Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The publisher gets to decide who they work with so it's not really your call.

The mini series just shined a light on what happened recently, the facts of the case have not changed since the central park five were exonerated.

I don't believe I made any calls. However, if I thought that a publisher had acted poorly I see no reason why I could not say so. Are you of the mind that publishers should never be criticized for their decisions? Again, I am not criticizing the publisher now as I am uninformed on the matter , I am only hoping that a miniseries is not the sole source for people's opinions on this. Mini series and any entertainment media based upon real life are not necessarily reliable sources and are often slanted toward a POV by the writers and director. That being said, if the facts of the case show that the woman in question is of questionable character and manufactured evidence then the quality or biases of any miniseries is irrelevant. That does still bring into question whether a novelist should be punished by a publisher due to her lack of good character traits causing damage as a prosecutor in a previous career. As you point out it is not my decision but I still have the right to express an opinion on the subject whether I agreed with the publisher's decision or not. Were I a publisher, I would be inclined to publish any novel I considered to be worth publishing no matter how distasteful I found the author's personal moral character. That seems to me to have been the general attitude of the publishing industry in the past as many a writer of low moral character has had their works published.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Arguing about a subject you claim you have no knowledge of is not a good look. "I don't know the story, but I want to say what happened to the person that perpetuated a racist system is wrong," is a completely ignorant reply in the truest sense of the word; you know nothing of the case, but are leaning toward the perpetrators being wronged.

Where did you get that idea. Certainly not from anything I wrote. If you can find a quote from me that remotely backs up your take that I would love to see it. There is nothing in my post about anyone being wronged only a caveat about taking miniseries as factual. My sole purpose for entering this thread was seeing so many people referencing a miniseries and from past experience( i.e. something am not ignorant of) I wanted people to be skeptical of the idea that a miniseries can be taken seriously as a completely true representation of facts. If you take issue with that idea then go ahead and argue that a miniseries or any entertainment product based on actual events is unquestionably a factual representation.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another layer of mayonnaise to the record of Linda “Don’t Play Fair”-stein.

It also shows who she's friends with and/or works for/with, this should make some races hesitant to vote for certain politicians if this knowledge was widespread.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe I made any calls. However, if I thought that a publisher had acted poorly I see no reason why I could not say so. Are you of the mind that publishers should never be criticized for their decisions? Again, I am not criticizing the publisher now as I am uninformed on the matter , I am only hoping that a miniseries is not the sole source for people's opinions on this. Mini series and any entertainment media based upon real life are not necessarily reliable sources and are often slanted toward a POV by the writers and director. That being said, if the facts of the case show that the woman in question is of questionable character and manufactured evidence then the quality or biases of any miniseries is irrelevant. That does still bring into question whether a novelist should be punished by a publisher due to her lack of good character traits causing damage as a prosecutor in a previous career. As you point out it is not my decision but I still have the right to express an opinion on the subject whether I agreed with the publisher's decision or not. Were I a publisher, I would be inclined to publish any novel I considered to be worth publishing no matter how distasteful I found the author's personal moral character. That seems to me to have been the general attitude of the publishing industry in the past as many a writer of low moral character has had their works published.

It's the publisher's call on who they work with. Feel free to criticize anything you like.

You can be fired for bad publicity. Happens all the time.

Upvote 0