May 16, 2015
✟120,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Only a few translations (ISV, RSV) refer to God as "fearful"; whereas most translations (KJV, NASB, INT, JPS, CJB, OJB, etc) refer to David as being "fearfully(nō·w·rā·’ō·wṯ) made" ... Hebrew Concordance: nō·w·rā·’ō·wṯ -- 5 Occurrences and Psalm 139:14 Interlinear: I confess Thee, because that with wonders I have been distinguished. Wonderful are Thy works, And my soul is knowing it well.

Psalm 139:14 (International Standard Version)
I praise you, because you are fearful and wondrous! Your work is wonderful, and I am fully aware of it.

Psalm 139:14 (New International Version)
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.​

What is your interpretation/understanding of David's expression "nō·w·rā·’ō·wṯ" if in fact it is David (and mankind) that is "fearfully made"

Reactions: Boogeyman07

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think of the intricate details, that like a chain of spider webs, delicate, and yet strung together to form us.
So, then is "awesome" (nō·w·rā·’ō·wṯ) the correct translation instead of "fearful" or does "fearfully made" possibly give another window of insight/meaning into Psalm 139:14 ?

Tehillim 139:14 (Chabad CJB Tanakh)
I shall thank You for in an awesome, wondrous way I was fashioned; Your works are wondrous, and my soul knows it very well.
Psalm 139:14 (Dr. Stern's CJB)
I thank you because I am awesomely made, wonderfully; your works are wonders — I know this very well.
Of the 5 occurrences of נוֹרָא֗וֹת in the Tanakh only Psalm 139:14 is translated as "fearfully made" by most English translations. The other 4 occurrences translate נוֹרָא֗וֹת as "awesome". In these other 4 occurrences the KJV translates נוֹרָא֗וֹת as "terrible" whereas the NAS and INT again translate נוֹרָא֗וֹת as "awesome"... Hebrew Concordance: nō·w·rā·’ō·wṯ -- 5 Occurrences

Did the KJV get it wrong and set in motion a kind of standard by which many other translators followed suit with "fearfully made" instead of "awesome". Can you think of any other possible interpretation in which "fearfully made" gives additional insight as relevant to Psalm 139:14 ?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Only a few translations (ISV, RSV) refer to God as "fearful"; whereas most translations (KJV, NASB, INT, JPS, CJB, OJB, etc) refer to David as being "fearfully(nō·w·rā·’ō·wṯ) made" ... Hebrew Concordance: nō·w·rā·’ō·wṯ -- 5 Occurrences and Psalm 139:14 Interlinear: I confess Thee, because that with wonders I have been distinguished. Wonderful are Thy works, And my soul is knowing it well.

I praise you, because you are fearful and wondrous! Your work is wonderful, and I am fully aware of it.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.​

What is your interpretation/understanding of David's expression "nō·w·rā·’ō·wṯ" if in fact it is David (and mankind) that is "fearfully made"

I don't trust Christian translators of the Tanakh. Accept perhaps the NAB. But at any rate...

From the JPS Tanakh (from the Masoretic manuscripts):
I will give thanks unto Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

• Informative
Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Here is Brenton's translation of the Septuagint (LXX):

Psalm 139:14 - I will give thee thanks; for thou art fearfully wondrous; wondrous are thy works; and my soul knows it well.
The Hebrew does not have "and" between "fearfully" and "wonderfully" as in the KJV. I also do not see "made" in the Hebrew text. When I search for נוראות (H3372), I do not see it translated "I am fearfully" anywhere else. I do not know Hebrew well enough to know if "I am" is correct or if "thou art" ("you are") is correct. I suspect the latter is correct making the word נוראות refer to YHWH, not David. At this point, I lean towards the ISV and LXX.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Here is Brenton's translation of the Septuagint (LXX):

Psalm 139:14 - I will give thee thanks; for thou art fearfully wondrous; wondrous are thy works; and my soul knows it well.
The Hebrew does not have "and" between "fearfully" and "wonderfully" as in the KJV. I also do not see "made" in the Hebrew text. When I search for נוראות (H3372), I do not see it translated "I am fearfully" anywhere else. I do not know Hebrew well enough to know if "I am" is correct or if "thou art" ("you are") is correct. I suspect the latter is correct making the word נוראות refer to YHWH, not David. At this point, I lean towards the ISV and LXX.
Why are you bothering with the Greek? It is a translation, and therefore inferior.

The word for wonderfully made is actually נִפְלֵיתִי, which I'm sure derives it from the root word mentioned in Strong's.

The word for fearfully is נוֹרָאוֹת, also derived from the root word in Strong's. The words "I am" and "made" are contextual. Because is in there.

The sentence, if translated word for word is "On because fearfully, wonderfully." You have to be an expert in Biblical Hebrew to be able to understand what is intended by that.

• Informative
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I like your posted translation. So, then do we all agree that David is referring to YHWH and not to himself as incorrectly(?) implied by the KJV and other "Christian" translations ...

Psalm 139:14 (KJV)
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
Psalm 139:14 (NIV)
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
Psalm 139:14 (ESV)
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made[a]. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.

a. Or for I am fearfully set apart

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why are you bothering with the Greek? It is a translation, and therefore inferior.
The English is also a translation. I am merely showing another possible translation. If we want to understand the Hebrew, we need to translate it. Seeing how it was translated into Greek, rather than English, is helpful. It may also be a translation of a different Hebrew text.

The sentence, if translated word for word is "On because fearfully, wonderfully." You have to be an expert in Biblical Hebrew to be able to understand what is intended by that.
You said you don't trust Christian translators, yet you went ahead and translated "On because" as you saw fit even though those Hebrew words can be translated many different ways according to Strong. :scratch:

• Useful
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The English is also a translation.
And English is poorer to read than the original Hebrew. We read the Scripture in English only because we are not fluent in Hebrew. What is really awful is to read a translation of a translation, i.e. an English translation of a Greek translation from the Hebrew. Now you are really talking about distorted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

נִפְלֵיתִי נִפְלָאִים

We were not given a Spirit of fear.

Upvote 0

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Gad, a troop shall overcome him: but he shall overcome at the last.

5 Now gather thyself in troops, O daughter of troops: he hath laid siege against us: they shall smite the judge of Israel with a rod upon the cheek.
2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
3 Therefore will he give them up, until the time that she which travaileth hath brought forth: then the remnant of his brethren shall return unto the children of Israel.
4 And he shall stand and feed in the strength of the Lord, in the majesty of the name of the Lord his God; and they shall abide: for now shall he be great unto the ends of the earth.

5 And this man shall be the peace, when the Assyrian shall come into our land: and when he shall tread in our palaces, then shall we raise against him seven shepherds, and eight principal men.

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am merely showing another possible translation. If we want to understand the Hebrew, we need to translate it.
... those Hebrew words can be translated many different ways according to Strong. :scratch:
How does one go about interpreting Psalm 139:15 (the depths of the earth) ?

Psalm 139:15 CJB
My bones were not hidden from you when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

Psalm 139:15 (Hebrew/English Interlinear)
Psalm 139:15 Interlinear: My substance was not hid from Thee, When I was made in secret, Curiously wrought in the lower part of earth. (or the depths of the earth.)

I think of the intricate details, that like a chain of spider webs, delicate, and yet strung together to form us.
So, are we back to Square One and the real probability that Vis' interpretation is just as correct/valid with Psalm 139:14-15 having more than one interpretation that at first sight would seem to contradict one another? When we read translations like the NIRV and ERV they do seem to clarify, thus raising the question: How does one determine if Psalm 139:14-15 has two different literal/figurative meanings with both being valid even though they seem to contradict one another ?

Psalm 139:15 (New International Reader's Version)
None of my bones was hidden from you when you made me inside my mother’s body. That place was as dark as the deepest parts of the earth. When you were putting me together there,
Psalm 139:15 (Easy-to-Read Version)
You could see my bones grow as my body took shape, hidden in my mother’s womb.[a]
a. mother’s womb Literally, “deepest parts of the earth,” meaning a place we know nothing about.

Here is Brenton's translation of the Septuagint (LXX): Psalm 139:14 - "I will give thee thanks; for thou art fearfully wondrous; wondrous are thy works; and my soul knows it well." ... I suspect the latter is correct making the word נוראות refer to YHWH, not David. At this point, I lean towards the ISV and LXX.
Psalm 139:14-15 (ISV)
14 I praise you, because you are fearful and wondrous![a] Your work is wonderful, and I am fully aware of it. ... a. LXX read because I am fearfully and wonderfully made
15 My frame was not hidden from you while I was being crafted in a hidden place, knit together in the depths of the earth.

It's unlikely that one verse is literal; while the following verse is figurative (or vice versa). OR is it possible both verses are both literal and figurative? Do we interpret verse 15 ...
the depths of the earth ... as being figurative or literal ? Do we then apply the same (whether figurative or literal) to both verses (14 and 15) ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How does one go about interpreting Psalm 139:15 (the depths of the earth) ?

Psalm 139:15 CJB
My bones were not hidden from you when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

Psalm 139:15 (Hebrew/English Interlinear)
Psalm 139:15 Interlinear: My substance was not hid from Thee, When I was made in secret, Curiously wrought in the lower part of earth. (or the depths of the earth.)

So, are we back to Square One and the real probability that Vis' interpretation is just as correct/valid with Psalm 139:14-15 having more than one interpretation that at first sight would seem to contradict one another? When we read translations like the NIRV and ERV they do seem to clarify, thus raising the question: How does one determine if Psalm 139:14-15 has two different literal/figurative meanings with both being valid even though they seem to contradict one another ?

Psalm 139:15 (New International Reader's Version)
None of my bones was hidden from you when you made me inside my mother’s body. That place was as dark as the deepest parts of the earth. When you were putting me together there,
Psalm 139:15 (Easy-to-Read Version)
You could see my bones grow as my body took shape, hidden in my mother’s womb.[a]
a. mother’s womb Literally, “deepest parts of the earth,” meaning a place we know nothing about.

Psalm 139:14-15 (ISV)
14 I praise you, because you are fearful and wondrous![a] Your work is wonderful, and I am fully aware of it. ... a. LXX read because I am fearfully and wonderfully made
15 My frame was not hidden from you while I was being crafted in a hidden place, knit together in the depths of the earth.

It's unlikely that one verse is literal; while the following verse is figurative (or vice versa). OR is it possible both verses are both literal and figurative? Do we interpret verse 15 ...
the depths of the earth ... as being figurative or literal ? Do we then apply the same (whether figurative or literal) to both verses (14 and 15) ?
Based on the context and where YHWH begins to fashion life, I would say the phrase "depths of the earth" is figurative for the womb. The word "depths" or "lowest parts" in the KJV is tachtı̂y. Strong's says it can figuratively mean a pit or womb. I see no reason why verse 14 can be literal and verse 15 part literal and part figurative as in Matthew 12:39-40.

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Here is Brenton's translation of the Septuagint (LXX): Psalm 139:14 - "I will give thee thanks; for thou art fearfully wondrous; wondrous are thy works; and my soul knows it well." ... I do not know Hebrew well enough to know if "I am" is correct or if "thou art" ("you are") is correct. I suspect the latter is correct making the word נוראות refer to YHWH, not David. At this point, I lean towards the ISV and LXX.
And yet, the ISV seems to contradict itself with the added footnote as if both "your work" and "I am" have a twofold duality of intended meaning.

Psalm 139:14 (ISV)
Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 139:14 - International Standard Version

Is it possible that David's intent of himself (mankind) as "fearfully made" as the following verse refers to the crafting of the body (both physical and spiritual crafting)? One has to wonder why the KJV and so many other translators didn't translate נוראות as "awesome" if "fearful" isn't what David really meant when it comes to YHWH crafting of his body (as well as Adam's body).

Psalm 139:15 (ISV)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't see any contradiction in accepting all that I saw posted as good and edifying and truth.
Psalm 139:14 is an example of a scripture with more than one meaning-interpretation (twofold duality). So, what may seem like a contradiction in translation is actually "good, edifying and truthful" (both translations) ... :)
  • "You are fearful and wondrous!"
  • "I am fearfully and wonderfully made"
I interpret "fearfully made" as man was created with a free choice (e.g. Adam, Abraham, David and so forth). What if Adam hadn't acted upon Eve's advice? What if Abraham hadn't acted upon Sarah's advice. On the other hand we all can think of situations where we are thankful we acted upon our Mother's advice and our wife's advice instead of following our short-sighted carnal/pleasure passions.

John 5:19 CJB
Therefore, Yeshua said this to them: “Yes, indeed! I tell you that the Son cannot do anything on his own, but only what he sees the Father doing; whatever the Father does, the Son does too.​

Upvote 0