Newcastle, UK
✟22,308.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7287984.stm

What do we think? Is this a good idea?

Personally I can't see the kids taking to it. There certainly weren't many royalists in my school. Maybe it'll become just another thing the kids do and promptly forget about.

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Scotland have already dismissed the idea, Catholics are up in arms about it and republicans are choking on their Alpen right about now....

It's just another silly idea created by people who clearly have too much time on their hands. It may work in the States, but people over here are far more tribal and divided than people in say.........Texas

Not good.....

Upvote 0

stealingheaven

Senior Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Birmingham
✟4,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the above post by non-religious, we're too divided, I don't feel we're a united country and doubt it would work, and like a news reporter said, lets start teaching the kids British history so they have an understanding of where they come from before they start pledging an allegiance to something they don't really understand.

Upvote 0

Martin^^

Feb 11, 2005
Scotland
✟8,860.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
It is a nonsensical suggestion. We live in an era of modern transport and higher levels of migration than ever before. This means that nation states are no longer comprised of homogeneous groups of people with common cultural backgrounds. Nearly all western nations have become melting pots, integrating citizens of many cultures.
The idea of pledging allegiance to Her Majesty is exactly what I would expect from one of her Lords, leading a privileged existence remote from the real lives of most people.
The challenge we have is to understand and respect the range of beliefs and cultures who share this island. This is not advanced by pledging allegiance to symbols whose significance is rooted in a Britain which no longer exists.
The Union flag was born of an unholy political deal struck between feudal lords in a time when ordinary people were no better than slaves. Our 'House of Windsor' is a crude reinvention of a Germanic aristocratic dynasty who had to be rebranded as English after that unfortunate Great War tarnished their image.
I consider myself British, but I do not identify with the sentimental, jingoistic rubbish which passes for 'Britishness'. The Britain I live in is composed of many colours and creeds and is not represented adequately by the relics of an imperial past which was oppressive and brutal for most of it's citizens.
Maybe its time there WAS some Black in the Union Jack...

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[Martin^^]It is a nonsensical suggestion. We live in an era of modern transport and higher levels of migration than ever before. This means that nation states are no longer comprised of homogeneous groups of people with common cultural backgrounds. Nearly all western nations have become melting pots, integrating citizens of many cultures.
The idea of pledging allegiance to Her Majesty is exactly what I would expect from one of her Lords, leading a privileged existence remote from the real lives of most people.
The challenge we have is to understand and respect the range of beliefs and cultures who share this island. This is not advanced by pledging allegiance to symbols whose significance is rooted in a Britain which no longer exists.
The Union flag was born of an unholy political deal struck between feudal lords in a time when ordinary people were no better than slaves. Our 'House of Windsor' is a crude reinvention of a Germanic aristocratic dynasty who had to be rebranded as English after that unfortunate Great War tarnished their image.
I consider myself British, but I do not identify with the sentimental, jingoistic rubbish which passes for 'Britishness'. The Britain I live in is composed of many colours and creeds and is not represented adequately by the relics of an imperial past which was oppressive and brutal for most of it's citizens.
Maybe its time there WAS some Black in the Union Jack...

Excellent points :)

Upvote 0

InnocentOdion

Seeker
Feb 2, 2006
✟11,136.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Married
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7287984.stm

What do we think? Is this a good idea?

Personally I can't see the kids taking to it. There certainly weren't many royalists in my school. Maybe it'll become just another thing the kids do and promptly forget about.
It's good intentions, but a stupid idea, I think. :D
I agree with non-religious, it might work in the states, but not here.

If it did happen, those who did recite it (who didn't refuse) would probably just recite it without even thinking about it, with it meaning nothing to them. Same as the Lord's prayer in schools (which I think should be kept and more encouraged though), many kids would recite it, but their parents didn't believe so they didn't actually understand what it was they were reciting. And I went to a CoE school.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
i have no objections to people taking oaths, so long as they fulfil them....

however in respect to children swearing oaths of allegiance, i have a major issue.

first children are not allowed to take jury duty until 18which is the age of majority. This same oath taking principle should apply to schoolchildren.

also, as believers, our kingdom is not of this world, and if push comes to shove and we have to decide between which kingdom we wish to follow, we should not expect less from our children.

Upvote 0