Put your crash helmet on the chauvin verdict is almost in....and it's guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Nithavela This article has some clarification on that.

To quote:
The second-degree murder charge says Chauvin intentionally assaulted Floyd with his knee, which unintentionally caused Floyd's death. The third-degree murder charge says Chauvin acted with a "depraved mind, without regard for human life." And the second-degree manslaughter charge says Chauvin's "culpable negligence" caused Floyd's death.

The charges are to be considered separate, so Chauvin could be convicted of all, some or none of them. If convicted, Chauvin could face up to 40 years in prison for second-degree murder, up to 25 years for third-degree murder and up to 10 years for second-degree manslaughter.

The actual sentences would likely be much lower, though, because Chauvin has no prior convictions. Minnesota's sentencing guidelines recommend about 12.5 years in prison for each murder charge and about four years for the manslaughter charge.

• Informative
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟244,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Well, I'm shocked that they convicted on 2nd degree murder, but I can see why they would. When Chauvin kept kneeling on Floyd after he passed out and another officer couldn't find a pulse, you could consider that to be felonious assault, which pushes it to murder 2.

So I'll count this as a happy ending. The country won't go up in flames this time.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,188.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
@Nithavela This article has some clarification on that.

To quote:
I think that this kind of sentencing is frivolous. Just piling on charges like that to increase the length of the prison sentence does nothing.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
To God be the glory, this is an example of the power of prayer. For once the judicial system has worked, let this be an example to police officers everywhere. I was going to leave this country now I’m thinking about staying.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,188.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Well, I'm shocked that they convicted on 2nd degree murder, but I can see why they would. When Chauvin kept kneeling on Floyd after he passed out and another officer couldn't find a pulse, you could consider that to be felonious assault, which pushes it to murder 2.

So I'll count this as a happy ending. The country won't go up in flames this time.
I'd bet you a hundred dollars that many places will burn tonight.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I'm shocked that they convicted on 2nd degree murder, but I can see why they would. When Chauvin kept kneeling on the guy after he passed out and another officer couldn't find a pulse, you could consider that to be felonious assault, which pushes it to murder 2.

Don't count chickens before they are hatched.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟649,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'd bet you a hundred dollars that many places will burn tonight.

There were so many people out there just hopin' to score some free merchandise at Target. Something tells me they aren't about to go home empty-handed.

• Agree
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟649,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
To God be the glory, this is an example of the power of prayer. For once the judicial system has worked, let this be an example to police officers everywhere. I was going to leave this country now I’m thinking about staying.

Now it's time to pray the BLM people don't do what they were getting ready to do anyway out of disappointment of being robbed of their opportunity to kill people and destroy things because, "reasons"!

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,188.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Why would places burn tonight?
Because it's human nature.

People will celebrate. Emotions will rise. Some people in the crowd will be out for violence and stealing and will either use the crowd to hide themselves or incite the crowd to follow their bad example.

You know. Bad apples.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.