Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think America is going to be a world power for very much longer.

I do.

Economics, shmeconomics! As long as we have a navy on both coasts with ships deployed world-wide, the "strength of the dollar" and the opinions of other world leaders won't change the fact that we have a navy on both coasts with ships deployed world-wide. That's not to say that the U.S. will never fall, but it won't be because the dollar is weaker today than it was 20 years ago. Even if the rest of the world goes to a different standard currency, the U.S. will get back on her feet and will continue to lead the world economically.

If someone takes away our navy, then I'll start singing a different tune.

Putin can talk all he wants. But a brief down period on a graph is not indicative of a long-term trend toward zero. Our economy has some adjusting to do, and soon enough it will have finished its adjustments. Economies like that of the U.S. don't just go away because of some hiccups.

Upvote 0

Chewy55

Jul 2, 2011
✟7,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's interesting hearing Putin criticizing the economic policies of another, considering the economy he oversees is in rotten condition, replete with bureaucratic corruption, interference, and manipulation. Russia's government has been and continues to be a parasite on the Russian economy and deleterious to the Russian people. But this is apparently acceptable for Putin.

This is just old Cold War polemics revisited, nothing more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Prime Minister Putin is right: the United States of America is living beyond its means. Instead of cutting spending and increasing revenue, the United States of America resolves to - tah-dah! - raise the debt ceiling, again, and keep making more (and more and more) debt to pay its way. Fiscal responsibility, baby -- the U.S. way!

After the 1998 financial crisis, Putin whipped up the bankcrupt Russian economy into top gear. During the US-led invasion & occupation of Iraq, when Washington kept raising the debt ceiling every five months and generating trillion and trillion of more debt, Putin's Russia was in a position to pay off its entire debt. Even now, although Russian was one of the hardest hit by the most recent global economic crisis, Russia's debt is less than 10% of the GDP.

So the Washington decision-makers might actually want to consider adopting a page or two out of Putin's book on how to bring a bankcrupt economy back to its feet.

Upvote 0

revelations12_12

Jedi Sentinal
Feb 15, 2005
Oregon
✟4,432.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Prime Minister Putin is right: the United States of America is living beyond its means. Instead of cutting spending and increasing revenue, the United States of America resolves to - tah-dah! - raise the debt ceiling, again, and keep making more (and more and more) debt to pay its way. Fiscal responsibility, baby -- the U.S. way!

After the 1998 financial crisis, Putin whipped up the bankcrupt Russian economy into top gear. During the US-led invasion & occupation of Iraq, when Washington kept raising the debt ceiling every five months and generating trillion and trillion of more debt, Putin's Russia was in a position to pay off its entire debt. Even now, although Russian was one of the hardest hit by the most recent global economic crisis, Russia's debt is less than 10% of the GDP.

So the Washington decision-makers might actually want to consider adopting a page or two out of Putin's book on how to bring a bankcrupt economy back to its feet.

Well said, but be forewarned people on this forum don't take too kindly to the facts or listening to others that actually read the article...

If you chew tobacco, drink Hamms, and watch Fox News you don't need the facts...

Upvote 0

sbvd

Feb 8, 2011
✟8,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Freedom63

Universal Reconciliationist (Eventually)
Aug 4, 2011
Indiana
✟1,527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am no fan of Putin...but I agree with his statement. Our time as the world's super power is fast approaching it's last days. No nation can survive the immoral rate of governmental deficit spending that we have. The economic collapse is pretty much a mathmatical certainty. Our national leaders know this and still sell us down the river. Entitlement programs continue to grow doing nothing but create generations of lazy self absorbed people who think they are owed everything.

God help us!!

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our time as the world's super power is fast approaching it's last days.

I disagree. It's only just begun. I certainly am not clairvoyant, but I believe that we're only at the beginning of American power. If our time as the world power is a book, we've gotten through the introduction and have only just started the first chapter. Our economy will adjust itself, and we'll get back on our feet, stronger than ever before. That is my prediction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freedom63

Universal Reconciliationist (Eventually)
Aug 4, 2011
Indiana
✟1,527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I disagree. It's only just begun. I certainly am not clairvoyant, but I believe that we're only at the beginning of American power. If our time as the world power is a book, we've gotten through the introduction and have only just started the first chapter. Our economy will adjust itself, and we'll get back on our feet, stronger than ever before. That is my prediction.

I truly hope you are right as my view on this gives me no satisfaction whatsoever. But I do not believe any in Washington have the will to make any kind of adjustment that would stave off a collapse possible.

Still...my prayer is certainly that you are right rather than me.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I truly hope you are right as my view on this gives me no satisfaction whatsoever. But I do not believe any in Washington have the will to make any kind of adjustment that would stave off a collapse possible.

Still...my prayer is certainly that you are right rather than me.

But that's not to say that we will be who we were in the past. The world is transforming, as is the U.S. I believe that we'll be powerful, but at the expense of small government principles and traditional moral values.

I believe that we'll continue to be the world power. I say that not because I necessarily see the good in it, but because I see the inevitability of it.

Upvote 0