not so new
Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
✟94,770.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The Private Sector Organization of Jamaica, PSOJ, says the country’s implementation of a National Identification system is falling behind the rest of the world.

Head of the PSOJ’s committee on Digital Innovation, Christopher Reckord, says the country is currently on borrowed time.

Jamaica Falling Behind Rest Of The World In Implementing National ID System – PSOJ

Big Business

There are persons that may be wondering why my focus is on the private sector for the most part thus far. This is because I noticed a major shift in businesses from serving customers to serving themselves. The needs of consumer, costumers where no longer a priority, instead the priority was making as much money as possible at all costs.

I would see where in an attempt to become paperless, businesses in Jamaica would no longer care for the needs of customers. It didn't matter that are still many persons who did not know how to conduct business online, you have to conduct business online because that is the only option case closed.

I would look on my grandparents at the time in their 90's, both unable to use a computer, both unable to write much because their hands were no longer steady, and I remember thinking to myself, if my grandparents had no one to take of their business and honestly, what would they do? They would be completely left behind and taken advantage of by unscrupulous persons.

It also didn't matter that there are a lot of Jamaicans that do not have a computer at home. It did not matter that using a public computer to conduct transactions online has an increased risk of being compromised therefore having your own computer is recommended. None of that mattered and still mattered, we must be paperless.

I also noticed customer service getting worst than usual. For instance businesses hired less employees to interface with customers in order to save money, as a result people had to be calling the number of the business more to get additional help. This help primarily comes from an automated robotic voice giving you options to choose from, when all you want to do is to simply talk to a customer service representative. So you end up literally spending a lot of time simply trying to get help from an automated voice and not getting the help that you need.

Then there were other things that stood out to me. One of them was that there were businesses in Jamaica whose employees had committed fraud, the employees were fired, and that was the end of it. A lot of these did not come in the news, so people did not know that massive frauds were taking place at companies, businesses that they conducted business with. The reason why these businesses just fired the employees involved in fraud is because they did not and do not want bad publicity for their business. This practice by businesses gave the impression that less corruption is taking places in businesses, and that companies were more secure than they were.

I also began to realize that when hacking of companies also took place in Jamaica, it was not mandatory for them to be reported to the public, so therefore people had no idea the extent to which their personal information was not as secure as they thought they were.

The compromise of information in companies also made me realize that companies and businesses knew they cannot guarantee security, cannot adequately protect their customers information, but was eager and willing to encourage the National Identification System (NIDS) to be implemented, willingly sacrificing the personal information of Jamaicans to their own end, for their own profit.

Another thing that I noticed is that repeatedly proponents of NIDS kept on saying we need to have a digital society when we already have one. More people have been using the internet for research, communication, conducting businesses online, before paperless policies being pushed than ever before.

Last edited:

Norbert L

Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The needs of consumer, costumers where no longer a priority, instead the priority was making as much money as possible at all costs.
There has to be a balance because customers/employees can also be scoundrels and abusive as well when interacting with a business/government. It's not a one sided issue.

Upvote 0