• A place of torment and suffering.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • A pleasant way station to heaven

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Nothing - it does not exist

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • A place where time is used to determine a Catholic's suffering

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A place where there is no time at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • For Catholics only.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • For Catholics and some "separated brethren"

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • For nobody - it does not exist

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
On the other thread about what Catholics believe about Mary, the conversation drifted, largely as a result of my own involvement, to Purgatory.

This thread is being offered as a better place to discuss the unique doctrine of the Catholic church, known as Purgatory?

What is it? What is it not?

Is it a place of torment and suffering through fire?

Is it like a refreshing shower one anticipates before going to a lovely banquet?

Or, is it something else?

Is Purgatory temporal (entailing specific amounts of time) or non-temporal (entaiing nothing of the dimension of time)?

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I use the word "Purgatory" to describe whatever cleansing process is needed to rid us of the remaining sin that clings to us, to prepare us for heaven. Or, perhaps, the final healing that fixes all the terrible things that are broken in us. CS Lewis writes this description, in Letters to Malcolm:

Our souls demand Purgatory, don't they? Would it not break the heart if God said to us, 'It is true, my son, that your breath smells and your rags drip with mud and slime, but we are charitable here and no one will upbraid you with these things, nor draw away from you. Enter into the joy'? Should we not reply, 'With submission, sir, and if there is no objection, I'd rather be cleaned first.' 'It may hurt, you know' - 'Even so, sir.'
In this view, pain and punishment are irrelevant; cleansing is what's important. (I didn't see this option in your quiz.)

Note that I do not claim to be representing the official Catholic view here. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Thursday
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I use the word "Purgatory" to describe whatever cleansing process is needed to rid us of the remaining sin that clings to us, to prepare us for heaven. Or, perhaps, the final healing that fixes all the terrible things that are broken in us. CS Lewis writes this description, in Letters to Malcolm:

Our souls demand Purgatory, don't they? Would it not break the heart if God said to us, 'It is true, my son, that your breath smells and your rags drip with mud and slime, but we are charitable here and no one will upbraid you with these things, nor draw away from you. Enter into the joy'? Should we not reply, 'With submission, sir, and if there is no objection, I'd rather be cleaned first.' 'It may hurt, you know' - 'Even so, sir.'
In this view, pain and punishment are irrelevant; cleansing is what's important. (I didn't see this option in your quiz.)

Sorry. I tried to cover most of the options in the poll. Thanks for your input. I do find it interesting that some Catholics have come to appreciate C. S. Lewis. I have enjoyed his works, although I differ in some aspects. He was an excellent writer and very thought-provoking.

• Friendly
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The only thing remotely similar to Purgatory that I have ever seen in scripture are the passages regarding final judgment. But as Christians, though we will have to acknowledge the full weight of our sins, we have nothing to fear because we have been covered with the perfect righteousness of Christ.

There is at first the intermediate state when we are separated from our body, aware but noncorporeal, aware of the unmediated presence of God. We remain in this state until the Resurrection at which we will be clothed again in perfected flesh to live in the new earth in all righteousness and blessedness forever.

The following chapter gives a good idea of what awaits us when we pass from this vale of tears.

2 Corinthians 5
For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this tent we groan, longing to put on our heavenly dwelling, if indeed by putting it on we may not be found naked. For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened—not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.

So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The only thing remotely similar to Purgatory that I have ever seen in scripture are the passages regarding final judgment. But as Christians, though we will have to acknowledge the full weight of our sins, we have nothing to fear because we have been covered with the perfect righteousness of Christ.

There is at first the intermediate state when we are separated from our body, aware but noncorporeal, aware of the unmediated presence of God. We remain in this state until the Resurrection at which we will be clothed again in perfected flesh to live in the new earth in all righteousness and blessedness forever.

The following chapter gives a good idea of what awaits us when we pass from this vale of tears.

2 Corinthians 5
For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this tent we groan, longing to put on our heavenly dwelling, if indeed by putting it on we may not be found naked. For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened—not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.

So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Thank for the outstanding reply with solid scriptural support. I am still waiting to hear from a Catholic defender of this doctrine.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I would like to hear a thoughtful Roman Catholic response to the following passages, in addition to the one I posted above, vis-à-vis the doctrine of Purgatory.

Luke 23
One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, “Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!” But the other rebuked him, saying, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Acts 7 (The martyrdom of St. Stephen)
“You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit. As your fathers did, so do you. Which of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? And they killed those who announced beforehand the coming of the Righteous One, whom you have now betrayed and murdered, you who received the law as delivered by angels and did not keep it.”

Now when they heard these things they were enraged, and they ground their teeth at him. But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. And he said, “Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.” But they cried out with a loud voice and stopped their ears and rushed together at him. Then they cast him out of the city and stoned him. And the witnesses laid down their garments at the feet of a young man named Saul. And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” And falling to his knees he cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Revelation 14
And I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.” “Blessed indeed,” says the Spirit, “that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them!”

Matthew 25
“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I would like to hear a thoughtful Roman Catholic response to the following passages, in addition to the one I posted above, vis-à-vis the doctrine of Purgatory.

Luke 23
One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, “Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!” But the other rebuked him, saying, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

“You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit. As your fathers did, so do you. Which of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? And they killed those who announced beforehand the coming of the Righteous One, whom you have now betrayed and murdered, you who received the law as delivered by angels and did not keep it.”

Now when they heard these things they were enraged, and they ground their teeth at him. But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. And he said, “Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.” But they cried out with a loud voice and stopped their ears and rushed together at him. Then they cast him out of the city and stoned him. And the witnesses laid down their garments at the feet of a young man named Saul. And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” And falling to his knees he cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Revelation 14
And I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.” “Blessed indeed,” says the Spirit, “that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them!”

Matthew 25
“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Again, thank you for the excellent passages from the Bible. I also would appreciate a considered reply from a Catholic.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,985.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Isn't Trent awesome:clap:

DECREE CONCERNING PURGATORY

Since the Catholic Church, instructed by the Holy Ghost, has, following the sacred writings and the ancient tradition of the Fathers, taught in sacred councils and very recently in this ecumenical council that there is a purgatory,[1] and that the souls there detained are aided by the suffrages of the faithful and chiefly by the acceptable sacrifice of the altar, the holy council commands the bishops that they strive diligently to the end that the sound doctrine of purgatory, transmitted by the Fathers and sacred councils,[2] be believed and maintained by the faithful of Christ, and be everywhere taught and preached. The more difficult and subtle questions, however, and those that do not make for edification and from which there is for the most part no increase in piety, are to be excluded from popular instructions to uneducated people.[3] Likewise, things that are uncertain or that have the appearance of falsehood they shall not permit to be made known publicly and discussed. But those things that tend to a certain kind of curiosity or superstition, or that savor of filthy lucre, they shall prohibit as scandals and stumbling-blocks to the faithful. The bishops shall see to it that the suffrages of the living, that is, the sacrifice of the mass,[4] prayers, alms and other works of piety which they have been accustomed to perform for the faithful departed, be piously and devoutly discharged in accordance with the laws of the Church, and that whatever is due on their behalf from testamentary bequests or other ways, be discharged by the priests and ministers of the Church and others who are bound to render this service not in a perfunctory manner, but diligently and accurately

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Isn't Trent awesome:clap:

DECREE CONCERNING PURGATORY

Since the Catholic Church, instructed by the Holy Ghost, has, following the sacred writings and the ancient tradition of the Fathers, taught in sacred councils and very recently in this ecumenical council that there is a purgatory,[1] and that the souls there detained are aided by the suffrages of the faithful and chiefly by the acceptable sacrifice of the altar, the holy council commands the bishops that they strive diligently to the end that the sound doctrine of purgatory, transmitted by the Fathers and sacred councils,[2] be believed and maintained by the faithful of Christ, and be everywhere taught and preached. The more difficult and subtle questions, however, and those that do not make for edification and from which there is for the most part no increase in piety, are to be excluded from popular instructions to uneducated people.[3] Likewise, things that are uncertain or that have the appearance of falsehood they shall not permit to be made known publicly and discussed. But those things that tend to a certain kind of curiosity or superstition, or that savor of filthy lucre, they shall prohibit as scandals and stumbling-blocks to the faithful. The bishops shall see to it that the suffrages of the living, that is, the sacrifice of the mass,[4] prayers, alms and other works of piety which they have been accustomed to perform for the faithful departed, be piously and devoutly discharged in accordance with the laws of the Church, and that whatever is due on their behalf from testamentary bequests or other ways, be discharged by the priests and ministers of the Church and others who are bound to render this service not in a perfunctory manner, but diligently and accurately

It's good to see you again CC. Thank you for the post from Trent. As we both know there is a great deal of apparent confusion regarding Purgatory today in the Catholic Church which spills over to non-Catholics such as myself.

I have a request for you. Would you kindly address the scriptures posted by Tangible? It is a very simple matter for non-Catholics such as myself and him to dismiss the proceedings of Trent. It is more difficult for us to disregard what the Bible teaches.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,985.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's good to see you again CC. Thank you for the post from Trent. As we both know there is a great deal of apparent confusion regarding Purgatory today in the Catholic Church which spills over to non-Catholics such as myself.

I have a request for you. Would you kindly address the scriptures posted by Tangible? It is a very simple matter for non-Catholics such as myself and him to dismiss the proceedings of Trent. It is more difficult for us to disregard what the Bible teaches.

Thank you.

Hi bbbbbbb,

I have a request for you. Would you kindly read what Trent and the CCC has to say about Purgatory. These both contain the Church's teaching. I promise that it will not take you long. You can then voice your concerns about what both say about Purgatory.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi bbbbbbb,

I have a request for you. Would you kindly read what Trent and the CCC has to say about Purgatory. These both contain the Church's teaching. I promise that it will not take you long. You can then voice your concerns about what both say about Purgatory.

Actually, I have, and you are quite correct. It did not take long. Therefore, please address the questions I posed in my first post and please address the scriptures posted by Tangible.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,985.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, I have, and you are quite correct. It did not take long. Therefore, please address the questions I posed in my first post and please address the scriptures posted by Tangible.

Thank you.

Great then. So what specifically did you read from Trent or the CCC that you take issue with?

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The choices in your poll suggest you haven't read either Trent or the CCC. If you have, I have only to conclude a more disingenuous motive.

I recommend that you read the exchange of posts on the thread - Catholics - What do you believe about Mary? I know that you were not active on that thread, but other Catholics are quite active in their posting and they posted various allegations concerning Purgatory which, rather than derail that thread, I decided to begin this thread. I am disappointed that none of them have seen fit to carry on the discussion on this thread. Perhaps you might be able to encourage them to do so.

My impression is that, unlike ourselves, some or all of these posters are unfamiliar with either Trent or the CCC. It is my hope that not only will they become well-versed on this doctrine from these documents, but they, as well as yourself, may be able to address the serious scriptural issues, specifically those raised by Tangible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Great then. So what specifically did you read from Trent or the CCC that you take issue with?

First, what is Purgatory? Trent merely states emphatically that Purgatory exists, but is exceedingly vague, as is the CCC, in defining what it is and what it is not. That has left the door wide open, IMO, for popular contemporary Catholic views of the pleasantness of Purgatory.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Purgatory, as we all know, is a Late Medieval invention that was taught in a certain way for about 500 years. Lately, it's been reconsidered by the Roman Catholic Church. So we have the original teaching that supposedly was infallible because the Magisterium agreed upon it--a sort of temporary Hell that everyone who is saved will pass through to "pay" for all minor sins and, also, mortal sins already forgiven--and we also have the revised but unofficial one which is a vaguely defined transitional period or state that's more like an orientation session prior to one's entrance into Heaven. It's been described as the "Celestial Showerbath" (or washroom) by some.

The problem (if that's what it should be called) is that all discussions of this sort founder on the fact that there are two views of Purgatory--the standard one and the whitewashed version that's recently only been created because there aren't many Catholics any longer who will believe in the standard and historic Purgatory.

I think, in addition, that the standard definition may be seen by the church as inhibiting its efforts at outreach, ecumenical relationships, and "come home" campaigns. This probably is enough in itself to justify ditching Purgatory like Limbo was ditched before.

• Agree
Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Our souls deserved hell not purgatory and were in need of salvation. When Jesus paid the price on the cross for the sins of the world he said, "it is finished" the veil to the holy of hollies was torn in two from top to bottom exposing the most holy place to all. Of course we need to go through a transformation to stand before God as we certainly are not worthy. Jesus spoke of a person needing to be born of the Spirit. Through faith one is born of God and then possesses both the nature of God and the nature of man through Adam. At death the nature of Adam is left behind and only the nature of Christ is raised up.
The sufficiency of Christ to present us before the Father is all and total. In the scriptures this is made clear that this process is instantaneous. 1 Thes 4 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

i cor 15
0 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”
55 “O Death, where is your sting?
O Hades, where
is your victory?”
56 The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

jude
Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling,
And to present you faultless
Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,
25 To God our Savior.
Who alone is wise,
Be glory and majesty,
Dominion and power,
Both now and forever.
Amen.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Sorry. I tried to cover most of the options in the poll. Thanks for your input. I do find it interesting that some Catholics have come to appreciate C. S. Lewis. I have enjoyed his works, although I differ in some aspects. He was an excellent writer and very thought-provoking.
Lewis also believed in purgatory. It is not a uniquely Catholic doctrine, as you state, although Protestants reject it by and large.

Your thread does seem a bit disingenuous, because we provided you with the Catechism's teaching on purgatory several times in the other thread, and here you present not a single option among your poll options that is even close to what the Catechism teaches.

You do not seem to want to have an honest discussion, so I am not sure why you should expect any of us to be bothered with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged

Luke 23

For the sake of argument, let's assume that the thief on the cross and St. Stephen went straight to heaven. That is perfectly reconciled with the Catholic teaching on purgatory, because the Catholic Church does not teach that every person goes through purgatory after death.

Revelation 14
Some of them rest without having to go through purgatory, some of them rest after going though purgatory. Problem solved.

Matthew 25

Some of the sheep will enter the Kingdom without going through purgatory, and some of the sheep will enter the Kingdom after going through purgatory.

Do you really think that you are going to find some Bible verse that will disprove purgatory, when it has been 500 years since the Reformation and all attempts to do so have already failed?

Upvote 0