Prv: Being Kind to the Poor

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟193,956.00
Faith
Christian
BEING KIND TO THE POOR

Pr 19:17 He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done.

Apparently one sure guarantee of reward concerns giving to the poor. Likewise Jesus says, "Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys." Luke 12:33

And while Christians have responsibility to support Christian ministries or Christian ministers, let us not build elaborate churches while neglecting the poor. When Paul's ministry was affirmed by James, Peter and John, Paul writes, "All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do." Gal 2:10 Are you eager to do that as well? And later when he came back he writes, "After an absence of several years, I came to Jerusalem to bring my people gifts for the poor and to present offerings." Acts 24:17

Helping the poor should be part of anyone's activities who wants to be commendable. Consider Cornelius - the first Gentile convert. Why did God chose him? The angel told him saying, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God." Acts 10:4 So also it is written that "In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (which, when translated, is Dorcas), who was always doing good and helping the poor." Acts 9:36 After she had died, the poor commended her to Peter, who then raised her from the dead. There's always reward in helping the poor.

Even the Law of Moses says, "If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother. Rather be openhanded and freely lend him whatever he needs." Deut 15:7,8 And it goes on to promise, "Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to." Deut 15:10

So don't miss out on the blessings. Be generous to the poor.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources