British Columbia
✟1,006,797.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
27Then Jesus said to them, The Sabbath was made to meet the needs of people, and not people to meet the requirements of the Sabbath. 28So the Son of Man is Lord, even over the Sabbath!”

It's great that you posted a verse from Scripture, but what point are you trying to make?

Upvote 0

Marc Munday

May 28, 2021
Melbourne
✟8,009.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's great that you posted a verse from Scripture, but what point are you trying to make?

I didn't know we needed to post a point the scripture speaks for its self doesn't it? and I underlined and put the main in bald writing.

• Agree
Reactions: Navair2
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,006,797.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I didn't know we needed to post a point the scripture speaks for its self doesn't it? and I underlined and put the main in bald writing.

Anybody can look up Scripture and read it for themselves. There's absolutely no point in starting this thread if you don't have something you're trying to say.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Religiot
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
27Then Jesus said to them, The Sabbath was made to meet the needs of people, and not people to meet the requirements of the Sabbath. 28So the Son of Man is Lord, even over the Sabbath!”

That is NOT what it says in Greek...
To Sabbaton dia ton anthropon egeneto, kai ouch ho anthropos dia to Sabbaton.

Reactions: Religiot
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Sabbath was given only to generational Israelites.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Exo 31:16

"Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, H7676 to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

copyChkboxOff.gif

"Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, H7676 to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant."
The Israelites are to observe the sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested. (Exodus 31:16-17)

Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the sabbath day. (Deuteronomy 5:15)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Israelites are to observe the sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested. (Exodus 31:16-17)

Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the sabbath day. (Deuteronomy 5:15)

Who are the generational Israelites today?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Speaking of the Sabbath, this is interesting regarding the resurrection of Jesus.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mar 16:1

And when the sabbath G4521 was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

Mar 16:2
And very early in the morning the first day of the week, G4521 they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Mar 16:9
Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, G4521 he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

Many believe Jesus rose on the weekly Sabbath day, not Sunday. These verses seem to confirm that view. It looks like the translators arbitrarily changed the weekly Sabbath day to the "first day of the week".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But back to the OP. The Sabbath is a day of rest, which many if not most people in the West badly need (it is said that 60 percent of Americans are 'sleep deprived'). As we are free from the ritual requirements of the OT Law we are free to actually rest on that day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Speaking of the Sabbath, this is interesting regarding the resurrection of Jesus.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mar 16:1

And when the sabbath G4521 was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

Mar 16:2

And very early in the morning the first day of the week, G4521 they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Mar 16:9

Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, G4521 he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

Many believe Jesus rose on the weekly Sabbath day, not Sunday. These verses seem to confirm that view. It looks like the translators arbitrarily changed the weekly Sabbath day to the "first day of the week".

Not true at all. It does not say He rose on the Sabbath...

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hmm? I'm curious - what does this say in English?

"and He said to them, the Sabbath on account of the man was made, and not the man on account of the Sabbath" (basically the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the sabbath). Adam (man) was created on the 6th day and the Sabbath on the 7th, so man was created first and the Sabbath after for him.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

copyChkboxOff.gif

It was given to man (Adam in Hebrew) in Genesis, just as Yeshua said it was. It was to be A SIGN of the Mosaic covenant for the Jewish people.

Upvote 0