at least they feel kinship to Native American culture and adopt it. Chuck Norris is one example (he actually is of Native American heritage, considerably) and another is Ted Nugent (who is of little or no Native American heritage but either way it appeals to him so he incorporates it into his worldview). That is where "Shaman" comes from for all these folks, including our Q-Shaman here. It is based on Native American Shamans which they respect (at least their idea of it). They try to syncretize Native American paganism with Christianity.

It's no different than if he called himself "Reverend" or "Pastor" or a similar Christian clerical title. It's obvious that the title he claims is not true to the religion it comes from. But yes, it is insulting.

They incorporate religious terms and aspects, including clerical titles, because as you correctly point out their true religion is the politics itself, in this case Trump and Q-Anon political beliefs which go hand-in-hand...

So, yes, it's insulting, as I agreed with you earlier, but also consider the source and it's not quite as insulting when it's an obvious psychotic weirdo who is doing it, since he's so obviously a weirdo.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
There is an odd phenomenon with conservative people like Q-Shaman where they believe they are strongly Native American or at least they feel kinship to Native American culture and adopt it.

Q-Shaman seems to have alot of generic northern European pagan affectations/drag going on, judging by the dress and tattoos he had.

That is where "Shaman" comes from for all these folks, including our Q-Shaman here. It is based on Native American Shamans which they respect (at least their idea of it). They try to syncretize Native American paganism with Christianity.

Alot of these folks are attracted to crude toxic-male stereotypes of these cultures as "warriors", projecting a rugged, independent masculinity they did not actually value as a real people, and they don't really care about the spiritual aspects of these cultures in any depth.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Q-Shaman seems to have alot of generic northern European pagan affectations/drag going on, judging by the dress and tattoos he had.

Alot of these folks are attracted to crude toxic-male stereotypes of these cultures as "warriors", projecting a rugged, independent masculinity they did not actually value as a real people, and they don't really care about the spiritual aspects of these cultures in any depth.
Spot on, I agree 100% and I like the way you worded it.

The key (which I hope I didn't give the impression I thought otherwise) is that they have a true respect for these various religions, cultures, etc. but not the true version of them but rather their stylized and selectively exaggerated versions that they derive from them. You're dead on that it's the "rugged, independent masculinity" aspect they like and they exaggerate and heighten this to match their true political religion; they aren't interested in the true reality of these peoples, cultures, or religions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,017.00
Country
United States