• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Putin to protect Christians?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Yeshua HaDerekh, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Yeshua HaDerekh

Yeshua HaDerekh Men can dream of truth, but then cant live with it

+1,773
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. gzt

gzt The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years

+1,546
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    One should always take a ruler's pronouncements with a grain of salt and "put not your trust in princes...", but the words he says, one can at least hope that he means it and will get some good result. However, is it possible you could refer to Putin's words without pointing at such a... nutty website? Rothschilds and NWO etc? That's conspiracy theory nonsense talking right there.

3. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+11,567
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    I certainly hope he is, as I have no doubt that he is a faithful Christian. however, I must also agree with gzt that he is an elected official, and I would amend gzt's comment to say to take a Lot's wife of salt.

4. Gxg (G²)

Gxg (G²) Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7) Supporter CF Ambassadors

+1,181
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    US-Others
    Agreed

5. Orthodoxjay1

Orthodoxjay1 Well-Known Member

+751
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    I'm Cynical with what Putin is doing I'm sure he will protect Christians but to advance his own agenda he is a leader of a nation-state after all but I shouldn't judge what is in his heart. I think we need to look at our own Orthodox history the early Kings and monarchs of the Roman Empire didn't legalize Christianity because they felt sorry for persecuting the Christians in the Catacombs they had their own interests however no matter the reason Christianity was protected and paganism was even for a while suppressed. By the way don't get me wrong their were Christ loving Kings and Queens I don't mean all of them.

6. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant Do the little things

+123
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    It is not 'why' one becomes Orthodox, but 'that' one is Orthodox.

I think of Equal-to-the-Apostles Constantine, though the motivations to adopt Christianity may be viewed cynically, his conversion was a valiant victory for the Way of Christ.

I pray Putin may permit the church to be well nourished in this present world so it may blossom in coming generations.

7. GregConstantine

GregConstantine Newbie

+562
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    "I have no doubt that he is a faithful Christian."

That gave me a chuckle today

8. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+7,591
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    Putin may be good or bad, for any number of reasons. Is he doing what others are unwilling to do, however? I mean, you look at the USA and its politicians cannot wait to send arms into the latest conflict, and for some reason are sure they know the good from the bad on the ground of places they only ever visit with armed convoys (*cough* McCain). So I don't really see how Putin is so terrible for openly stating, as he has on several occasions, that Russia is intervening on behalf of the legitimate government of Syria because the "rebels" are mostly Islamist scum. He's not wrong, even if he is authoritarian and bad (by hypocritical western standards, that is), and even if people did die in the Nord-Ost attack. (Funny how that's spun, by the way..."130 die from gas on his orders!" What about the Chechen terrorists who had taken them hostage in the first place? Is it better that they get to blow everyone up or shoot everyone so that everyone dies, instead of 130? There were 850-900 hostages.)

When you are in situations that don't have clear cut "good" outcomes like that, sometimes it's necessary to consider all possible outcomes and settle on one that is not good, but is not as bad as the worst possible ones. I'm not even saying that's what Putin or the Spetsnaz did in this case or any other particular case, only that 130 dead is 'better' (again, only comparatively; you could never say that if you consider the enormous weight of 130 dead on their families and such) than 900 dead. And also, they killed 40 of the terrorists. That is something I would say is actually a clear cut good, as that is 40 terrorists who can't hold another theater hostage.

9. seekingsolace

seekingsolace Bah

+1,044
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Unfortunately I think the only protection Christians will get in these war-torn areas, presently or in the future, is to leave. There are too many radicals indoctrinating children, and spreading this hateful ideology. I don't see a time without instability and fear for the native population of Christians.

10. GregConstantine

GregConstantine Newbie

+562
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    " the Church couldn't put any trust in Emperor Constantine either?"

Yes, Christ is our only hope. The saints manifest the life of Christ, and our trust in them is insofar as they manifest that life, but they are still fallen human beings.

Point is, we do not put our trust in political systems, persons, etc. I do think some of the language used here by some commentators borders on a almost knee jerk response to an idealized image they have of Putin and his policies because they fall in line with their own political ideologies. Sometimes, especially with Americans, the two (Christianity and politics) become conflated with one another Please see my post about 10 ways you can tell if your Christianity has been Americanized.

11. Trying_to_be_Orthodox

Trying_to_be_Orthodox Newbie

+28
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    And just by the way - I am EO, my family is EO, my MOM from territory which is currently called Ukraine, my Grand-Mom is from territory which is currently called Ukraine, my Grand-Fa and some other relatives are grave-yarded on territory which is currently called Ukraine, my Great-Fa lost his life on WW2 in fighting against Hitlers scum and his local racist-facist scum, which is currently glorified in/on Ukraine ( "Heil Ukraine- Heil Heroes" is about them) and a lot of other ppl, who are EO,from Ukraine are agree with me.

12. GregConstantine

GregConstantine Newbie

+562
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    "Constantine was a bloody guy at times as well. Yet he's a saint. Go figure."

Yes, but by the grace of God, not because of his policies.

I see a problematic conflation of Putin's political actions with Orthodoxy. I see quite a few of my Orthodox FB friends almost say things that could be construed as treason (wishing for the downfall of the West/America, wishing for Putin to be victorious in his actions, etc)

That in my opinion is overstepping the bounds.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  13. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+11,516
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Please guys

This has gone very political - and should not be here.

Could I suggest we all step back and leave things for a bit ?

14. GregConstantine

GregConstantine Newbie

+562
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    we can't talk about politics?

15. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+11,516
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    talk - yes

this is developing into a fight - not a good idea

16. Trying_to_be_Orthodox

+28
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Everything you need to know about relation between UA and RU in on 1 picture.
    Yellow - presents of TSARS, blue - Bolsheviks presents, Green - Stalin's, Crimea- after stalin ukranian Commie, and rest of it is possible to disclame as kinda-kinda Ukranian land, not a country. ;)

Attached Files:

17. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,567
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Not much different from the actions of Christian emperors enforcing the decisions of the Ecumenical councils, is it?
    The priest should have got a work visa. He broke the law.
    I don't understand how you shift responsibility from the Moslem terrorists onto Putin. How do you think these hostage situations could have been resolved without loss of civilian life?
    Putin is most assuredly protecting Russian interests in Crimea. It is the only warm water port they have. Everywhere else freezes up in Winter.

18. MarkRohfrietsch

MarkRohfrietsch Unapologetic Apologist Supporter

+3,707
    Lutheran
    Married
    I might as well get some mileage out of this...

Admin Hat...

It seems many can post more prolifically than they can read.

This thread has been cleaned up. There was a whole bunch of posts that violated the congregational rule; and all were off topic.

To those who are not members of this forum; please read and heed our rule:

Congregational Forum Restrictions and Christians Only Forums
    Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum. There are forums reserved for Christian members only. Please do not post in these forums unless you are truly a Christian (please see our Statement of Faith to know exactly what that is). If you wish to discuss unorthodox Christian theology, you may do so in the Controversial Theology forum.

Be advised that repeted violations of this rule will result in warnings and possibly even the suspension of access to Christian Forums.

For those who are members of this forum:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OK?

Mark
    CF Admin

19. BukiRob

BukiRob Newbie

+959
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Constitution

20. Trying_to_be_Orthodox

+28
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Concerning topic:

Putin is not angel, but isnt devil also. He realizes interests of mob by which he is controlled. Sometimes it brings profit to Christian, sometimes - nope. Currently Christians will get profit from winning Asad (if he will win with Putin).