Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it okay? Well, I don't know how to answer that. I will say that I would never do it for the same basic reason that I think it's wrong to euthanize humans. I value life and see all life as a gift from God. I understand that suffering is so hard to see, but a good vet can presribe something so that your pet is not suffering in pain. Getting a pet means you are making a committment to take care of it until it dies. That can be a big responsibility, but it just doesn't seem fair to me to have it killed because it needs extra care and attention.

****This is just my opinion. I have 2 dogs that are like children to me, and I couldn't dream of having them put to sleep for any reason.****

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Before I was Orthodox, one of my "friends" asked me to take her cat to the vet to have it put to sleep. I even hate to use that terminology.

Anyway the vet had a very hard time even finding a vein as the cat was very sick. I would not go through that experience again. Plus it's not loving ... the cat was stressed in traveling in the car, stressed by the doctor, stressed at being placed on a cold examining table ... it's simply not humane ... worst, it's so expensive, at least here in California. There is the examination fee, the injection fee, the office fee, and the disposal fee. This is not natural.

I had three pets which I knew were dying, and one (a new-born goat) died in my arms. It was sad, but it knew it was loved. The others found a hiding place in a corner because they knew it was time. That is the best way. They knew that I loved them and they died in peace without stress and strangers.

Upvote 0

Julio

Dec 21, 2004
✟8,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta said:
****This is just my opinion. I have 2 dogs that are like children to me, and I couldn't dream of having them put to sleep for any reason.****
We had to put our family dog of 14 years to sleep in 2001. He was having violent seizures, and in the frenzy, was biting himself. We tried to treat him to the very last minute, but nothing worked, so we had to do it. I'm not a fan of killing any living being, but sometimes, it is necessary to put pets to sleep.

Man, am I ever not over that! :cry:

Upvote 0

Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta

Pie-baking apron-clad hausfrau :D
Jun 22, 2004
Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Julio said:
We had to put our family dog of 14 years to sleep in 2001. He was having violent seizures, and in the frenzy, was biting himself. We tried to treat him to the very last minute, but nothing worked, so we had to do it. I'm not a fan of killing any living being, but sometimes, it is necessary to put pets to sleep.

I'm sorry to hear that, Julio.:hug: One of my dogs is almost 9 now, and I literally cry every time I even think of him dying. :cry: He is the best dog in the world and has so many human qualities in his personality that it's almost scary.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Julio said:

I had the same experience with my dog of 13 years. He had lung cancer, common in Labs, which had spread to his brain. One day he was fine and the next he had to be sedated to keep him from seizures with no hope of recovery. Like BoJangles, to this day I still grieve when I think of that day.

Upvote 0

countrymousenc

Dances With Mop
Jan 26, 2004
North Carolina, USA
✟2,098.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree, Esran, that it should be a last resort, but sometimes it is the only kind thing left to do.

A neighbor's dog became so feeble that she could no longer get up on her feet. Think about it - the poor thing couldn't even get up to relieve herself. Fortunately, the veteranarian made a house call so they didn't have to move her.

I'm now watching my Curly, the best dog I've ever had, aging, and when the weather is exremely cold, he has difficulty getting up. He's twelve years old now, and I know that sometime in the next few years he will either die naturally or some health issue could make it necessary to euthanize him. It's not a pleasant thought.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wiffey

He is my refuge and my fortress...
Oct 27, 2004
✟18,913.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I had a wonderful Basset Hound named Woody who was my pride and joy...he developed hip dysplasia and was in horrible pain. It got so bad that he would bite anyone who came near him or touched him. He couldn't move and just cried and snapped at anyone who tried to comfort him. We had him put to sleep, because there was no hope. But I wimped out and asked my Dad to do it...I just couldn't. I hate putting animals to sleep, but sometimes there isn't an option. Which maybe makes me a hypocrite because I am against euthanasia...

Upvote 0

Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta

Pie-baking apron-clad hausfrau :D
Jun 22, 2004
Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bruncvik said:
animals dont have souls, so it isnt equated with murder. however, our treatment towards animals and other living things affects our judgement (i forgot where i read that, maybe on the 10 commandments confession help site) but..
How do you know they don't have souls?

Upvote 0

Marjorie

Senior Veteran
Sep 5, 2004
✟11,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Bruncvik said:
animals dont have souls, so it isnt equated with murder. however, our treatment towards animals and other living things affects our judgement (i forgot where i read that, maybe on the 10 commandments confession help site) but..
As I understand it, animals have souls-- they just don't have spirits, and they are not made in the image of God. (That's how Bp. +Kallistos put it anyway.)

In IC XC,
Marjorie

Upvote 0

Stephanida

Unworthy Handmaid of God
Dec 6, 2004
Canada
✟942.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
CA-Liberals
I volenteer at the Animal Rescue League in my town and I just cry everytime they put an animal to sleep more so when it is a little kitten or puppy that isn't wanted anymore, if there are too many abandoned puppies and kittens they have to put some to sleep because there isn't enough room for them all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta said:
How do you know they don't have souls?

I could make a very strong argument for the fact that Oliver does have a soul and often is a reflection of God's love for me when I am most in need of his love! As for Brittany, she might just be a reflection of the fact that God has a sense of humor and loves life!

Upvote 0

Orthosdoxa

Happy wife and mommy
Feb 11, 2003
nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I too have read that animals have souls, just not spirits. A fine distinction.

My Lenny is sssssuuuuuuuuuucccccccchhhhhhhhhhhh a love. He is the most cuddly animal I have ever met. All he wants is to be held and to cover his holder in kitty kisses, while purring with the loudest rusty motor you ever heard. He is happiest when I am laying down and he can lay on my neck and curl around my head.

Reactions: Michael G
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.