Psychiatry and Orthodoxy: Nope Homosexuality is not normal

T

Thekla

"When Rio and Ray married in 2008, the Bay Area women omitted two words from their wedding vows: fidelity and monogamy.

“I take it as a gift that someone will be that open and honest and sharing with me,” said Rio, using the word “open” to describe their marriage.

Love brought the middle-age couple together — they wed during California’s brief legal window for same-sex marriage. But they knew from the beginning that their bond would be forged on their own terms, including what they call “play” with other women."

Article continues here: Many Successful Gay Marriages Share an Open Secret - NYTimes.com

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I've encountered straight people who have an "open marriage" or who are polyamourous or something. What a sham. There is no point in marrying if you are only going to commit adultery. It isn't even a real commitment since one or both parties take on other lovers on a regular basis.

In days like these, "marriage" seems to be whatever you want it to be. It really makes me sad.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0
T

Thekla

I've encountered straight people who have an "open marriage" or who are polyamourous or something. What a sham. There is no point in marrying if you are only going to commit adultery. It isn't even a real commitment since one or both parties take on other lovers on a regular basis.

In days like these, "marriage" seems to be whatever you want it to be. It really makes me sad.

I agree ...

Upvote 0

Gregorios

Blessed is our God
Mar 1, 2011
West Virginia
Visit site
✟9,342.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can call myself a car (and during drinking perhaps I have) but does that make me a car? No. Some things are objectively real and others are not. Marriage is an objective reality, it is a Sacrament, and just because someone labels something as Marriage, does not make it so.

Upvote 0

TheCunctator

Dio, abbi pietà su questa anima miserabile!
Dec 8, 2009
✟16,399.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Not only that, but that they can't change. This is the crux of the issue. If we are told we are fine the way we are in whatever sins we struggle with because these people don't believe sin is real or what have you (yes, I know people - friends even - who do not believe there is such thing as sin), then the deception of the evil one has won, and the person is vulnerable because they are then living and immersed in their sins without knowing it is not what we are called to do in this life. Hope that makes sense. This is what I've been seeing about this issue in the OP - the whole topic. I do believe that through Christ God, anybody can change their lives.

Oh I hope I haven't implied that I see homosexuality as some easily reversible condition. I've seen enough Christians who struggle heavily with it, and it brings a tear to my eye to witness it.

The difference is one therapist telling you it is completely "normal" to behave in such manner and the opposite is to tell you is NOT and you should try to live a happy life based on what truly makes one happy. And how can anyone be happy away from God? *sigh* Pretty much it is like telling someone compulsive that it is ok to be washing their hands 100 times a day...Maybe I am off to say this but that is what I get from this as I admit I am no expert...

It is essentially analogous to a person who is suffering from a severe injury. He is afraid of the hospital, and of the doctor, so instead of going there, he prefers to stock up on pain killers. It might seem to do the trick, but in reality, the injury is festering and growing worse underneath, and only a doctor can save you from getting infected and/or your situation deteriorating further. You might delude yourself into thinking that you're better, but the reality is otherwise.

That's just dumb. I don't know how people can find any fulfillment in that. It doesn't seem like a real relationship at all.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I can call myself a car (and during drinking perhaps I have) but does that make me a car? No. Some things are objectively real and others are not. Marriage is an objective reality, it is a Sacrament, and just because someone labels something as Marriage, does not make it so.

Yep, and that's why I put marriage in quotes. I just hate to see the name "marriage" get dragged through the mud as people try to have their own lifestyles awarded "marriage" status. It has lost its religious significance in the secular world, so people think civil union = marriage. No one has a concept of mysticism, beauty, or a journey toward God anymore. Everything is relative and disposable if it is deemed incompatible with today's world.

Meanwhile, the last few ancient Christian communities still cling to its sanctity, but our voices are lost among the din.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,592.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One thought that may be difficult for younger folk to grasp - these people deliberately introduce language changes to ease the promotion of their godless 'way of life'.

I strongly advise people to become aware of this, to see it for the manipulation it is, and to reject it. Just ask when the word was coined and then think like an Orthodox Christian. If it ain't hundreds of years old, you ought to be suspicious.

For example, "polyamory". The word is little more than ten years old, yet now everyone, under the influence of our manipulative media, is repeating that euphemism which makes polygamy "OK". It's as if everyone forgot that the correct word is "polygamy". The same thing goes for "heterosexual" and much of the modern language dealing with these ideas. To paraphrase G.K.Chesterton, I prefer the coarse language of our forefathers, which at least held the ideas behind the words in their rightful place.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

One thought that may be difficult for younger folk to grasp - these people deliberately introduce language changes to ease the promotion of their godless 'way of life'.

I strongly advise people to become aware of this, to see it for the manipulation it is, and to reject it. Just ask when the word was coined and then think like an Orthodox Christian. If it ain't hundreds of years old, you ought to be suspicious.

For example, "polyamory". The word is little more than ten years old, yet now everyone, under the influence of our manipulative media, is repeating that euphemism which makes polygamy "OK". It's as if everyone forgot that the correct word is "polygamy". The same thing goes for "heterosexual" and much of the modern language dealing with these ideas. To paraphrase G.K.Chesterton, I prefer the coarse language of our forefathers, which at least held the ideas behind the words in their rightful place.

Agreed :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheCunctator

Dec 8, 2009
✟16,399.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Hahaha I'm always suspicious of anything that seems new. That's just how I roll. :cool:

I know exactly what you're talking about. I see it all the time as a college student.

I've seen the shifting languages from global warming to climate change to climate chaos and now climate disruption (whatever that is).

Job applications no longer have "race" but they ask for your "diversity." What is your diversity?

The most disturbing thing of it all is that these people have so much power and influence that they make us think we are in the minority. Yet, we are not.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Hahaha I'm always suspicious of anything that seems new. That's just how I roll. :cool:

I know exactly what you're talking about. I see it all the time as a college student.

I've seen the shifting languages from global warming to climate change to climate chaos and now climate disruption (whatever that is).

Job applications no longer have "race" but they ask for your "diversity." What is your diversity?

The most disturbing thing of it all is that these people have so much power and influence that they make us think we are in the minority. Yet, we are not.

How can that even be used in a coherent sentence :confused:

Too much !

Upvote 0

TheCunctator

Dec 8, 2009
✟16,399.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Yeah, what is wrong with the words "man" and woman"??? It's all "male" and "female" as in "the male/female was walking down the road." I find it so annoying!

Because, apparently, there is no such thing as men and women. They are social constructs designed to keep women oppressed.

I kid you not. The differences between men and women are alleged to be simply social constructs.

Upvote 0

ajunkyarddog

Apr 17, 2011
Florida
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Because, apparently, there is no such thing as men and women. They are social constructs designed to keep women oppressed.

I kid you not. The differences between men and women are alleged to be simply social constructs.

Yeeeep. Did you hear about the "genderless" preschool in Sweden? They will not use the terms "him" or "her" and let the kids "make their own decisions" without societal swaying. Also they don't have any books on heterosexual married couples. The books are all on single mothers and same sex couples.
And this is "progressive".

Upvote 0