So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But liberal ideas are contagious, because they make sense! Once the brain of a person is enlightened by the glorious liberal truths, there is no way to unenlighten it!

But actually, I gotta admit, there is a part of me that kind of understands that phobia, to a certain point. If someone asked me to join a course of "Islamic history to learn and understand religious diversity" - my own first gut reaction would be that it's not an actual attempt to teach objective history, but a politically driven, perhaps a bit naive, attempt to present a whitewashed version of Islam, to make me less anti-Islam.

I think that while liberals are usually the good guys, they have an annoying tendency to go too far and don't stick to the objective assessment, in an attempt of trying to promote tolerance. Now this is of course a far lesser problem than ignorance + bigotry of the opposite camp, but a problem that often annoys me.
No, fair point, I probably shouldn't have used liberal ideas.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Haven't you heard if your taught about Islamic history you become Muslim! Ever since I was taught Aztec history I have demanded the right to sacrifice humans for my Aztec gods!:doh:

I have to agree with you. Some parents and school boards get kind of skittish with the mention of any religion or faith. Maybe there can be some neutrality in public schools.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's just another example of what drives so many of these type of discussions. Some people literally seem to think that any exposure at all to some things may lead to an infection, as though Islam, homosexuality, or liberal ideas were literally contagious

Like the Bible for instance.

• Agree
Reactions: 7trees
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I have to agree with you. Some parents and school boards get kind of skittish with the mention of any religion or faith. Maybe there can be some neutrality in public schools.
True, but teaching children about the history and beliefs of particular religions can help dispel myths. For example explaining about food taboos of both Judaism and islam.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,876.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
True, but teaching children about the history and beliefs of particular religions can help dispel myths. For example explaining about food taboos of both Judaism and islam.
I would love it if we dispelled myths by teaching the truth of Islamic history and beliefs. Only downside is that it might give our children nightmares.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The dietary restrictions actually help keep the ancient Hebrews healthy.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

J Cord

Aug 1, 2016
Canada
✟25,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
This is exactly how they slip Shia law into America. They get us all cozy with Islam and the one day, the Islam prayers are being blasted in your neighborhood and you are arrested if you are not at the mosque.

Are serious?

Upvote 0