Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Townhall
Jun 13, 2006
by Gregory Conko

You’ve surely heard about the political bogeymen “Big Oil” and “Big Tobacco,” but when it comes to your freedom to choose the foods you eat, there’s no special interest more powerful than “Big Tofu.”

From attacks on movie theater popcorn to fast food burgers, Big Tofu wants to keep you from dining on steak, French fries, soda and anything else it deems bad for you. The top priority: protect you from yourself by imposing its vegan-leaning, beans-and-rice, “if-it-tastes-good-it-must-be-bad-for-you” views on what constitutes a proper diet.

As laughable as that may sound, the food nannies wield considerable influence in Congress, the media and state governments. Nowhere has this influence been as strong as in . . .

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/GregoryConko/2006/06/13/200973.html

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
While we are at it, let's not forget Big Orange, Big Lettuce, Big Barley, Big Rye, Big Fish, and of course, Big Milk.

Sheesh, if the worst lobby group was Big Tofu, life would be easy.

Hmm, I wonder if I have any Diet Sprite in the fridge *goes to look* :p

Upvote 0

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Don't worry folks - there as a tried and tested cure for the wasting disease of vegetarianism ;) that I myself discovered, developed, tested and used to great effect on my wife, and have since discovered that it has been used on others, so far to my knowledge it has a 100% success rate.

It is called 'A week in Budapest'.

Take the unfortunate subject on a seemingly innocent holiday to Hungary. If possible hook up with Hungarian friends at the airport. The very first thing that will happen when they pick you up is that they will take you to their home and feed you gulyas as part of their hospitality and duty (not the stew we see in the czech republic and the west, but a soup stuffed with meat and spices.). It is very difficult to refuse this meal without being extremely rude. If you are lucky, one of your Hungarian friends may have slaughtered a deer some weeks before, and will offer you some of his homemade salami as well. :) Then you have an evening meal to deal with which will undoubtedly contain mainly meat. Throughout this whole experience you are constantly being plied with spirits, mostly in the form of toasts (which of course are harder to refuse without hurting your hosts feelings).

The next day (after politely turning down the offer of beer with our breakfast) we travelled by train, my wife wanted to try and reassert control over her diet, and sent me to get some bread rolls at the station. Unfortunately, all the rolls we bought had pieces of pork rind baked into them.

That afternoon (after huge mugs of Slivovice on our arrival at our destination) we spent with our host cooking a paprikash ( an extremely meaty stew containing lard pork and beef) over a camp fire in a garden near Lake Balaton. More meat, and so the experience continues to the finale where you are served a 7 course Hungarian banquet the evening before you leave, and only one of the courses (a fish course) has no meat in it.

All in all at the end of our trip which was just under a week, we had probably consumed our own bodyweight in meat. After the initial shock to Nicola's digestive system, the damage was done, and she has been an enthusiastic meat consumer ever since. We have met 2 other people with similar stories since then, so it has to be more than a fluke!

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Harpuia said:
Wow, I just thought the same thing...
There is a secret character in Resident Evil 2 who is named Tofu. His body is a cube of tofu. You can see him here -- the picture is at the bottom of the page.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alsatian Onion Pie

Ingredients :

2 tbl Oil (corn oil gives best results)
3 lrg Onions, finely diced
1 cup Milk
1/3 cup Firm tofu, crushed by hand
1 1/2 tsp Sea salt
1/4 tsp Black pepper
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
2 tbl Unbleached flour
1 tbl Couscous
1 10 Inch Wholewheat Pie Shell

Method :
  • Saute onions in oil (I added 1/2 cup water to prevent burning, or you could substitute water for the oil to reduce fat), until translucent and mostly soft. Blend the soy milk, tofu, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and flour until smooth.
  • Then combine the onions, the soy milk mixture and the couscous.
  • Pour into the prepared pie shell. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.

Meatless Moussaka

Ingredients :

1 lrg red onion thinly sliced rings
1 med eggplant 1/2" think rounds
2 med zucchini thinly sliced
8 oz firm tofu crumbled
1/4 cup fresh basil minced
2 tbl fresh parsley minced
3 cups Tomato sauce
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
2 tbl parmesan cheese grated

Method
:
  • Layer the onions, eggplants, and zucchini in the bottom of an 11-by-7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the tofu over the vegetables. Then top with the basil and parsley. Stir together the tomato sauce and Tabasco. Pour over the tofu and vegetables. Bake at 350F for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and the vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with the cheese before serving.
  • Makes 4 servings.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Voegelin said:
Townhall
Jun 13, 2006
by Gregory Conko

You’ve surely heard about the political bogeymen “Big Oil” and “Big Tobacco,” but when it comes to your freedom to choose the foods you eat, there’s no special interest more powerful than “Big Tofu.”

From attacks on movie theater popcorn to fast food burgers, Big Tofu wants to keep you from dining on steak, French fries, soda and anything else it deems bad for you. The top priority: protect you from yourself by imposing its vegan-leaning, beans-and-rice, “if-it-tastes-good-it-must-be-bad-for-you” views on what constitutes a proper diet.

As laughable as that may sound, the food nannies wield considerable influence in Congress, the media and state governments. Nowhere has this influence been as strong as in . . .

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/GregoryConko/2006/06/13/200973.html

Unlike the agricultural/meat and dairy products lobby.

I think we will be ok.

^_^ ^_^ ^_^ :thumbsup: :cool:

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
morningstar2651 said:
The only way I've eaten tofu is in miso soup. I like miso soup, but I can't say whether or not I like tofu.

That having been said, I like steak and yummy fried stuff too.

Man, miso soup is awesom.:thumbsup: Make that and add some tempura and some Okinawan Soba:) .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah these guys are a big threat to me personally. They keep pushing snackfoods out of schools (I work for a snackfood company).

Of course with children that have zero restraint and keep becoming obese, I can see why peeople are getting this desperate.

Upvote 0

quantumspirit

evangelical humanist
Jul 21, 2004
Minnesota
✟1,798.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Vylo said:
It isn't a conspiracy theory. Seriously, where have you been if you haven't heard of this, or heck even seen it in action?
You're right! It's a strawman, not a conspiracy theory.

Thanks for correcting me:thumbsup:

Upvote 0