wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Today's psalm for morning prayer is 34.

A few quotes:

"The lions...suffer hunger; but they who seek the LORD shall want no manner of thing that is good."

"Great are the troubles of the righteous; but the LORD delivereth him out of all...But misfortune shall slay the ungodly...all they that put their trust in him shall not be destitute."

But we know from other scriptures and I believe in other psalms as well as observation that at times the wicked are powerful and do flourish. The sun shines on all alike. And sometimes innocent people through no fault of their own suffer hunger, destitution, even starvation, persecution, and martyrom.

In light of the above how should we interpret psalm 34 and others like it?

Reactions: Sarah G

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,521.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think they're speaking to a particular type of pastoral situation.

To someone who is struggling, who does need to trust the Lord for basic survival, I think these psalms read like a promise that they're not forgotten; that the current moment isn't the end of the story, that God holds in trust a future and a promise which is better.

That's something that's contextual; I couldn't, with a straight face, say that to a hungry homeless guy begging on the streets, and then walk on by. But if I say it to him, and then help find him shelter and a meal, I've become part of the community who make this psalm part of the fabric of their way of life.

To the struggling this is a promise, and to the well-off it's a call to action. Or at least, that's how I read it.

Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think they're speaking to a particular type of pastoral situation.

To someone who is struggling, who does need to trust the Lord for basic survival, I think these psalms read like a promise that they're not forgotten; that the current moment isn't the end of the story, that God holds in trust a future and a promise which is better.

That's something that's contextual; I couldn't, with a straight face, say that to a hungry homeless guy begging on the streets, and then walk on by. But if I say it to him, and then help find him shelter and a meal, I've become part of the community who make this psalm part of the fabric of their way of life.

To the struggling this is a promise, and to the well-off it's a call to action. Or at least, that's how I read it.

I know that in the psalms often it is long life rather than eternal life that is sought. Domination over enemies and other this-worldly themes play a role often as well. Keeping in mind this worldly take on salvation as it were, I wonder if we should read psalms like the one quoted above in terms of our own conceptions of salvation. Our attitudes are, after all, often very different from the psalmists' in many ways. I am reminded of the one exulting in the prospect of dashing his enemies' children against rocks.

If we are to reframe this and other psalms in light of Christian notions of salvation which are often different from a surface level interpretation of the texts perhaps psalm 34 may tell us to trust God, that matters will finally be "okay" for us -- even if not within the confines of earthly life. Our hardships are temporal, and there is peace in our deaths when we "fall asleep" in Christ's embrace.

I accept your interpretation as valid as well. What do you think of the take I have herein presented?

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 34 is one of the Individual - Thanksgiving (Todah) prayers.

So I believe to read it as anything else than a Prayer of Thanksgiving is not to do the author of the prayer justice in my humble opinion.

One of the better commentaries on
Psalm 34 is from the Berit Olam series

The psalm has two major divisions the first being about thanksgiving and second as a lesson in wisdom to the person praying and those listening...

Psalm 34

COME, I WILL TEACH YOU THE FEAR OF THE LORD

As with Psalm 33, instruction dominates in Psalm 34. Psalm 33 has twenty-two lines but no acrostic sequence. Psalm 34, an acrostic, by adding a peh line at the end and collapsing the śı̂n and the šı̂n (two lines which correspond to Hebrew letters representing two different “s” sounds), results in twenty-two poetic lines and an added title. As with Psalm 25, the vav line is missing. The initial letters of the first, central, and concluding lines spell the word ʾlp, “teach” (vv. 1, 11, 22; cf. Psalm 25). The lengthy superscription, “Of David, when he feigned madness before Abimelech, so that he drove him out, and he went away,” situates it in the context of 1 Sam 21:10–15. The king in Samuel is Achish, not Abimelech.
The psalm has two parts: praise and thanksgiving (vv. 1–11), followed by a wisdom reflection (vv. 12–22). At first the sage instructs the community. Repeatedly the assembly is invited to listen to God who has aided and inspired the psalmist (vv. 5, 8–9, 11). Four references to the fear of God (vv. 7, 9 [twice], 11) plus the two verbs drš (“seek,” vv. 4, 10) and nbṭ (“contemplate, look,” v. 5) result in a total of seven references to a personal search for God. The typical wisdom address “Come, O children, listen” (v. 11; cf. Prov 4:1; 5:7, etc.) anticipates the second part which contains warnings and maxims about the good being favored over the bad. The sage extols correct behavior and exhorts the poor and oppressed to behave. The alternative, to trust in what is not God, particularly through evil means, is to invite failure. The poet pledges to “bless the LORD at all times”; he or she insists on completeness (seven times kōl, “all” or “every,” vv. 1, 4, 6, 10 [“no good thing”], 17, 19, 22 [“none”]).
There is evidence of a plot, which pivots on the initial lamed, the Hebrew letter “l” (v. 11), in the middle of the poem, “Come, O children, listen to me.” The sage teaches “the fear of the LORD,” which is the beginning, the crown, and the culmination of wisdom (see Sir 1:11–20). “Come” and “listen” are the sixth and seventh plural imperatives in the first part (cf. vv. 3, 5, 8 [twice], 9, 11 [twice]).24 The imperatives in the [Ps, p. 85] second half (vv. 13 and 14) are singular. The address “children,” wisdom’s invitation to her disciples, is rare and appears only here in the plural; in Proverbs the address is usually singular (“my child,” cf. Prov 1:8, 10; 2:1 and often). The question “Which of you desires life, and covets many days to enjoy good?” (v. 12) invites a personal response from what began as a general invitation. Given its central position, fear of the LORD is the safeguard and source of blessing for those who “do good.” The consequences of this stance commit one to keeping the commandments. This implies the correct use of speech and action and the pursuit of peace (vv. 13–14). Appeal to God, modeled on personal testimony, is recommended repeatedly (vv. 4–10, 15, 17–18). The reward is a satisfying life. The style, topic, and promise of Psalm 34 are all characteristic of Proverbs.
The central invitation is followed by instruction (vv. 12–14) and the relation between fear of God, prayer, and deliverance (vv. 15–22). The sage expands the message, gives examples, and reassures the afflicted that God sides with the just, the innocent. Appearances can be deceiving, for “Many are the afflictions of the righteous” (v. 19), even to the threat of bodily injury (v. 20), but in the end God will redeem the loyal servants (v. 22), which constitutes true life and goodness (v. 12). The declaration that not one bone of the righteous will be broken alludes, intentionally or by coincidence, to the prescriptions about the paschal lamb in Exod 12:46. The righteous will be kept whole. Broken bones in Isa 38:13 and Lam 3:4 is a sign of distress under God’s wrath. Even though the righteous may suffer physically or morally, God is close to them to help (vv. 4, 6, 17, 19). The poet is a proof of the general statement (v. 17),

When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears,
and rescues them from all their troubles.

The sage bolsters the confidence of the innocent sufferer, the “humble” (ʿănawı̂m) or “poor” (ʿānı̂) (cf. vv. 2, 6), “the righteous” (vv. 15, 17, 19, 21), “those who take refuge in him” (vv. 8, 22).
The military image is appropriate for the afflicted wisdom devotee (v. 7). Human aggression will be foiled by divine protection (the “angel of the LORD”). God’s goodness is projected as an experience like the sensation of taste. “Taste” and “hunger” embrace eating and famine (vv. 8–10). Those “who take refuge in” God, “who fear him,” “who seek the LORD” are invited to taste; they will not want. The correspondence of the two hemistichs of v. 10 implies that those who do not cultivate a relation with God are like animals who “suffer want and hunger” while “those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.” Elsewhere it is [Ps, p. 86] said that the law is delicious (Ps 19:10). One cultivates good taste by taking refuge in, lovingly fearing, and seeking the LORD. Just as a person may receive a vision or a locution, one may experience God through other senses, touch and taste. Again, two senses, taste and sight, describe the experience and appreciation of God which is open to everybody (the invitation is formulated in the plural). God’s eyes and ears (v. 15), which watch and listen for the just, is an icon of God’s interest and involvement with the devout. On the contrary, God will confront evildoers and “cut off the remembrance of them from the earth” (v. 16; cf. Pss 37:9, 22, 28, 38).
The opposition is evident (vv. 15–16a):

the eyes of the LORD on the righteous
his ears open to their cry
the face of the LORD against evildoers

The result is that the fame, name, or memory of the wicked will be cut off (v. 16b). The downfall of the wicked and God’s care of the good is reinforced by the conclusions in vv. 20–22, death to the wicked and rescue to the righteous. God acts for the benefit of the good; he does not forestall the death of the wicked.
The poet teaches “Many are the afflictions of the righteous” (v. 19) and tells how the afflicted paradoxically experience God’s closeness. Appearances deceive, because even as a person suffers physically or spiritually God is near (vv. 17–20). This reassurance is framed by the declaration that the memory of the wicked will be erased and the aggressor condemned (vv. 16, 21), which amounts to a concise expression of the boomerang effect of evil. Those who fear God are not exempt from troubles. The ethical life must be lived in communion with God, who is close to the brokenhearted and crushed of spirit, those who know that they cannot help themselves and only God can save (v. 18).

Author: Konrad Schaefer, O.S.B.

Last edited:
Upvote 0