Psaki dodges question of whether Biden still considers Cuomo 'the gold standard' for COVID-19 leader

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And I’m pretty sure you never gave the Trump administration a pass for obfuscating.

I don't suppose I ever did. I just assumed that it's what presidential spokepeople often do. So, I'm consistent in that regard.

As to past threads, I don’t think I ever commented on any thread having to do with Trump’s press Secretaries.

Just Biden's. Yes, I get that.

How many were there?

Hard to say. I never thought that kind of thing was remarkable. I was just wondering how often such behavior drew your notice before. And to be fair, it might be that you revised your opinion recently, for reasons having nothing to do with Biden being president.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sure you are. You are saying that because others have done it, we shouldn’t criticize.

I think we can always criticize. It's just that I never bothered criticizing it for other presidents, so I don't feel justified in criticizing Biden's people for the same thing. On the other hand, if you found it remarkable for previous administrations, it's consistent for you to also complain about Biden's people.

I just don't remember you doing it. Doesn't mean you didn't.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't suppose I ever did. I just assumed that it's what presidential spokepeople often do. So, I'm consistent in that regard.

Just Biden's. Yes, I get that.

Hard to say. I never thought that kind of thing was remarkable. I was just wondering how often such behavior drew your notice before. And to be fair, it might be that you revised your opinion recently, for reasons having nothing to do with Biden being president.
Let’s put it this way. There were lots of threads that criticized Trump’s administration. Rightly so. I rarely commented because...wait for it...I didn’t want to. If I want to comment on these threads, that’s my prerogative. There’s no rule stating that one has to had criticized the previous administration in order to criticize the current one. I’m sure there were many folks who criticized Trump who hardly said a bad word about Obama. Maybe you are one. If so, who cares? That’s your prerogative. So let’s stop with the silliness that I can’t be critical about this situation unless I was equally critical about a previous situation.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Let’s put it this way. There were lots of threads that criticized Trump’s administration. Rightly so. I rarely commented because...wait for it...I didn’t want to. If I want to comment on these threads, that’s my prerogative. There’s no rule stating that one has to had criticized the previous administration in order to criticize the current one.

Of course. As I said, you may have revised your opinions, or just didn't bother complaining about the same thing in previous administrations, even though you were offended by it. My position is that since I didn't mention it for other administrations, it would be inconsistent (at least) to complain about the same thing for Biden.

But that's just me. No one is compelled to agree with me.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
He did, for example when he shut down chinese from coming here at the start. But he let travelers from China, who weren't Chinese return. Trump was fixated on "the China virus" and never realized that he was letting infected people come in freely.
Yeah, like American citizens. You gonna leave them in China and simply 'hope' they get care? You ever seen the hospitals in China that are for the public?.....cuz I have.....firsthand.......
But that was just the beginning. He failed to provide guidance on social distancing, masks, and testing. He told people the danger was a "hoax" and that it was going to go away "like a miracle" at the same time he admitted to Woodward that he knew it was very bad and that he liked to "downplay" the danger. C'mon.
Course you would'a preferred "We're all gonna die." That would sound real presidential. You remember Roosevelt's campaign song when running for president in 1932? "Happy Days are Here Again"; in 1932 happy days were certainly not here again.
But it wasn't until Biden's people got a plan to make it available. It's one thing to have the vaccine, and quite another to get it in people's arms. As usual, Trump was a day late and a dollar short. Biden realized the problem and we are doing much better now. It's going to be a different administration.
C'mon man (as Joe would say). What reality are you living in? That is an out and out falsehood and you know it.
They respected Obama, because Obama was trustworthy.
They liked Obama because he was so eager to please foreign leaders.....he was like their little puppy dog. Give him a photo op and he would do whatever they wanted. Remember: 'tell Putin after the election I will have more flexibility'? Pandering to the Russians.
Trump Administration Had No Vaccine Distribution Plan, Says White House
Quoting the Biden admin.....impressive.
Face it Barb, you hate the man and nothing he ever does will change that. With that I will leave you to your dark place.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
He did, for example when he shut down chinese from coming here at the start. But he let travelers from China, who weren't Chinese return. Trump was fixated on "the China virus" and never realized that he was letting infected people come in freely.

Yeah, like American citizens. You gonna leave them in China and simply 'hope' they get care?

Just pointing out that stopping travel from China, except for infected Americans coming home, was not an effective control. It was based on a reflexive racism, not a rational idea. If you let Americans come home (and that seems like the right thing to do) you've completely invalidated a travel ban as a protection from the virus.

But that was just the beginning. He failed to provide guidance on social distancing, masks, and testing. He told people the danger was a "hoax" and that it was going to go away "like a miracle" at the same time he admitted to Woodward that he knew it was very bad and that he liked to "downplay" the danger. C'mon.

Course you would'a preferred "We're all gonna die."

I can never understand why some people think the alternative to "it's really bad, but I'm going to downplay the danger to the American people" is "we're all gonna die." But it does explain why some people don't understand how badly Trump bungled this crisis.

Biden, early on, presented a plan based on science and the knowledge of doctors and epidemiologists. Hundreds of thousands of deaths could have been prevented, and our economy would be on the road to recovery by now.

That would sound real presidential.

It did.

You remember Roosevelt's campaign song when running for president in 1932?

I remember his words to the American people. He acknowledged the severity of that crisis, but told Americans what we had to fear was fear itself. That was also Biden's message. We have a horrible crisis, but we can and will beat it. That's a big part of why he was elected.

"Happy Days are Here Again"; in 1932 happy days were certainly not here again.

But shortly after, recovery began. It's noteworthy that Roosevelt eased off on his programs as the recovery went on. He was calibrating his efforts to the economy. He actually cut back a bit too much at one point, and the economy trended down briefly.

(regarding lack of a plan to distribute vaccines effectively)

But it wasn't until Biden's people got a plan to make it available. It's one thing to have the vaccine, and quite another to get it in people's arms. As usual, Trump was a day late and a dollar short. Biden realized the problem and we are doing much better now. It's going to be a different administration.

C'mon man (as Joe would say). What reality are you living in? That is an out and out falsehood and you know it.

No, it's quite true. There was no plan for vaccine distribution when Biden entered the WH; he had to do that himself.
'There was no plan':
'There was no plan': Private health care workers shortchanged by vaccine distribution

They liked Obama because he was so eager to please foreign leaders.....

Putin and the Mullahs in Iran would disagree with you. Both took a beating from his sanctions. And the Iranians ultimately folded and complied with his demands in order to get their money back from U.S. and European banks (European leaders agreed to his plan to withhold Iranian funds until they abandoned their nuclear weapons program). And they wanted to be able to sell their oil again, something they could not do until they complied with Obama's demands.

On the other hand, Trump was like a little puppy dog with Putin and the Saudis:
iu

Donald Trump has been accused of hypocrisy after appearing to "curtsey" while receiving a gold medal from the king of Saudi Arabia.
Donald Trump appears to 'curtsey' to Saudi king

Give him a photo op and he would do whatever they wanted. Remember:
President Trump emerged from his historic summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Helsinki on Monday saying he doesn’t believe that Russia interfered in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
Putin’s denial, and Trump’s seeming acceptance of it, flies in the face of the conclusion of six top U.S. intelligence agencies that Russia interfered in the 2016 U.S. election. In early January 2017, the office of the director of national intelligence released a report concluding with “high confidence” that Putin “ordered an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the U.S. presidential election.”

“I don’t see any reason why it would be,” Trump said during a joint press conference with Putin following their discussions. “President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today.”
Trump says he believes Putin that Russia didn't interfere in election

• Winner
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Just pointing out that stopping travel from China, except for infected Americans coming home, was not an effective control. It was based on a reflexive racism, not a rational idea. If you let Americans come home (and that seems like the right thing to do) you've completely invalidated a travel ban as a protection from the virus.
You don't leave your people in a situation like that Barb....it is shocking that I even have to point that out.
We have a horrible crisis, but we can and will beat it.
The end was already in sight before Biden took office.
But shortly after, recovery began. It's noteworthy that Roosevelt eased off on his programs as the recovery went on. He was calibrating his efforts to the economy. He actually cut back a bit too much at one point, and the economy trended down briefly.
Once more Barb you demonstrate your lack of knowledge of history:
We’ve talked about the 1929 period a lot lately, but what you need to remember is that it was a walk in the park compared to 1933. It wasn’t until then that everyone had gone broke, given up hope, and sworn off stocks for life, leaving great businesses trading at double-digit dividend yields and a fraction of book value. The crash of 1929 was a blip. The depths of 1933 were like a nuclear bomb going off and leaving nothing but wasteland.
A Look at Some Major Stocks During the Bottom of the 1933 Stock Market Crash

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Once more Barb you demonstrate your lack of knowledge of history:

President Hoover's efforts, most notably the Hawley-Smoot Tariff, only exacerbated the problems.
The Tariff Act of 1930 (codified at 19 U.S.C. ch. 4), commonly known as the Smoot–Hawley Tariff or Hawley–Smoot Tariff, was a law that implemented protectionist trade policies in the United States. Sponsored by Senator Reed Smoot and Representative Willis C. Hawley, it was signed by President Herbert Hoover on June 17, 1930. The act raised US tariffs on over 20,000 imported goods.

The tariffs under the act, excluding duty-free imports (see Tariff levels below), were the second highest in United States history, exceeded by only the Tariff of 1828. The Act and tariffs imposed by America's trading partners in retaliation were major factors of the reduction of American exports and imports by 67% during the Depression. Economists and economic historians have a consensus view that the passage of the Smoot–Hawley Tariff worsened the effects of the Great Depression.
Smoot–Hawley Tariff Act - Wikipedia

What you didn't know was that Roosevelt didn't take office until 1933. He took office at the lowest point in the depression.

Franklin D. Roosevelt, in full Franklin Delano Roosevelt, byname FDR, (born January 30, 1882, Hyde Park, New York, U.S.—died April 12, 1945, Warm Springs, Georgia), 32nd president of the United States (1933–45).
Franklin D. Roosevelt | Biography, Presidency, Wife, Death, & Facts

Roosevelt turned things around only by drastic economic action, to which he resorted only because of the extreme danger the depression posed to American democracy. Both fascist and Marxist ideas were becoming more widespread in America at that time. The success of the New Deal put an end to most of it.

There was actually a fascist plot by some businessmen to attempt a coup, replace Roosevelt with a military dictatorship, and overturn all election results.

The plotters contacted retired Marine Maj. General Smedley Butler, a well-regarded officer, with the proposal to make him head of the new government. Butler, although a Hoover republican, promptly reported their activities, and the coup never got further than their initial plans.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2021/01/13/fdr-roosevelt-coup-business-plot/

During the Vietnam unpleasantness, I was stationed where two of the three most popular recreational activities were drinking and taking college courses. I chose college courses. I got most of the credits I needed for a degree in history, out of boredom. I did cover a lot of American history, though.

Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Once again I have wandered far off topic. Now to get back to the news of the day......

So far, we've uncovered the previously-unknown fact that politicians and especially their spokespersons will sometimes obfuscate. Who would have guessed?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What you didn't know was that the economy was recovering in 1932.....

Well, let's take a look...
We’ve talked about the 1929 period a lot lately, but what you need to remember is that it was a walk in the park compared to 1933. It wasn’t until then that everyone had gone broke, given up hope, and sworn off stocks for life, leaving great businesses trading at double-digit dividend yields and a fraction of book value. The crash of 1929 was a blip. The depths of 1933 were like a nuclear bomb going off and leaving nothing but wasteland.

Doesn't seem like a recovery...

Seriously?.....this is where you get your history lessons from.....LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Let's take a look at that...

The Business Plot (also called The White House Putsch)[1][2] was a political conspiracy in 1933 in the United States to overthrow the government of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and install a dictator.[1] Retired Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler asserted that wealthy businessmen were plotting to create a fascist veterans' organization with Butler as its leader and use it in a coup d'état to overthrow Roosevelt. In 1934, Butler testified under oath before the United States House of Representatives Special Committee on Un-American Activities (the "McCormack–Dickstein Committee") on these revelations.[3] No one was prosecuted.
Business Plot - Wikipedia

Known as the Business Plot, the plan was supposedly dreamed up by a prominent tycoons and Wall Street big shots who controlled many of the country’s major corporations like Chase Bank, Maxwell House, General Motors, Goodyear, Standard Oil, Dupont and Heinz, as well as other noted Americans, including Prescott Bush, grandfather of former U.S. president George W. Bush. [1] [2]

The conspirators were fuming over the 1932 election victory of Democrat Franklin D. Roosevelt. Once in office, FDR pledged a raft of measures to alleviate the effects of the Great Depression, which were known collectively as the New Deal. America’s 32nd president was also an advocate for the abandonment of the gold standard, something that horrified many elites. Critics condemned the White House for placing the country on what they saw as a slippery slope to outright Bolshevism.
The cabal planned to offer command of their rebel army to a celebrated U.S. Marine general by the name of Smedley Butler. The 52-year-old veteran of the war in France had also fought counter-insurgencies in Latin America and the Philippines and was perhaps the most respected military leader in the country at the time.
In 1933, American Legion leaders involved in the plot approached Butler, offering him command of the rebel army. The decorated war hero immediately alerted Washington of the conspiracy, which admittedly hadn’t progressed much beyond the discussion phase.
The Business Plot – Did American Billionaires Really Plan a Fascist Coup? - MilitaryHistoryNow.com

MacGuire informed Butler that the press would soon make an announcement about the league of businessmen fatigued by the president’s reckless economic reforms. They planned to plant stories about Roosevelt’s ill health, and expected the president to comply with orders from his fellow patricians to hand over the highest seat of government. He would be permitted a ceremonial position while Butler and his allies steered the country in the proper direction.
Now that he had a second witness, Butler brought his story to the Feds. The committee began hearings on November 20, 1934. “To be perfectly fair to Mr. MacGuire,” Butler said, “He didn’t seem bloodthirsty. He felt that such a show of force in Washington would probably result in a peaceful overthrow of government.” French corroborated Butler’s testimony.
These Wall Street millionaires literally plotted to overthrow the president

Anyone with even a slight interest in 20th century American History should know this. The hearings are in the Congressional record, as are Butler's statements, confirmed by another witness.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
See above. I cited the source you presented here, so I'm wondering why you're now disparaging it.

Here's the GDP from those years:
usgs_line.php

"Declined less drastically than the year before" doesn't amount to a recovery. Things got worse after that, as your link indicates.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

You don't leave your people in a situation like that Barb....

That's what I said. I bolded it in red for you, so you won't miss it this time. It is shocking that I even have to point that out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I notice Biden's sanctions on the Russian gas company were set in place nine days ago. Only Fox News or one of Trump's other mouthpieces would claim that as Trump's accomplishment.

2/23
The sanctions were announced in a report submitted to Congress by the State Department late Friday night
The heated exchange came after the Biden administration on Friday added a layer of sanctions to a Russian vessel and the shipowner for their work on the pipeline project.

State Dept briefing gets heated as reporter asks if Biden admin taking credit for Trump accomplishments

I know Trump and his minions claimed credit for a lot of things Obama did...

Spin, hyperbole and deception: How Trump claimed credit for an Obama veterans achievement
The first time President Trump claimed false credit for the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act — which President Barack Obama signed into law in 2014 — was on June 6, 2018. That day, as Trump signed the Mission Act, a modest update to the bipartisan VA Choice legislation, he seemed to conflate the two.

“So it’s now my great honor to sign the VA Mission Act, or as we all know it, the Choice Act, and to make Veterans Choice the permanent law of our great country,” the president said, standing in the Rose Garden. “And nobody deserves it more than our veterans.”

In the coming weeks, Trump began systematically erasing from the legislation’s history not just Obama but also the late senator John McCain (R-Ariz.), who not only co-sponsored the VA Choice Act but also was so instrumental in passing the Mission Act that he is one of three senators for whom the act is officially named.

That didn’t stop Trump from falsely claiming — as he did at a tank factory in Lima, Ohio, in March 2019 — that McCain, his frequent political rival, failed to make any progress on the VA Choice Act.

“McCain didn’t get the job done for our great vets and the VA, and they knew it,” Trump said.
Trump has repeated some version of his VA Choice Act mistruth more than 156 times, according to an analysis by The Washington Post’s Fact Checker, eventually claiming full credit for the bill codified by his predecessor.

“We’ve got Choice approved,” Trump told a Fox-affiliate reporter in Michigan in January. “I mean, nobody thought we could possibly get Choice approved. We have Veterans Choice approved.”

And, with that, Trump’s alternative history was complete.
Spin, hyperbole and deception: How Trump claimed credit for an Obama veterans achievement

But now he's (edit: his defenders are now claiming for him) credit for things Biden did after Trump left office? That is really... creative.:|

Last edited:
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I notice Biden's sanctions on the Russian gas company were set in place nine days ago. Only Fox News or one of Trump's other mouthpieces would claim that as Trump's accomplishment.

2/23
The sanctions were announced in a report submitted to Congress by the State Department late Friday night
The heated exchange came after the Biden administration on Friday added a layer of sanctions to a Russian vessel and the shipowner for their work on the pipeline project.

State Dept briefing gets heated as reporter asks if Biden admin taking credit for Trump accomplishments

I know Trump and his minions claimed credit for a lot of things Obama did...

The first time President Trump claimed false credit for the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act — which President Barack Obama signed into law in 2014 — was on June 6, 2018. That day, as Trump signed the Mission Act, a modest update to the bipartisan VA Choice legislation, he seemed to conflate the two.

“So it’s now my great honor to sign the VA Mission Act, or as we all know it, the Choice Act, and to make Veterans Choice the permanent law of our great country,” the president said, standing in the Rose Garden. “And nobody deserves it more than our veterans.”

In the coming weeks, Trump began systematically erasing from the legislation’s history not just Obama but also the late senator John McCain (R-Ariz.), who not only co-sponsored the VA Choice Act but also was so instrumental in passing the Mission Act that he is one of three senators for whom the act is officially named.

That didn’t stop Trump from falsely claiming — as he did at a tank factory in Lima, Ohio, in March 2019 — that McCain, his frequent political rival, failed to make any progress on the VA Choice Act.

“McCain didn’t get the job done for our great vets and the VA, and they knew it,” Trump said.
Trump has repeated some version of his VA Choice Act mistruth more than 156 times, according to an analysis by The Washington Post’s Fact Checker, eventually claiming full credit for the bill codified by his predecessor.

“We’ve got Choice approved,” Trump told a Fox-affiliate reporter in Michigan in January. “I mean, nobody thought we could possibly get Choice approved. We have Veterans Choice approved.”

And, with that, Trump’s alternative history was complete.

But now he's (edit: his defenders are now claiming for him) credit for things Biden did after Trump left office? That is really... creative.:|
You just can't help yourself Barb, can you? I mean you really have Trump on the brain. He really got under your skin. Again, this is not a Trump thread. If you have something to say about him that directly relates to this OP, great. If not please go start your own Trump thread. I know, I know....no one will come play with you.....but still, please stick to the OP, OK?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You just can't help yourself Barb, can you?

You brought up the subject. If you didn't want to talk about presidents taking credit for the accomplishments of other presidents, you shouldn't have brought up the subject, and in particular not what Biden did here. I get that it's been a very recent change, but this was something Biden did, not Trump.

And yes, it was a Fox News employee who falsely claimed that Trump did this. It wasn't Trump himself, although as you see, he often did take credit for things Obama did.

This one isn't on him, though. Shame on Fox News, not Donald Trump.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
If you didn't want to talk about presidents taking credit for the accomplishments of other presidents,
I guess you didn't understand the OP:
This is about the spokesperson......not Trump, not even Biden......the spokesperson which is why I included the 2nd spokesperson taking credit for the Biden Admin, Biden didn't say it......spokesperson did.
And yes, it was a Fox News employee who falsely claimed that Trump did this. It wasn't Trump himself, although as you see, he often did take credit for things Obama did.

This one isn't on him, though. Shame on Fox News, not Donald Trump.
And once more Barb, this is not a Trump thread......go start one.

Upvote 0