elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Would you say it is possible to have meaning sometime between now and the few billion years before the sun goes supernova? Even if it is just temporary?

Is it possible for a Christian to find meaning in something that does not include God?

Ken

Sure. We can collect stamps just like everyone.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
✟7,702.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would you say it is possible to have meaning sometime between now and the few billion years before the sun goes supernova? Even if it is just temporary?

Ken

Sure, it is possible, I suppose. Anybody can choose to attach whatever meaning to whatever in their life they wish.

An atheist who enlists in the military during a time of war to serve her/his country, then gets shot on the battlefield and lays there bleeding to death, can take satisfaction in knowing, in the final moments before her/his death, that they did something meaningful for king and country with their life. I don't wish to take that away; such is incredibly noble. (And thank God for those people!!)

The problem, though, is what to make of the seemingly meaningless suffering in the world. Say, a very small Jewish child born during the Holocaust who knew nothing but cruelty and suffering until a young death that seemed to accomplish absolutely nothing whatsoever good in the world. Theistic religion claims to be able to attach meaning to this person's life as well. Their suffering was not in vain because they are to spend eternity in Paradise with God.

This illustrates a little the difference between the eternal vs. temporal "meaning" we're discussing... if that helps clear it up.

Peace

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
ethics relates to the value of being. we are all concerned with it. it is our existential condition.it is constitutive of a meaning pre given for us whether we acknowledge this particular paragraph or not. thats my perspective. it is not that this takes religuous fath to know. inless you need "faith" in existence will intelligence life logic and value.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

renewed21

what are you waiting for?
Apr 5, 2012
at my house
✟6,374.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What does it mean to have purpose/meaning in one's life? Do you feel it is possible to have purpose or meaning in one's life outside religion?

Ken

There is a difference between purpose and true purpose. Anyone can say or find a purpose in life but the question that arises is what is the basis for one's purpose. Does it (purpose) come from oneself? If so, how is it that that person can say that it is a true (universal) purpose?

You have given us an excellent question Ken. Thanks

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sure, it is possible, I suppose. Anybody can choose to attach whatever meaning to whatever in their life they wish.

An atheist who enlists in the military during a time of war to serve her/his country, then gets shot on the battlefield and lays there bleeding to death, can take satisfaction in knowing, in the final moments before her/his death, that they did something meaningful for king and country with their life. I don't wish to take that away; such is incredibly noble. (And thank God for those people!!)

The problem, though, is what to make of the seemingly meaningless suffering in the world. Say, a very small Jewish child born during the Holocaust who knew nothing but cruelty and suffering until a young death that seemed to accomplish absolutely nothing whatsoever good in the world. Theistic religion claims to be able to attach meaning to this person's life as well. Their suffering was not in vain because they are to spend eternity in Paradise with God.

This illustrates a little the difference between the eternal vs. temporal "meaning" we're discussing... if that helps clear it up.

Peace
I don't understand how one can claim a purpose in the example of the suffering child you mentioned. I can understand a belief in a reward after death, but a reward after death doesn't constitute purpose or meaning in life; would you agree?

K
PS Doesn't the bible teach the Holocaust victims are going to hell because they were of the wrong religion? Or am I wrong.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There is a difference between purpose and true purpose. Anyone can say or find a purpose in life but the question that arises is what is the basis for one's purpose. Does it (purpose) come from oneself? If so, how is it that that person can say that it is a true (universal) purpose?

You have given us an excellent question Ken. Thanks
What's the difference between purpose and true/universasl purpose?

Ken

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand how one can claim a purpose in the example of the suffering child you mentioned. I can understand a belief in a reward after death, but a reward after death doesn't constitute purpose or meaning in life; would you agree?

K
PS Doesn't the bible teach the Holocaust victims are going to hell because they were of the wrong religion? Or am I wrong.
You are wrong. I see nothing in the Bible about going to hell for being a Jew. If the reward after death is eternal life, then the purpose of this life is to become a loving being able to related to the Loving Creator forever.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You are wrong. I see nothing in the Bible about going to hell for being a Jew.
How about if you are Hindu? or Muslim? or Atheist? Do these people who don't accept Jesus as their savior get to go to heaven as well?
If the reward after death is eternal life, then the purpose of this life is to become a loving being able to related to the Loving Creator forever.
So you believe what you do in this life will be remembered in your next life in Heaven?

Ken

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I would say temporary purpose and purpose that is not temporary.
So this goes back to what you said before about if you believe life is temporary, your purpose is temporary; if you believe you live forever, your purpose is forever. Right?

Ken

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If purpose in your life means you have an overarching goal that guides everything you do, and the majority of what you do is geared towards accomplishing that goal, is it safe to assume most people don’t have a purpose in life? I mean most people are happy going to work, raising their family, having friends, enjoying weekends and just living a happy life; do you agree?

Ken

Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,962.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If purpose in your life means you have an overarching goal that guides everything you do, and the majority of what you do is geared towards accomplishing that goal, is it safe to assume most people don’t have a purpose in life? I mean most people are happy going to work, raising their family, having friends, enjoying weekends and just living a happy life; do you agree?

Ken
All mature adults have the same objective/purpose, but if a mature adult does not want that lofty obtainable objective/purpose, they sadly take a lower purpose in that they unwittingly help those that still might be willing to fulfill their object fulfill their objective.
God did not promise us a "happy life" in this earthly life, so what makes you think mature adults are "happy" not having a purpose?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
All mature adults have the same objective/purpose,
Everybody on earth has the exact same purpose? And what would that be?
but if a mature adult does not want that lofty obtainable objective/purpose, they sadly take a lower purpose in that they unwittingly help those that still might be willing to fulfill their object fulfill their objective.
Suppose they choose not to help?
God did not promise us a "happy life" in this earthly life, so what makes you think mature adults are "happy" not having a purpose?
Speaking for myself, I’m just happy being me. I don’t need an over-arching goal that I have to build my life around, that guides my life. I am happy being free to do as I choose.
Ken

Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,962.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Everybody on earth has the exact same purpose? And what would that be?
God is not trying to get you to do something, but is trying to give you something.
That “something” is the most powerful force in all universes, since it is the force that compels God to do all He does.
Our “objective” while here on earth is to just humbly accept God’s gift as it was given, as pure charity.
Thus the “objective” is for man to be like God (that is also like Christ), but what God could not do is make a being that already had at its creation “Godly type Love”. If a being was created with love that would be instinctive or robotic type Love and nothing like God’s Love. God also cannot “force” this Love on beings for that would both not be Love and it would not be Loving on God’s part toward the individual.
The easiest way for humans to accept God’s charity (Love) is out of a huge need and that need is the relief from the burden of hurting others in the past (sin). By accepting God’s forgiveness we accept God’s Love (mercy/grace/charity) and thus we will Love much since Jesus has taught us (we also see this in our own lives) “…he that is forgiven much will Love much…”
Once we accept Godly type Love, we can truly Love and have the privilege and honor of Loving God (the forgiver) and others (God’s children) with all our heart, soul, mind, and energy.
Suppose they choose not to help?
Choosing not to help is help, for those that have not chose to accept or reject God's help. These people become part of the huge tragedy in this world that provides the best back drop for others to: see/experience/recieve/give/desire and grow Godly type Love.

Speaking for myself, I’m just happy being me. I don’t need an over-arching goal that I have to build my life around, that guides my life. I am happy being free to do as I choose.
Ken[/quote]
That is your choice and God is not going to make your life while on earth debelitating by making Himself unquestionably known for you. The problem is if we live long enough we will experience tragedies that will draw us to a benevolent creator if we allow these tragedies to do just that.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
God is not trying to get you to do something, but is trying to give you something.
That “something” is the most powerful force in all universes, since it is the force that compels God to do all He does.
Our “objective” while here on earth is to just humbly accept God’s gift as it was given, as pure charity.
Thus the “objective” is for man to be like God (that is also like Christ),
Well since only a small percentage of people actually worship your God that way, would you say most people don’t have a purpose in their lives?
That is your choice and God is not going to make your life while on earth debelitating by making Himself unquestionably known for you.
Why would you assume proof of your God’s existence would harm my life?
The problem is if we live long enough we will experience tragedies that will draw us to a benevolent creator if we allow these tragedies to do just that.
I’ve had plenty of tragedies in my life. My reaction to tragedy is totally different than what you suggest.

Ken

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Choosing not to help is help, for those that have not chose to accept or reject God's help. These people become part of the huge tragedy in this world that provides the best back drop for others to: see/experience/recieve/give/desire and grow Godly type Love.
How about those who chose not to accept God's help and are living a happier and more fulfilling life than those who do accept his help? Aren't they more of a detriment than an asset to the cause?

Ken

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Ken

If you chose to mistreat people or cause them to suffer you are not happy. This is not how happiness is reached in this life. If you want to be happy you are free to chose to be a friend to others and help them when you can as they have need.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
How about if you are Hindu? or Muslim? or Atheist? Do these people who don't accept Jesus as their savior get to go to heaven as well?

So you believe what you do in this life will be remembered in your next life in Heaven?

Ken

I believe God will gift all righteous people(those who try to obey the command to love others) with eternal life--not at all based on correct mental understanding of theological things. Yes I believe we will remember in the next life what happened in this one. I think our memories are a part of who we are. I think there is only one way to accept Jesus--obey His commands to love others. Jesus said it is not the ones who call me Lord, but the ones who do what I command.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,962.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well since only a small percentage of people actually worship your God that way, would you say most people don’t have a purpose in their lives?
If they have no purpose left in their life they will not stay here on earth.

Why would you assume proof of your God’s existence would harm my life?
Most atheists I have talked with have a perceived “moral issue” with the Christian God, so they are glad to believe the Christian God does not exist.

“Proof” of God’s existence does not help the nonbeliever since it just makes them more reliant on their knowledge which can be self center and pride full. Those nonbelievers still willing to a possible accept God need humility to trust in a benevolent creator and not be self reliant.

I’ve had plenty of tragedies in my life. My reaction to tragedy is totally different than what you suggest.
Yes, I realize tragedies can either soften our hearts or harden our hearts. Have you seen it go both ways?

Upvote 0