• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Proverbs 30:30 and actual lion behaviour.

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by Taeniura, Apr 29, 2018.

1. FrumiousBandersnatch

FrumiousBandersnatch Well-Known Member

+3,761
    Atheist
    Things like the Bible, you mean? ;)

2. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,790
    Christian
    Private
    Interesting.

3. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+2,899
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Its like your local library. Some things in it can be taken literally. Some obviously cannot.

4. FrumiousBandersnatch

FrumiousBandersnatch Well-Known Member

+3,761
    Atheist
    And things literally taken must be returned...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+6,983
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Actually, the New Living Translation does a very nice job translating the passage in the OP:

There are three things that walk with stately stride—no, four that strut about:
    the lion, king of animals, who won’t turn aside for anything;
    the strutting rooster;
    the male goat;
    a king as he leads his army.

Now, I ask you, does that passage look like it's telling us about the ethology of lions? Does "I saw a lion turn aside once" contradict the passage? Or is the passage perhaps telling us something about the behaviour of this North Korean gentleman?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  6. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,790
    Christian
    Private
    If the lion was hungry it wouldn't turn away from a herd of buffalo. It would most likely attack from the rear, and try to take down a buffalo.

7. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+2,899
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    I think youre exactly right.

The passage is meant to be a metaphor for human behavior using poetic hyperbole of lion capabilities.

8. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+15,224
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Proverb 30:30 isn't a scientific treatise on the behavior of P. leo, but using the lion as an example of a strong, courageous animal?

-CryptoLutheran

9. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+15,224
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    If it was desperate enough that its hunger was over running its self preservation behavior--but I suspect that even a desperate lion wouldn't attack a herd, but would try and snag a young or sickly member safely far enough away from the herd.

-CryptoLutheran

10. icxn

icxn Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα

+654
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    The Septuagint has:

29 And there are three things which go well, and a fourth which passes along finely. 30 A lion's whelp, stronger than all other beasts, which turns not away, nor fears any beast; 31 and a cock walking in boldly among the hens, and the he-goat leading the herd; and a king publicly speaking before a nation.​

In my opinion, the lion's whelp is Christ who turned not away nor did He feared the Jews who wanted to kill Him. He is the cock walking boldly among His disciples. He is the goat leading His disobedient people (from the Jews) and a King speaking before the Christians.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  11. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+15,115
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Threads like this are one small reason I stick around CF. Fascinating to learn how some people think. The ignorance can be jaw-dropping.

12. 1 John 4:1

1 John 4:1 Member

+72
    United States
    Messianic
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    @Chesterton I think you are trolling. Announcing that you are SO much more learned than some other people on this thread that you find their posts fascinating (by virtue of them being jaw-droppingly ignorant) is bound to get a negative response.

13. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+15,115
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    You're wrong about trolling but probably right about the rest of it.

14. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinator

+4,273
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    Come now. Surely Chesterton comes across as a pleasant chap who is very humble, perhaps because he has much to be humble about. :)

15. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinator

+4,273
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    You may be right. Only yesterday I said to my wife, "Honey, please don't badger me." And she replied that she didn't care.

16. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+6,983
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Well, no, actually. This is not a prophetic passage.

17. 1 John 4:1

1 John 4:1 Member

+72
    United States
    Messianic
    Private
    US-Libertarian
  18. icxn

+654
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    And when I thought that limiting the interpretation to the prophetic sense would be more acceptable... how about a tropological one?

A lion’s whelp is a determined mind that directs all its anger against the passions of the flesh (the beast) and does not turn away from, nor is afraid of bodily labors. A cock* is a chaste disposition that remains cool** amidst the pleasures of the body. A goat leading the herd, is he who has gained control over evil thoughts and is no more led by them to act sinfully. And finally, a king speaking in the assembly of a nation is the mind that reigns over the senses and convincingly refutes the suggestions of the demons (the nation).

_________
    * The Greek word for cock, ἀλέκτωρ also means unwedded.
    ** The word translated as boldly, εὔψυχος relates to cooling.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  19. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+6,983
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    That doesn't impress me either.

20. icxn

+654
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I piped to you the prophecy about Christ and you did not dance. I sang the dirge of repentance like St. John and you did not mourn.

What else can I say?