Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
YOU ARE IN THE SEMPER REFORMANDA FORUM

Roman Catholic apologists often appeal to church history to support Catholic teaching concerning purgatory. Many Protestants are less familiar with church history on this question, and tend to focus on making biblical arguments. In this video I offer an overview of a Protestant perspective on purgatory, putting special focus on the development of this doctrine throughout church history. Truth Unites is a mixture of apologetics and theology, with an irenic focus. Gavin Ortlund (PhD, Fuller Theological Seminary) serves as senior pastor of First Baptist Church of Ojai.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
About the claim that all through church history ones have believed in purgatory >

Jesus says many will be deceived. There have been wrong ideas and wrong people, all through church history. There has been false church and real church. So, what ones have believed in itself does not mean anything.

At 1:06 on the first video he talks about when a person is purified. He says ones claim that upon seeing Jesus in Heaven, ones become purified. But others . . . Catholics . . . believe there is torment process in Purgatory, in order to purify a person.

But Hebrews 12:4-14 to me means God is able now to change us so we are like and love like Jesus. And then at death we reap this > Galatians 6:7-8.

We don't become purified only after we die, but we reap how we have become by the time we die . . . I understand.

Because now is our time when God is able. It is not about how we ourselves are able.

So, Purgatory teaching can be a form of procrastination against seeking our Father now to correct us into the image of Jesus.

Plus, there can be Protestants who are putting off how now God is able to correct us. If ones say they can not be the right way until after they die, this could be a way also of procrastinating.

And therefore both sides of the arguing might be wrong!

There are ones claiming they are guaranteed "Heaven", but they do not emphasize how Hebrews 12:4-14 guarantees that God corrects His children now. They use the Bible to back a Heaven guarantee, but they do not use the Bible to support how God is now guaranteed to correct us and therefore we are wise to actively seek our Father for this correction now.

And we ourselves are told to pray "for all the saints" > Ephesians 6:18. So, I see from this how any child of God can and is commanded to pray for whoever God knows is a real saint. And I see how this would mean for us to pray for one another to get the correction which Hebrews 12:4-14 means God alone is able to do in or character . . . now . . . not after we die.

Die to self now. Our physical bodies are not greater than God, to be able to stop Him.

And Philippians 2:13-16 shows what God expects us to do . . . now . . . so that "in the midst of" this evil world's "crooked and perverse generation" we become "blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation" . . . not after we die, but right in this evil world. So, it is wise to do this, and not disobey this by not doing this.

This, I see, is included in our ongoing process of purification, right now. We stop whatever in us can get us to argue and complain, and in this process our character changes into how Jesus' love is in our character. We do not only change our outward acting, but in us we discover how our Father proves Himself and shares with us how He loves in His holy way.

And this is commanded, not to procrastinate to some future "Purgatory". This is for every child of God > Hebrews 12:8.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0