London
✟18,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would like to go to a Awooaska retreat in Peru where you mediate and take psychedelics. I have read online and seen documentaries where people have gone to these retreat and have been able to cure addicition after one session and truly live a happy life, however.. I would like to know what are everyones thoughts on taking natural drugs and if it is referenced anywhere in the Bible. As I have mentioned before, I sometimes struggle with depression and anxiety and believe that perhaps this trip will perhaps provide some insight and aid me in changing my life around and help me lead a happier and healthier life.

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Bible talks about being sober (Titus 2:6-12, 1 Peter 1:13, 1 Peter 5:8). As someone who has done those things in the past, I implore you not to let the devil deceive you into thinking that taking something which causes you to go outside the realm of sobriety is necessary (which in turn weakens your spirit, and darkens your heart due to said weakness). I highly suggest that, instead of going to a far off place to take substances that keep you from girding up the loins of your mind, go instead to the Word of God and meditate upon it (Joshua 1:8) and put on the helmet of salvation, the breastplate of righteousness, and equip yourself with the sword of the Spirit (Ephesians 6:17).

Surely, you won't find satisfaction by doing that because it cannot provide you the answers you seek. Not only does the Bible warn against the effects of not being sober, but finding answers in the world will give you nothing but emptiness and more questions.

I hope this helps, my friend.

Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟262,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would like to go to a Awooaska retreat in Peru where you mediate and take psychedelics. I have read online and seen documentaries where people have gone to these retreat and have been able to cure addicition after one session and truly live a happy life, however.. I would like to know what are everyones thoughts on taking natural drugs and if it is referenced anywhere in the Bible. As I have mentioned before, I sometimes struggle with depression and anxiety and believe that perhaps this trip will perhaps provide some insight and aid me in changing my life around and help me lead a happier and healthier life.

When you ask God this question, do you get a red or green flag in your innermost being.

In Christ, Not me

Upvote 0

Innerfire89

Jul 17, 2017
Newton
✟13,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's interesting to know that when the Bible mentions sorcery that sorcery is the use of drugs to make a person open to spirits. In Greek the word sorcery is pharmacia (or something like that) which is where we get our English word pharmacy from.
And the Bible is pretty clear on sobriety. Alcohol is natural too, but drunkenness is a sin. All sorts of deadly plants and mushrooms are of course natural.

As someone who's used drugs in the past and has seen what they do to other people and have had problems with anxiety, I can tell you that drugs will do nothing but make your head a mess, perhaps permanently. Even that one trip can make you a burn out. And it drugs only give a tempory fix to anxiety, when you try to function without the drugs the anxiety is even worse than what you started out with.

Find your peace in Christ and his word.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
You didn't make yourself absolutely clear, but I suspect you are referring to psychedelic drugs such as LSD. It would be a huge mistake on your part to do this. You use the phrase "natural drugs." Well, the word "natural" can be used to apply to anything, including every sin ever devised by Satan. And you certainly aren't going to gain insight using drugs. And likely your depression will become more severe.

Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would like to go to a Awooaska retreat in Peru where you mediate and take psychedelics.

I've heard that this maybe helpful
for a (few)?

And yet could cause (irreversible damage) to others?

Truly, a roulette wheel.

Man has been known to take chances.

And sometimes they add to the wreckage of his past.

M-Bob

• Agree
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Two answers.

I have come to realize that some people do in fact have literal chemical imbalances in their bodies, that cause them to have mental problems.

At the same time, the solution to that is not to go blow your mind up with crazy drugs. I would go to a doctor, have yourself tested for chemical imbalances, and see if there is a medically sound solution to that problem.

Generally, I have not found any people anywhere, that started taking psychedelics, and had a positive long term result from it. And I certainly have yet to find a single real Christian, that claims that psychedelics was their solution.

To clarify.... I have had people who said they were christian, and had some sort of christian experience from doing X,Y, and Z.

But, their lives were train wrecks. I had this one lady, that claimed over and over she had personal talks with G-d himself. But her life, was a total disaster. It just was. She was always broke, always in drama, always having problems. Not one thing about the way she lived, suggested she was walking in victory with the Lord Jesus Christ.

All the people who lived a life, that looked like Victory in Jesus, not one said their big step forward was from taking a drugs, and meditating.

So, just based on my personal experience of seeing the lives of people who claim to have needed meditation and drugs, verse the lives of people who didn't.... I have come to conclusions that meditation and drugs are not the solution.

Just my experience.... I can't go based on stuff I haven't seen, or people I haven't met.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LucyFlora

Mar 30, 2018
London
✟7,929.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where in the bible does it say taking mind-altering drugs is ok?

We can use natural drugs for healing. Sometimes the active ingredients are refined into medicinal products, which is probably ok as well.

The bible doesn't forbid alcohol but it does forbid drunkeness.

I'm pretty sure that applies to being out of your face on mind-altering drugs.

Just ask yourself what Jesus would have done?

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,486.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, heck, it's only
Well, heck, it's only your brain you're messing with. And your soul. So they told you wonderful things happen when you go on their retreat, huh? Ya think they are going to tell you about the people who had awful experiences and ruined their lives? Probably not.

I would recommend looking into essential oils. They are not mumbo jumbo but well resesarched. They are not at all expensive and they don't have side effects. Y'lang y'lang and Lavender are especially good for depression. You can find out all about them online, with lots of vids on YT. You might be surprised. I pray you shun that retreat and protect you brain and your soul and get healing for your depression in whatever way your Heavenly Father knows is best. Drugs ain't the answer but a trap.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Question: "What does the Bible say about doing drugs?"

Answer:
The Bible does not directly address any form of illicit drug use. There are no express prohibitions against cocaine, heroin, ecstasy (MDMA), or methamphetamines (Meth). There is no mention of marijuana, cannabis, peyote, magic mushrooms, or acid (LSD). Nothing is said about huffing, snorting, dropping, smoking, vaping, shooting, licking, or any other method of ingestion. This is not to say, however, that recreational drug use is permissible. On the contrary, there are several very clear biblical principles that place drug use well outside the realm of acceptable behavior.

To begin with, Christians are under a universal mandate to respect and obey the laws of the land (Ecclesiastes 8:2-5; Matthew 22:21; 23:2-3; Romans 13:1-7; Titus 3:1; 1 Peter 2:13-17). The ONLY instance in which we are allowed to disobey the laws of the land is when the laws violate any divine imperatives (Daniel 3 and 6; Acts 5:29). There are no other exceptions to this rule. Contrary to popular belief, simply disagreeing with a law does not constitute a license for breaking that law.

Many have argued that marijuana does not warrant prohibition. They contend that smoking pot in defiance of the law is justifiable on these grounds and in light of (what they perceive to be) the hypocrisy of outlawing weed while allowing nicotine and alcohol consumption. Those who argue this point may be sincere in their conviction, but they are mistaken nonetheless. Heartfelt disdain for the law does not justify impunity towards it, as our Lord Himself made clear. While rebuking the Pharisees for turning the Law of Moses into an excessively oppressive yoke, Christ still required His disciples to submit to their unfairly harsh demands (Matthew 23:1-36, especially 1-4). Dutiful submission to authority and patient perseverance through unjust suffering and/or perceived unfairness (1 Peter 2:18-23) is God's high standard for us, even if that means having to abstain from marijuana in compliance with "unfair" legislation.

Not only are we to submit to authority for submission's sake, born-again Christians are further constrained by a mandate to live above reproach for the sake of the Gospel (1 Corinthians 10:32; 2 Corinthians 4:2; 6:3; Titus 2:1-8; 2 Peter 3:14). Needless to say, criminality is highly reproachable.

Obviously, this first principle does not impact drug users living in nations like the Netherlands where recreational drug use is legal and permissible. There are, however, more universally applicable principles. For example, Christians are all required to be good stewards of what God has entrusted to us, regardless of our national identity (Matthew 25:14-30). This includes our earthly bodies. Unfortunately, illicit drug use is an extremely effective way to destroy your health, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well.

As Dr. Alan Leshner, Director of the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) explains, "The most immediate, extensive, and long-lasting problems caused by drug abuse, both for individuals and for society, are often medical in nature. For example, known drug-abuse-related health problems and resulting lost productivity alone cost our society more than $33 billion each year. Illicit drugs directly cause many medical problems. Stimulants such as cocaine and methamphetamine increase the heart rate while constricting the blood vessels. In susceptible individuals, these two actions together set the stage for cardiac arrhythmias and strokes. The club drug methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, also called "ecstasy"), which many users mistakenly believe to be safe, has caused malignant hyperthermia, permanent kidney damage, and death. MDMA also damages serotonin nerve fibers in the brain. Heroin can cause a life-threatening kidney condition called focal glomerulosclerosis. The list continues: NIDA research has shown that almost every drug of abuse harms some tissue or organ." (Addressing the Medical Consequences of Drug Abuse, NIDA Notes, Vol. 15, No. 1, March 2000; available to be read online at http://www.nida.nih.gov/NIDA_notes/NNVol15N1/DirRepVol15N1.html)

Marijuana, while being the least harmful of all of the illicit drugs, is still potentially lethal. Marijuana enthusiasts ("potheads") take comfort in the fact that, unlike most other illicit drugs, it is seemingly impossible to fatally overdose on weed by means of normal consumption (i.e. smoking it). But this does nothing to diminish the potentially fatal risks of lung cancer, emphysema, and other forms of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) caused by marijuana smoke. While marijuana can be ingested without smoking it, thereby eliminating these risks, there still remain negative physiological and psychological consequences including damage to the reproductive system, the immune system, and cognitive ability.

Beyond stewardship, as Christians, our bodies are not our own. We "have been bought with a price" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20), not "with perishable things like silver or gold . . . but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ" (1 Peter 1:17-19). Having bought us with His own life, Christ has delighted to create in us something entirely new, something somewhat bizarre. By indwelling us with His Spirit, He has turned us into organic temples of sorts. So now, caring for our health is not just a matter of good stewardship. It is a matter of reverential piety. This is both wondrous and terrifying.

Another biblical principle concerns our susceptibility to deception. As fallible creatures we are prone to delusion. And since we are the objects of God's intense affection, His enemies are our enemies. This includes THE enemy, the Devil, the father of lies (John 8:44), a most formidable and determined adversary. All of the apostolic exhortations to remain sober-minded and alert (1 Corinthians 15:34; 1 Thessalonians 5:4-8; 2 Timothy 4:5; 1 Peter 1:13; 4:7; 5:8) are designed to remind us that we must be vigilant against the wiles of the Devil (1 Peter 5:8), who seeks to ensnare us through deception. Sobriety is also important for prayer (1 Peter 4:7), as is obedience to God (Isaiah 1:10-17).

As for drug addiction, not all illicit drugs are physically addictive. Nevertheless, they are all psychologically addictive. While most people are familiar with physical addiction, whereby the body becomes physically dependent upon a substance in order to be able to function properly, psychological addiction is less well-known. Psychological addiction is an enslavement of the mind, often characterized by obsessive tendencies and a lack of desire to quit. While physical addiction brings the body into subjection, psychological addiction brings the will into submission. Users tend to say things like, "I could quit if I wanted to, but I just don't want to." This attitude tends to ensure a long-term pattern of drug use whereby users become devotees in defiance of a very poignant biblical principle. The fact is, no one can wholeheartedly serve two masters (Matthew 6:24; Luke 16:13). Any time spent kneeling before the god of drugs is time spent with your back towards the God of the Bible.

In summary, the Bible teaches us that "denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present world" (Titus 2:12).

www.gotquestions.org/sin-drugs.html

Upvote 0

Innerfire89

Jul 17, 2017
Newton
✟13,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Question: "What does the Bible say about doing drugs?"

Answer:
The Bible does not directly address any form of illicit drug use. There are no express prohibitions against cocaine, heroin, ecstasy (MDMA), or methamphetamines (Meth). There is no mention of marijuana, cannabis, peyote, magic mushrooms, or acid (LSD). Nothing is said about huffing, snorting, dropping, smoking, vaping, shooting, licking, or any other method of ingestion. This is not to say, however, that recreational drug use is permissible. On the contrary, there are several very clear biblical principles that place drug use well outside the realm of acceptable behavior.

To begin with, Christians are under a universal mandate to respect and obey the laws of the land (Ecclesiastes 8:2-5; Matthew 22:21; 23:2-3; Romans 13:1-7; Titus 3:1; 1 Peter 2:13-17). The ONLY instance in which we are allowed to disobey the laws of the land is when the laws violate any divine imperatives (Daniel 3 and 6; Acts 5:29). There are no other exceptions to this rule. Contrary to popular belief, simply disagreeing with a law does not constitute a license for breaking that law.

Many have argued that marijuana does not warrant prohibition. They contend that smoking pot in defiance of the law is justifiable on these grounds and in light of (what they perceive to be) the hypocrisy of outlawing weed while allowing nicotine and alcohol consumption. Those who argue this point may be sincere in their conviction, but they are mistaken nonetheless. Heartfelt disdain for the law does not justify impunity towards it, as our Lord Himself made clear. While rebuking the Pharisees for turning the Law of Moses into an excessively oppressive yoke, Christ still required His disciples to submit to their unfairly harsh demands (Matthew 23:1-36, especially 1-4). Dutiful submission to authority and patient perseverance through unjust suffering and/or perceived unfairness (1 Peter 2:18-23) is God's high standard for us, even if that means having to abstain from marijuana in compliance with "unfair" legislation.

Not only are we to submit to authority for submission's sake, born-again Christians are further constrained by a mandate to live above reproach for the sake of the Gospel (1 Corinthians 10:32; 2 Corinthians 4:2; 6:3; Titus 2:1-8; 2 Peter 3:14). Needless to say, criminality is highly reproachable.

Obviously, this first principle does not impact drug users living in nations like the Netherlands where recreational drug use is legal and permissible. There are, however, more universally applicable principles. For example, Christians are all required to be good stewards of what God has entrusted to us, regardless of our national identity (Matthew 25:14-30). This includes our earthly bodies. Unfortunately, illicit drug use is an extremely effective way to destroy your health, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well.

As Dr. Alan Leshner, Director of the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) explains, "The most immediate, extensive, and long-lasting problems caused by drug abuse, both for individuals and for society, are often medical in nature. For example, known drug-abuse-related health problems and resulting lost productivity alone cost our society more than $33 billion each year. Illicit drugs directly cause many medical problems. Stimulants such as cocaine and methamphetamine increase the heart rate while constricting the blood vessels. In susceptible individuals, these two actions together set the stage for cardiac arrhythmias and strokes. The club drug methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, also called "ecstasy"), which many users mistakenly believe to be safe, has caused malignant hyperthermia, permanent kidney damage, and death. MDMA also damages serotonin nerve fibers in the brain. Heroin can cause a life-threatening kidney condition called focal glomerulosclerosis. The list continues: NIDA research has shown that almost every drug of abuse harms some tissue or organ." (Addressing the Medical Consequences of Drug Abuse, NIDA Notes, Vol. 15, No. 1, March 2000; available to be read online at http://www.nida.nih.gov/NIDA_notes/NNVol15N1/DirRepVol15N1.html)

Marijuana, while being the least harmful of all of the illicit drugs, is still potentially lethal. Marijuana enthusiasts ("potheads") take comfort in the fact that, unlike most other illicit drugs, it is seemingly impossible to fatally overdose on weed by means of normal consumption (i.e. smoking it). But this does nothing to diminish the potentially fatal risks of lung cancer, emphysema, and other forms of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) caused by marijuana smoke. While marijuana can be ingested without smoking it, thereby eliminating these risks, there still remain negative physiological and psychological consequences including damage to the reproductive system, the immune system, and cognitive ability.

Beyond stewardship, as Christians, our bodies are not our own. We "have been bought with a price" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20), not "with perishable things like silver or gold . . . but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ" (1 Peter 1:17-19). Having bought us with His own life, Christ has delighted to create in us something entirely new, something somewhat bizarre. By indwelling us with His Spirit, He has turned us into organic temples of sorts. So now, caring for our health is not just a matter of good stewardship. It is a matter of reverential piety. This is both wondrous and terrifying.

Another biblical principle concerns our susceptibility to deception. As fallible creatures we are prone to delusion. And since we are the objects of God's intense affection, His enemies are our enemies. This includes THE enemy, the Devil, the father of lies (John 8:44), a most formidable and determined adversary. All of the apostolic exhortations to remain sober-minded and alert (1 Corinthians 15:34; 1 Thessalonians 5:4-8; 2 Timothy 4:5; 1 Peter 1:13; 4:7; 5:8) are designed to remind us that we must be vigilant against the wiles of the Devil (1 Peter 5:8), who seeks to ensnare us through deception. Sobriety is also important for prayer (1 Peter 4:7), as is obedience to God (Isaiah 1:10-17).

As for drug addiction, not all illicit drugs are physically addictive. Nevertheless, they are all psychologically addictive. While most people are familiar with physical addiction, whereby the body becomes physically dependent upon a substance in order to be able to function properly, psychological addiction is less well-known. Psychological addiction is an enslavement of the mind, often characterized by obsessive tendencies and a lack of desire to quit. While physical addiction brings the body into subjection, psychological addiction brings the will into submission. Users tend to say things like, "I could quit if I wanted to, but I just don't want to." This attitude tends to ensure a long-term pattern of drug use whereby users become devotees in defiance of a very poignant biblical principle. The fact is, no one can wholeheartedly serve two masters (Matthew 6:24; Luke 16:13). Any time spent kneeling before the god of drugs is time spent with your back towards the God of the Bible.

In summary, the Bible teaches us that "denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present world" (Titus 2:12).

www.gotquestions.org/sin-drugs.html
Ask any ex-drug dealer they tell you that any pot you buy on the street is laced with another drug, just to make it stronger or to turn the user on to whatever ridiculously addictive drug they're selling.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ask any ex-drug dealer they tell you that any pot you buy on the street is laced with another drug, just to make it stronger or to turn the user on to whatever ridiculously addictive drug they're selling.

Wouldn't want to mislead anyone so the above statement in most all cases would be false. Laced pot cost considerably more and people don't just give the lace material (added drug) away for free.

But true, we think that no drug unless prescribed for a medical condition is good for us.

Clean and sober 10 years.

M-Bob

• Informative
Upvote 0

Innerfire89

Jul 17, 2017
Newton
✟13,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wouldn't want to mislead anyone so the above statement in most all cases would be false. Laced pot cost considerably more and people don't just give the lace material (added drug) away for free.

But true, we think that no drug unless prescribed for a medical condition is good for us.

M-Bob

Congratulations on 10 years.

Perhaps you're right to an extent. I think it would depend on what its laced with and how much. Theres many different high inducing chemicals, of course a dealer wouldn't give away pot laced with PCP because they would make more of selling PCP alone and they would lose customers if they gave it to them without thier knowing it. But if they have a large amount of pot they want it to sell.
The dirtier, underhanded dealers often will give small amounts of away from free, ask you if you liked it, then tell you it was laced with coke, meth, they'll even lace it with oxytocin.

And like I mentioned earlier, I was a stoner myself. Twice I was given laced pot without my knowing it before hand. The first time it was meth, the second time I don't know what it was, but it felt like my head was floating off my shoulder and the leaves in the trees were arranging into arrows pointed the way I was going and pirate ships, then evil bugs bunny came out of the woods and attacked me. Thank God I have a mind left.

Upvote 0

Innerfire89

Jul 17, 2017
Newton
✟13,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

M-Bob

PS. I don't think prescribed drugs are good for us either, even antibiotics harm the immune system, most drugs will throw your heart out of wack or eat up your kidneys. But perhaps I just have a low opinion of modern medicine.

Upvote 0