✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Imaginosis said:
On Tenerife Island, in the Canary Islands, pyramids were discovered relatively recently. They resemble the pyramids of Peru and other locations. Their positions are aligned with solstices. Do these pyramids represent a derivative civilization from Babel?

The Güimar Pyramids Ethnographic Park

after 3 full pages via google of tourist information pointing at the pyramids i finally found the official site for the park
http://www.piramidesdeguimar.net/ingles/pagina.htm

but in any case, it is tangential at best to the creation-evolution-design debate

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
jabechler said:
with some rescent study on ancient civilisations I surmise that these pyamids and other " temples" are parts of the antideluvian cities. Now that should make some question evolution.
The chance of them actually being from a pre-flood era is extremely slim. First, a world-wide flood would have had to actually occur and leave no evidence.

And why in the world would this cause people to question evolution? I can't for the life of me figure out what these pyramids have to do with genetic diversity.

Reactions: Willtor
Upvote 0

jabechler

Mar 16, 2006
✟324.00
Faith
SDA
Dannager said:
The chance of them actually being from a pre-flood era is extremely slim. First, a world-wide flood would have had to actually occur and leave no evidence.

And why in the world would this cause people to question evolution? I can't for the life of me figure out what these pyramids have to do with genetic diversity.
If these are remnants of antediluvian cities built years before " the earliest know civilizations" the knowledge of math, engineering and construction technets far surpass our " enlightened knowledge" of today. After all the Egyptian pyramids which would be 1-2000 years newer cannot be built today with all our technology. So if true are we evolving or de-evolving.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
jabechler said:
If these are remnants of antediluvian cities built years before " the earliest know civilizations" the knowledge of math, engineering and construction technets far surpass our " enlightened knowledge" of today. After all the Egyptian pyramids which would be 1-2000 years newer cannot be built today with all our technology. So if true are we evolving or de-evolving.

I'm not sure this is a correct way of looking at evolution. The only semantics for "de-evolving" would be that we could hypothetically mate with our distant ancestors, but not our nearer ancestors. Even if we actually had lesser technology than the ancients (we don't), there wouldn't be any implications for evolution.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
jabechler said:
After all the Egyptian pyramids which would be 1-2000 years newer cannot be built today with all our technology.

Cannot be built, or there is just no point in building something like that in that fashion?

There are modern wonders of engineering that are very recent that far surpass the example of the pyramids, which are simply very large static structures.

And as Willtor pointed out, our capacity as a society perform certain feats is not an indicator of our biological evolution.

Upvote 0

jabechler

Mar 16, 2006
✟324.00
Faith
SDA
As I understand the broad picture of evolution, It is the idea that as biological creatures evolve through selective adaptation, survival of the fitest and the many other theories ,that acquired knowledge increases as well thus propelling the species to higher and higher plans of evolution. if this is true and we relate it to the ancient civilizations which clearly had knowledge we dont have today and abilities we dont have today how could the process have contiunued.

one simple example of this knowledge i see in my profession is that homes built 100-200 years ago with somewhat primative technology, many are still standing how be it not level or plumb but sturdy. Homes we build with modern building techics are falling appart within 30-50 years. Yet structures we cant duplicate today are being found to be 2,3,4 or even 5000 years old. Our physical stature has declined the plant life has declined and the theory of evolution cant begin to explain it.

I love the dialogue and will look for facts to show these ancient civilizations did exist and is reinventing earths history and the evolutionary process.

Upvote 0

graysparrow

My life is for the kids who have it rough
Feb 6, 2005
Canary Islands
✟12,769.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Imaginosis said:
On Tenerife Island, in the Canary Islands, pyramids were discovered relatively recently. They resemble the pyramids of Peru and other locations. Their positions are aligned with solstices. Do these pyramids represent a derivative civilization from Babel?

Hi I'm from La Orotava, Tenerife.

No way. Those are not older than 200 years. It's a good way to attract tourists, imho.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
jabechler said:
As I understand the broad picture of evolution, It is the idea that as biological creatures evolve through selective adaptation, survival of the fitest and the many other theories ,that acquired knowledge increases as well thus propelling the species to higher and higher plans of evolution. if this is true and we relate it to the ancient civilizations which clearly had knowledge we dont have today and abilities we dont have today how could the process have contiunued.

one simple example of this knowledge i see in my profession is that homes built 100-200 years ago with somewhat primative technology, many are still standing how be it not level or plumb but sturdy. Homes we build with modern building techics are falling appart within 30-50 years. Yet structures we cant duplicate today are being found to be 2,3,4 or even 5000 years old. Our physical stature has declined the plant life has declined and the theory of evolution cant begin to explain it.

I love the dialogue and will look for facts to show these ancient civilizations did exist and is reinventing earths history and the evolutionary process.

What ancient knowlege once possessed and now lost are you referring to?

Our knowledge in the science far surpasses that of the Romans, for example, whose highest professions were rhetoric and horse husbandry.

Accomplished engineers they were, and we stand upon their shoulders, but we can do what they could only dream of.

Your house analogy doesn't work either, because you fail to take into consideration how the economies have changed over time.

My parents have a farm whose house and barn are both over 130 years old. They both stand tall and straight (straight enough at least). But if you look at how inefficiently each of those buildings is built, and then calculate what it would take in todays money to build the same thing the same way you will see that both are simply too expensive. Mainly because they are both over engineered. We have lighter, sturdier and more economic materials today that allow us to get the job done more efficiently and avoid the biggest cost in construction - paying for the labour.

But now to the main point regarding your conception of evolution: while not random you go too far in suggesting the evolution is hierarchal, that one creation can be more evolved than another. Evolution isn't a ladder that leads to some divine plateau. It's a tree that branches out into a myriad of different pathways.

Regarding whether or not our physical stature has declined, you have to define who you are talking about. From what I've read on the topic, overall people have been getting taller and bigger. But again you have to define the population you are examaning. It could be that certain populations are getting smaller, which I've mostly seen linked to nutrition.

For example: a recent article I read on another board talked about how bust size in China is getting bigger among Chinese women because of better nutrition. This isn't necessarily an evolutionary response as it is a physiological response that is a result of our evolutionary pathway.

And with regards to loss of plant life (and you can broaden this to include an overall loss of biodiversity) you cannot ignore the effects man has had on his environments. Fact is we can destroy life more quickly than it can adapt to our actions.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.