• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Psalm 83, prophecy? or fulfilled?

Discussion in 'Eschatology - Endtimes & Prophecy Forum' started by Jamdoc, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Jamdoc

Jamdoc Watching and Praying Always

+1,438
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    Psalm 83 describes an invasion of Israel by its neighbors, such as people groups that make up modern day Jordan (Edom, Moab, Ammon), Palestinians (Philistines), and locations in Iraq (Assur), and Lebanon (Gebal, Tyre).

Some people look to it as a future end times prophecy but I'm not sure why. Israel has had multiple conflicts since coming back in 1948 with these nations and more, and it's not the same nations as the Gog-Magog war. So I believe that it's either referring to something way in the past, or is prophetic but was fulfilled in the first Arab-Israel War or Six Day War or Yom Kippur War.
    Probably the first Arab-Israel war because the express purpose of that was to cut them off from being a nation right after it was born, that and Israel was on their own and miraculously won, whereas the Yom Kippur war, Israel was supported by the US.

Can someone who believes it is yet a future war explain why?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+5,870
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    The conclusion doesn't affect me either way, but I recall during Balaam's story, God said what would be done to their people in the last days, and number of peoples were named.

Since Paul said "we are in the last days" but Jesus' first parousia was not the fulfillment of the military prophecies - this is taken to mean that it will happen later on in history.

3. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+6,640
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    It describes a conflict that occurred during the lifetime of the writer, but no one knows precisely who the writer was and what time he lived so it is hard to tell which conflict it was.

There are some people who read anything and everything in the old testament as predicting some sort of "end times" to come.

4. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+5,870
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    From that angle, I'd say it is currently being fulfilled through the spiritual Israel of the church and our battles that are not against flesh and blood (Ephesians 6).

5. Jamdoc

+1,438
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    That could still have been any of the Arab Israeli conflicts so far, aside from the mention of captivity by Asshur which would be the Assyrians, but that was already fulfilled even further in the past, unless there's a second captivity by Iraqis.

6. Jamdoc

+1,438
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    There are some End Times prophecies in old testament scripture. I have heard of Psalm 83 being treated as such, which.. I didn't look at it and see it that way, I initially thought historic conflict but can also easily see it being prophetic but something that happened in more recent history. There are stories about those Arab Israel conflicts such as Arab soldiers seeing a vision of Abraham and laying down their arms, and it resulted in a miraculous Israeli victory, and Arabs seeing an army of angels surrounding the Israelis etc.
    I have no doubt that God was actively defending Israel in these Arab conflicts, and it'll be the same in Gog-Magog, which I think is more set up to go because of current alliance statuses and I don't think Joe Biden will defend Israel, leaving it up to God. Especially with the recent conflict with the Palestinians turning world opinion against Israel.

Ezekiel 38 and 39 are end times prophecies though, and I believe Isaiah 17 is as well (Damascus has never been utterly destroyed in a single night yet)

7. keras

keras Writer of studies on Bible prophecy

+2,083
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married

Asaph the Prophet
    :
    Psalms 83:1-2 Do not keep silent, O God; be neither quiet nor still, for your enemies raise an uproar and those who are hostile to You carry their heads high.

Psalms 83:3-5 They devise a cunning plot against Your people and conspire against those whom You treasure. “Let us wipe them out as a nation” they say, let the name of Israel be remembered no more.

Psalms 83:6-8 With one mind, they have conspired to form a league against you; the families of Edom, the Ishmaelites, Moabites and Hagars peoples, Gebal, Ammon, Amalek, Philistia and Tyre. Asshur, too is their ally, lending aid to the descendants of Lot.

Psalms 83:9-12 Deal with them as You did with Sisera, as with Jabin by the wadi of Kishon, who were vanquished and fell as Midian fell and became manure on the ground. Make their princes like Oreb and Zeeb, their Kings like Zebah and Zalmunna, who said; We will seize for ourselves the territory of Gods people.

Psalms 83:13-15 Scatter them, my God, like thistledown, like chaff blown before the wind As a fire raging through the forest, with flames which blaze across the hills, so pursue them with Your tempest, terrify them with Your storm winds.

Psalms 83:16-17 Heap shame upon their heads, until, Lord, they seek Your name. Let them be humiliated and live in constant terror; let them suffer disgrace and perish.

Psalms 83:18 So let it be known that, You, whose name is the Lord, are alone Most High over all the earth. Ref: REB verses abridged.

V1/ Almighty God, we ask for Your intervention. Help us, please, we pray.

V2/ Your enemies are proud and confident in their strength. They threaten the Holy Land from all sides.

V3/ They are plotting our downfall and conspiring against Your people. Isaiah 21:6-7

V4/ They say; “we can get rid of them all, never to be restored as a nation.” As Iran says now.

V5/ The leaders of the enemy nations combine to attack Israel. [Micah 4:11-12]

V6-7/ They are- the Arab nations, including Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, and the Palestinians.

V8/ Asshur- may be the Turkish peoples. The descendants of Lot - Genesis 19:37-38

V9/ Lord, we ask that You deal with them as You have done in ancient times.

V10/ You destroyed those nations who attacked Your people at that time. Judges 8:3-10

V11-12/ Then, the leaders of the enemies of Israel, said; “we will take over their Land”.

V13-15/ God of Israel – once again scatter the enemies of Your people; with fire and raging storms. Hebrews 10:27, Malachi 4:1, Psalm 50:3

V16/ Make them ashamed of their conduct and then at last, they will acknowledge You. Obadiah 10

V17/ Your enemies will suffer disgrace and humiliation. All peoples will know that You alone are the Most High Lord over all the earth.

The fulfilment of Psalms 83 will be the Sixth Seal event. It will devastate all of the holy Land area and be a worldwide disaster.