Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is more when Jesus "magnifies that law" in Matt 5 that fact does not "rewrite" the New Covenant of Jer 31:31-34 -- rather it further explains it.

The writer of the Book of Hebrews said the New Covenant made the Old Covenant "obsolete".

Heb 8:13 In that He says, "A NEW COVENANT," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

In Galatians 4:24-31 the Apostle Paul told the Galatian believers to "cast out" the Sinai Covenant of "bondage".

Either you and your "scholars" are confused, or the Apostle Paul and the author of the Book of Hebrews are confused. Since your "scholars" did not mention the New Covenant in their man-made confessions, we should not be surprised that they are confused.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I just find it interesting that certain things that are well past the time are mentioned such as the example I mentioned, which makes it seem like a more "recent" book than it is said to be

The scrolls of various books of the TaNaK found at Qumran contain variants. Many of the books in the Bible, as well as secular works, were transferred though generations orally. Each person in the village would memorize one segment of the story with great accuracy, so that the village could come together to repeat the story. This is often how stories were preserved in ancient times. Then one day someone would gather the villagers, and write the story down again, even after the original writing may have been lost.

I believe that Moses wrote down Deuteronomy; but I don't believe that he wrote this:

• 5 So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab , according to the word of the LORD. 6 And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day. 7 And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.
Death Of Moses, Deuteronomy 34 KJV

That doesn't make Deuteronomy spurious IMO.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brother, it depends on whether guided you are by the Holy Spirit's silence on the Sabbath question not to adapt the Saturday-tradition because God wants His people to find the full "truth" about the Sabbath in His word.

Col 2:16 Let no one, then, judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths,
Col 2:17 which are a shadow of the coming things, and the body is of the Christ;

Do you know the difference between a shadow and the real thing?

Joh_20:1 Now the first day of the week Mary Magdalene went to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb.

Joh_20:19 Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, "Peace be with you."

Act_20:7 Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.

1Co_16:2 On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.

==================================

The Letter of Barnabas

Since, therefore, the days are evil, and Satan possesses the power of this world, we ought to give heed to ourselves, and diligently inquire into the ordinances of the Lord. Fear and patience, then, are helpers of our faith; and long-suffering and continence are things which fight on our side. While these remain pure in what respects the Lord, Wisdom, Understanding, Science, and Knowledge rejoice along with them. For He hath revealed to us by all the prophets that He needs neither sacrifices, nor burnt-offerings, nor oblations, saying thus, “What is the multitude of your sacrifices unto Me, saith the Lord? I am full of burnt-offerings, and desire not the fat of lambs, and the blood of bulls and goats, not when ye come to appear before Me: for who hath required these things at your hands? Tread no more My courts, not though ye bring with you fine flour. Incense is a vain abomination unto Me, and your new moons and sabbaths I cannot endure.” He has therefore abolished these things, that the new law of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is without the yoke of necessity, might have a human oblation(The Epistle of Barnabas 1 Chapter II.—The Jewish sacrifices are now abolished.)

Further, He says to them, “Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure.” Ye perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this,] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. And when He had manifested Himself, He ascended into the heavens.(The Epistle of Barnabas Chapter XV.—The false and the true Sabbath. [A.D. 74]).

Ignatius of Antioch

If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s Day, on which also our life has sprung up again by Him and by His death—whom some deny, by which mystery we have obtained faith, and therefore endure, that we may be found the disciples of Jesus Christ, our only Master(Letter to the Magnesians(shorter) Chapter IX.—Let us live with Christ [A.D. 110]).

During the Sabbath He continued under the earth in the tomb in which Joseph of Arimathæa had laid Him. At the dawning of the Lord’s day He arose from the dead, according to what was spoken by Himself, “As Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly, so shall the Son of man also be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.” The day of the preparation, then, comprises the passion; the Sabbath embraces the burial; the Lord’s Day contains the resurrection(The Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians Longer Versions. Chapter IX.—Reference to the history of Christ.)

Justin Martyr

The Lawgiver is present, yet you do not see Him; to the poor the Gospel is preached, the blind see, yet you do not understand. You have now need of a second circumcision, though you glory greatly in the flesh. The new law requires you to keep perpetual sabbath, and you, because you are idle for one day, suppose you are pious, not discerning why this has been commanded you: and if you eat unleavened bread, you say the will of God has been fulfilled. The Lord our God does not take pleasure in such observances: if there is any perjured person or a thief among you, let him cease to be so; if any adulterer, let him repent; then he has kept the sweet and true sabbaths of God. If any one has impure hands, let him wash and be pure.(Dialogue with Trypho the Jew Chapter XII.—The Jews violate the eternal law, and interpret ill that of Moses.)

For we too would observe the fleshly circumcision, and the Sabbaths, and in short all the feasts, if we did not know for what reason they were enjoined you,—namely, on account of your transgressions and the hardness of your hearts. For if we patiently endure all things contrived against us by wicked men and demons, so that even amid cruelties unutterable, death and torments, we pray for mercy to those who inflict such things upon us, and do not wish to give the least retort to any one, even as the new Lawgiver commanded us: how is it, Trypho, that we would not observe those rites which do not harm us, —I speak of fleshly circumcision, and Sabbaths, and feasts?(Dialogue with Trypho the Jew Chapter XVIII.—Christians would observe the law, if they did not know why it was instituted. [A.D. 155]).

And we afterwards continually remind each other of these things. And the wealthy among us help the needy; and we always keep together; and for all things wherewith we are supplied, we bless the Maker of all through His Son Jesus Christ, and through the Holy Ghost. And on the day called Sunday,1 all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration.(First Apology Chapter LXVII.—Weekly worship of the Christians. [A.D. 155]).

“Wherefore, Trypho, I will proclaim to you, and to those who wish to become proselytes, the divine message which I heard from that man. Do you see that the elements are not idle, and keep no Sabbaths? Remain as you were born. For if there was no need of circumcision before Abraham, or of the observance of Sabbaths, of feasts and sacrifices, before Moses; no more need is there of them now, after that, according to the will of God, Jesus Christ the Son of God has been born without sin, of a virgin sprung from the stock of Abraham. For when Abraham himself was in uncircumcision, he was justified and blessed by reason of the faith which he reposed in God, as the Scripture tells. Moreover, the Scriptures and the facts themselves compel us to admit that He received circumcision for a sign, and not for righteousness.(The Second Apology of Justin for the Christians Addressed to the Roman Senate. Chapter XXIII.—The opinion of the Jews regarding the law does an injury to God.)

“As, then, circumcision began with Abraham, and the Sabbath and sacrifices and offerings and feasts with Moses, and it has been proved they were enjoined on account of the hardness of your people’s heart, so it was necessary, in accordance with the Father’s will, that they should have an end in Him who was born of a virgin, of the family of Abraham and tribe of Judah, and of David; in Christ the Son of God, who was proclaimed as about to come to all the world, to be the everlasting law and the everlasting covenant, even as the forementioned prophecies show.(The Second Apology of Justin for the Christians Addressed to the Roman Senate. Chapter XLIII.—He concludes that the law had an end in Christ, who was born of the Virgin.)

Tertullian

“[L]et him who contends that the Sabbath is still to be observed as a balm of salvation, and circumcision on the eighth day . . . teach us that, for the time past, righteous men kept the Sabbath or practiced circumcision, and were thus rendered ‘friends of God.’ For if circumcision purges a man, since God made Adam uncircumcised, why did he not circumcise him, even after his sinning, if circumcision purges? . . . Therefore, since God originated Adam uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, consequently his offspring also, Abel, offering him sacrifices, uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, was by him [God] commended [Gen. 4:1–7, Heb. 11:4]. . . . Noah also, uncircumcised—yes, and unobservant of the Sabbath—God freed from the deluge. For Enoch too, most righteous man, uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, he translated from this world, who did not first taste death in order that, being a candidate for eternal life, he might show us that we also may, without the burden of the law of Moses, please God”(An Answer to the Jews Chapter II.—The Law Anterior to Moses. [A.D. 203]).

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The scrolls of various books of the TaNaK found at Qumran contain variants. Many of the books in the Bible, as well as secular works, were transferred though generations orally. Each person in the village would memorize one segment of the story with great accuracy, so that the village could come together to repeat the story. This is often how stories were preserved in ancient times. Then one day someone would gather the villagers, and write the story down again, even after the original writing may have been lost.

I believe that Moses wrote down Deuteronomy; but I don't believe that he wrote this:

• 5 So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab , according to the word of the LORD. 6 And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day. 7 And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.
Death Of Moses, Deuteronomy 34 KJV

That doesn't make Deuteronomy spurious IMO.

Sure some were held orally but there was written Hebrew at the time. I don't see your Deuteronomy example as being the same as mine regarding Jubilees. But I understand your point...

Upvote 0

guevaraj

an oil seller in the story of the ten virgins
Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟538,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
More detail please...
Brother, Jesus died so we can do the good things He planned for us "long ago", before sin entered the human family.

For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. (Ephesians 2:10 NIV)​

The purpose is given in the previous verse: so that we can do the good things He planned for us "long ago". Long ago, God planned for us the seventh day of creation, before sin entered the human family, to remember His "holy" day. We will remember "the Lord's day" in gratitude for His salvation as the early church in Jerusalem did, before the bishops of Rome legislated the invented human tradition of Sunday to replace God's Sabbath that protestants adapted.

As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,” declares the Lord, “so will your name and descendants endure. From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me,” says the Lord. (Isaiah 66:22-23 NIV)​

United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,544.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We will remember "the Lord's day" in gratitude for His salvation as the early church in Jerusalem did, before the bishops of Rome legislated the invented human tradition of Sunday

This does not line up with the writings of the early church fathers long before Constantine - see Post #508

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

guevaraj

an oil seller in the story of the ten virgins
Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟538,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
This does not line up with the writings of the early church fathers long before Constantine - see Post #508
Brother, in this video, my professor summarizes the conclusion of his study, how he changed the opinion of his own professor who admitted that the change from Sabbath to Sunday was post apostolic. No apostle was responsible for the change.
The predominant academic opinion before the study of my professor was that the Jerusalem church pioneered the abandonment of the Sabbath for Sunday. The reason is that only the apostolic church in Jerusalem could have the authority to make such a change. To counter this assumption, Bacchiocchi discovered that Epiphanius (about 350) tells the story of the direct descendants of the Jerusalem church. Epiphanius informs us that the Nazarenes persisted in the observance of the Sabbath until his own time (about A.D. 350). Bacchiocchi found this document in Greek and Latin. He shared this finding with his professor, who admitted that this was a fatal blow to the thought that the Jerusalem church made the change from Sabbath to Sunday to celebrate the resurection of Jesus. If a direct descendent of the Jerusalem church insisted and persisted in the observance of the Sabbath until the fourth century, then they could hardly have been responsible for changing the Sabbath to Sunday in the first place. His finding definitely showed the Jerusalem church is excluded. In his defense of his dissertation, his professor admitted having changed his mind and acknowledged that Sunday keeping is a post apostolic phenomenon. United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

• Useful
Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Brother, in this video, my professor summarizes the conclusion of his study, how he changed the opinion of his own professor who admitted that the change from Sabbath to Sunday was post apostolic. No apostle was responsible for the change.
The predominant academic opinion before the study of my professor was that the Jerusalem church pioneered the abandonment of the Sabbath for Sunday. The reason is that only the apostolic church in Jerusalem could have the authority to make such a change. To counter this assumption, Bacchiocchi discovered that Epiphanius (about 350) tells the story of the direct descendants of the Jerusalem church. Epiphanius informs us that the Nazarenes persisted in the observance of the Sabbath until his own time (about A.D. 350). Bacchiocchi found this document in Greek and Latin. He shared this finding with his professor, who admitted that this was a fatal blow to the thought that the Jerusalem church made the change from Sabbath to Sunday to celebrate the resurection of Jesus. If a direct descendent of the Jerusalem church insisted and persisted in the observance of the Sabbath until the fourth century, then they could hardly have been responsible for changing the Sabbath to Sunday in the first place. His finding definitely showed the Jerusalem church is excluded. In his defense of his dissertation, his professor admitted having changed his mind and acknowledged that Sunday keeping is a post apostolic phenomenon. United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

I can tell you that the Sabbath was never changed to Sunday in the original Eastern Churches. The Jerusalem Church Bishops were all Jewish (of the circumcision) until 135 AD and the Edict of Hadrian when Greek gentile Bishops had to be installed. After that Sunday likely became predominant but it never became the 7th day Sabbath...

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Mat 22:36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
Mat 22:37 Jesus said to him, 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like it: 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."

(CLV) Ec 1:9
What occurred once, it shall occur again, And what was done, it shall be done again. There is nothing at all new under the sun.

(CLV) Mt 22:36
"Teacher, what is the great precept in the law?"

(CLV) Mt 22:37
Now He averred to him, "You shall be loving the Lord your God with your whole heart, and with your whole soul, and with your whole comprehension.

(CLV) Mt 22:38
This is the great and foremost precept.

(CLV) Mt 22:39
Yet the second is like it: `You shall be loving your associate as yourself.'

(CLV) Mt 22:40
On these two precepts is hanging the whole law and the prophets."

(CLV) Dt 6:5
So you will love YHWH your Elohim with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your intensity.

(CLV) Lv 19:18
You shall not avenge nor shall you be resentful against the sons of your people. You will love your associate as yourself: I am YHWH.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Col 2:16 Let no one, then, judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths,
Col 2:17 which are a shadow of the coming things, and the body is of the Christ;

This thread might help to give you some deeper insight into this verse:

Colossians 2:16

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,544.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do folks not take this seriously from Romans 14...

5 One person values one day over another, another values every day the same. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 The one who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and the one who eats, does so with regard to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and the one who does not eat, it is for the Lord that he does not eat, and he gives thanks to God. 7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; 8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

10 But as for you, why do you judge your brother or sister?

I see no indication that this preference for days is a salvation issue, in fact the author seems to be stating that it isn't one...

Upvote 0