✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The local church.

The local church provides a place of assembly to the neighboring saints to fellowship, strengthen, and equip them into going out and making disciples of all people. Usually, there is a structure of leadership that would govern certain organized groups to perform a specific mission or provide resources to those inside and outside the church.

That would be the main thing. It does have its second-hand effects, like example being a place that people are able to sharpen their academic skills, or having someone not part of the body get saved, or being part of organizations that are seperate to church to service people, etc. But the main thing is that the local church is there as a place for believers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The following is from the constitution of the PCUSA, dating to the predecessor denomination in 1910:

The great ends of the Church are:
  • the proclamation of the gospel for the salvation of humankind;
  • the shelter, nurture, and spiritual fellowship of the children of God; the maintenance of divine worship;
  • the preservation of the truth;
  • the promotion of social righteousness; and
  • the exhibition of the Kingdom of Heaven to the world
The statement is probably envisioning the Church as a whole, but I think the same thibg applies to individual congregations.

In Protestant tradition, the essential marks of the church (without which a church isn't considered a true church) are the preaching of the Gospel and proper administration of the sacraments. Some people also including maintaining church discipline.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The local church provides a place of assembly to the neighboring saints to fellowship, strengthen, and equip them into going out and making disciples of all people. Usually, there is a structure of leadership that would govern certain organized groups to perform a specific mission or provide resources to those inside and outside the church.
Does the church serve a purpose for those who aren't yet saints?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The following is from the constitution of the PCUSA, dating to the predecessor denomination in 1910:

The great ends of the Church are:
  • the proclamation of the gospel for the salvation of humankind;
  • the shelter, nurture, and spiritual fellowship of the children of God; the maintenance of divine worship;
  • the preservation of the truth;
  • the promotion of social righteousness; and
  • the exhibition of the Kingdom of Heaven to the world
The statement is probably envisioning the Church as a whole, but I think the same thibg applies to individual congregations.

In Protestant tradition, the essential marks of the church (without which a church isn't considered a true church) are the preaching of the Gospel and proper administration of the sacraments. Some people also including maintaining church discipline.
"The preservation of the truth" interests me. Churches seem to have difficulty determining what the truth is.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
"The preservation of the truth" interests me. Churches seem to have difficulty determining what the truth is.
I agree. This problem isn't recent. You can see it in the first centuries of the Church, and there are signs even in the NT.

Reactions: dreadnought
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, in several different ways:
  • Service, which is given to all
  • Witness to the Gospel
  • For those interested in following Jesus, education and support.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, in several different ways:
  • Service, which is given to all
  • Witness to the Gospel
  • For those interested in following Jesus, education and support.
Perhaps the saints set an example for the others.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

For those who are actually seeking to be with those that serve God, the church would serve as a resource and place to potentially fellowship with.

But for those who are not looking for God, the most the church would be able to provide is temporary help through charity. But the existence of the church isn't to convert.

It's great when it happens, it would be a by-product, but not its purpose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
For those who are actually seeking to be with those that serve God, the church would serve as a resource and place to potentially fellowship with.

But for those who are not looking for, the most the church would be able to provide is temporary help through charity. But the existence of the church isn't to convert.

It's great when it happens, it would be a by-product, but not its purpose.
I think those mature in the Lord would set an example for the rest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps no two groups of people would come up with the exact same purpose of the church.
Right, but you'll see a lot of overlap.

I think for Protestants the most basic is preaching the Gospel and administration of the sacraments. The Reformers considered worship not just something we do pragmatically to provide instruction or advice to our members, but a primary duty of mankind.

In my opinion a weakness of these traditional statements is a lack of emphasis on service and living out the life of Christ, and the promotion of the Kingdom of God (which was, after all, Jesus' stated goal). Obviously the Reformers thought that was important, but it didn't make their statements on what defines a true church, except perhaps in the criterion of church discipline.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps no two groups of people would come up with the exact same purpose of the church.
So far, everyone agrees as to the purpose.
The only other reason I can think of is that Jesus wanted to create a better world through our transformation. But this would require the gate to be wide and for many to find it.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Right, but you'll see a lot of overlap.

I think for Protestants the most basic is preaching the Gospel and administration of the sacraments. The Reformers considered worship not just something we do pragmatically to provide instruction or advice to our members, but a primary duty of mankind.

In my opinion a weakness of these traditional statements is a lack of emphasis on service and living out the life of Christ, and the promotion of the Kingdom of God (which was, after all, Jesus' stated goal). Obviously the Reformers thought that was important, but it didn't make their statements on what defines a true church, except perhaps in the criterion of church discipline.
I have learned that repentance transforms a life. I would expect that to be preached from the pulpit. I don't think it is. It makes me wonder what the value is of a sermon. I think the value of the church lies in other areas - fellowship, Sunday school, mission, etc.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I have learned that repentance transforms a life. I would expect that to be preached from the pulpit. I don't think it is. It makes me wonder what the value is of a sermon. I think the value of the church lies in other areas - fellowship, Sunday school, mission, etc.
One reason for variation in the statements is that particular individuals and also cultures are in different situations. The Church may need to emphasize different things in response.

Upvote 0