Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wondering around YouTube for Orthodox cartoons and ran into this video from 4 years ago.

I’ve certainly not jumped into a frozen lake on theophany, so it could very well be that Putin is a more faithful Christian than I am.

that depends on why you jump in

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I guess it varies among who did some must have been reluctant and others just murderers. I would think it runs the same gamut among Shintos ( for ex.). I guess a megalomaniac might think of themself as a protector, even be an authentic tough guy while murdering innocents.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In Russia, it’s for theophany. That’s usually why.

Americans do it, too but they call it “polar bear challenge” or something.

I am a priest, so I know it’s done during Theophany. I have seen it done many times. what I meant was are you diving in to be part of the service, or are you diving in to show how tough you are.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am a priest, so I know it’s done during Theophany. I have seen it done many times. what I meant was are you diving in to be part of the service, or are you diving in to show how tough you are.

Ah I see. Well, I’ve no clue what’s in his heart.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

Cody J Dunbar

Cody-Gregory
Oct 19, 2022
Harrisburg, PA
✟13,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
For a lot of people, it can be a bit of both, to be honest. I remember the first time I did this was when I was a catechumen. I was being over zealous and wanted to prove myself in this new church as someone who loved Christ. That thought itself was my problem.

An anecdote from our Popadija is that many women in Serbia would be impressed by all the men who would take part in this service. Thus that gave men an ulterior motive to jump into the water.

As was already said, we can't know what is in someone's heart, and there isn't some simple test or challenge that will reveal it.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
For a lot of people, it can be a bit of both, to be honest. I remember the first time I did this was when I was a catechumen. I was being over zealous and wanted to prove myself in this new church as someone who loved Christ. That thought itself was my problem.

An anecdote from our Popadija is that many women in Serbia would be impressed by all the men who would take part in this service. Thus that gave men an ulterior motive to jump into the water.

As was already said, we can't know what is in someone's heart, and there isn't some simple test or challenge that will reveal it.

good points.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nick1000

Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟424,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Always hope for Putin.

bb3238ebd73360c2123128a538219ad6.jpg

• Prayers
Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nick1000

Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟424,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
indeed there is, and he might not end up in hell. only God knows that.

Quite so.

Saul of Tarsus ended out as - let us say- a very fine Christian, through the Grace of God, although the human minds at the time would never have foreseen it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Quite so.

Saul of Tarsus ended out as - let us say- a very fine Christian, through the Grace of God, although the human minds at the time would never have foreseen it.

and St Mary of Egypt, St Moses of Ethiopia…

Upvote 0