Prv: Giving to the Rich

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
GIVING TO THE RICH

Pr 22:16 He who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and he who gives gifts to the rich— both come to poverty.

The Bible discourages giving to the rich. One reason for this is because what you have given to the rich could have been given to the poor. And when the rich give to themselves things that they don't really need, will not God call them to account as to why they didn't give to those in need?

Today I heard one of those - prosperity gospel preachers who instructed his people to buy expensive cars for themselves so that outsiders would be impressed. He claimed that "poor Christians are a blight on the kingdom of God". And that they're poor because they didn't give him enough of their money. He claimed that if it were up to him they should give him 90% of their money. It makes me sick to hear such preaching. Ignore such preaching for "in their greed these teachers will exploit you." 2Pet 2:3 And James writes, "Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? But you have insulted the poor." James 2:5,6

Secondly considering the disparity of living conditions in the first world compared to the third world, many of those who reckon themselves "poor" in the first world are actually quite rich by third world standards, not to mention that most of us are rich by the standards of the past. I don't think Solomon had a TV, washing machine or refrigerator.

Bottom line: Neither oppress the poor nor favor the rich. Give according to the need.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
GIVING TO THE RICH

Pr 22:16 He who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and he who gives gifts to the rich— both come to poverty.

The Bible discourages giving to the rich. One reason for this is because what you have given to the rich could have been given to the poor. And when the rich give to themselves things that they don't really need, will not God call them to account as to why they didn't give to those in need?

Today I heard one of those - prosperity gospel preachers who instructed his people to buy expensive cars for themselves so that outsiders would be impressed. He claimed that "poor Christians are a blight on the kingdom of God". And that they're poor because they didn't give him enough of their money. He claimed that if it were up to him they should give him 90% of their money. It makes me sick to hear such preaching. Ignore such preaching for "in their greed these teachers will exploit you." 2Pet 2:3 And James writes, "Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? But you have insulted the poor." James 2:5,6

Secondly considering the disparity of living conditions in the first world compared to the third world, many of those who reckon themselves "poor" in the first world are actually quite rich by third world standards, not to mention that most of us are rich by the standards of the past. I don't think Solomon had a TV, washing machine or refrigerator.

Bottom line: Neither oppress the poor nor favor the rich. Give according to the need.

A prison ministry asked for my support with an ad. I checked his salary and found he earns about $350,000. Why should I support a ministry he cannot support unless he gets such a high salary?

I thought a homeless shelter or food bank might deserve my support. In the process some of the workers might be paid decent sums. Some genuinely poor might be helped, but a few with cars and Social Security checks might get into the homeless shelter.

A few with 2,000 sq ft homes might go to the food bank to try to get assistance. They have cars and could get there more easily. It is difficult to find the homeless poor in my area. The police do not want them trespassing or loitering. They do not want people begging in the streets. If I send money to some third world hunger program. There couples had six children. The more I feed them, the more hungry mouths they produce. Parts of the sea are overfished.

There is fear of poverty prevents me from giving more.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The poor are a moving target. Many are helped, or housed, by family or friends. Many are only temporarily poor. Some avoid public assistance programs, preferring life on the streets. Some beg or panhandle in an attempt to remain somewhat independent. Others have mental health issues that render them poor. The only common solution is to provide food, shelter, and some medical care for all, and most of this is done through tax funded social programs, although ngo's and churches also help.

Personally I support charities whose work appeals to me, which includes a variety of needs that don't necessarily include the above problems.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
GIVING TO THE RICH

Why should I give 90% of my money to somebody who is probably more well off than me? and with that being said I won't be able to afford my life expenses (Food, water, bills) if I were to give that much away.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
The Bible discourages giving to the rich. One reason for this is because what you have given to the rich could have been given to the poor.
This may seem an obvious reason not to give to the rich. But is this reason given by the Bible? It doesn't seem to show up in the references you give.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Giving wasn't the issue. It was the desire to secure their favor the bible addresses. They held them in higher esteem than others. James spells it out.

My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, “You sit here in a good place,” while you say to the poor man, “You stand over there,” or, “Sit down at my feet,” have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court?

Are they not the ones who blaspheme the honorable name by which you were called? If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors.

~bella

Upvote 0