Puzzled how Christians interpret verses

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Recently, I was watching a Youtube video of 5 must misunderstood Bible verses.

One was the “Judge not” passage:
Matthew 7

7 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

The youtuber claims that the passage that begins “Judge not” actually is telling us to judge, and how to do it rightly.

While it does explain how to point out the minor offense in your brother by first removing the major offense in your own life, the person in the most need is the person using the bible as a book of law to condemn others, rather than using it as a mirror for self reflection on the one thing you have control over - your own life.

Jesus doesn’t begin saying, “this is how you should judge:”
He say, “Do not judge, or you will be judged,” then points out the foolishness of some with a plank in their eye pointing out the speck in another.

My take away - don’t spend all of your time condemning others and focus on your own life, and it being in line with God. Only point out the sins of others in love and to edify, never to condemn, exhault yourself, to demonize or dehumanize, or you have judged yourself. And never judge on the surface. As for judging nonChristians by the Bible Standard is like a Jewish person judging an atheist for eating pork or a Muslim saying a Christian is in violation of the Quran. Why would a nonChristian be concerned with following the Bible?

A second point I hear is: We aren’t supposed to judge if we are doing the same thing, that is hypocrisy.
Yes, indeed, but the verse doesn’t say “why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye but pay no attention to the speck in your own. “

No, it’s saying your brother has a speck and you have a plank.
The comparison shows the seriousness of your own sin, but judge others and ignore your own. Would you want someone with a stick coming out of their eye try to help you with the speck in yours, or fear injury of your eye getting poked out.

And after one article, the bottom line: Jesus calls us to take out the speck in others’ eyes.

and i think...i’m sorry, what??? He telling people to examine themselves first, to use the Bible as a mirror and not binoculars. Then, helping your neighbor out of love will come naturally.

So when discussing verses like this, the poster will make false this or that choice:
Condone prostitution
Call her a harlot, yell at her, tough love.

i have a really hard time believing Christ was welcomed by the sinners when he ate with them by calling them harsh names, saying, “you’re all going to hell! Repent. Repent now! Mind if i eat with you...”

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
i have a really hard time believing Christ was welcomed by the sinners when he ate with them by calling them harsh names, saying, “you’re all going to hell! Repent. Repent now! Mind if i eat with you...”

Very few are converted or changed by the accusers and inquisitors. People are changed by compassion and gentle guidance.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There is a place for pointing out a fault in a Christian brother or sister, and Jesus gives the process for it in Matthew 18:15. 1 John 5:16 tells us that we have a responsibility to correct a brother who sins in order to save his life. Paul says that when we correct others, we need to do it with gentleness and humility knowing that by the grace of God we could quite easily find ourselves in the same state.

There is a vast difference between gently and loving correcting a brother who may be doing something that may be harming him and bringing the church into disrepute; and accusing your mother-in-law of having a Jezebel spirit and demon possession!

• Agree
Reactions: DNB
Upvote 0

DNB

Jan 17, 2020
Toronto
✟19,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I've always that there's a prudence and perception that comes with judging right from wrong, and recognizing another's character, i.e. knowing who you're dealing with (charlatan, false prophet, troublemaker, etc...).
But, I think that the context that Jesus was referring to, was not a virtue based on discernment, which, in my opinion, is incumbent upon all Christians to have, but rather a self-righteous and undermining assessment of another.

The difference being, when you do show valid indignation towards another's licentious attitude or behaviour, they will always defensively retort back, 'don't judge!'. And it is always the mostly guilty that will reply in such a manner, ...deceptively applying a misuse of the principle.

But again, judging for the sake of feeling superior, like the praying Pharisee in regard to the tax collector, then this is what Jesus was clearly denouncing as wicked and hypocritical, as we all would agree.

Upvote 0