Los Angeles Area
✟829,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"My child's personal religious beliefs were violated,” said Edmisten, adding that her seventh grade daughter took zeros on the section on Islamic history after a teacher didn’t allow her to opt out of the curriculum and standards and do alternative studies. “Those are zeros that we proudly took and we will not compromise.”

Some people can't even face learning about something.

When I first saw the story on HuffPo, it seemed like it was just one crazy mom, but sadly that's not the case.

She got applause for her rant, and a board member made a motion to remove the textbook “because it does not represent the values of the county.”

And then there's this:

Hughes said Sullivan County must follow the law and standards “"whether we like it or whether we don’t.”

“I think everybody on the board agrees with the public. We live here, too,” Hughes said.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The National Council for the Social Studies, a professional organization that helps support social studies teachers and programs, called the study of religions an “essential” part of the curriculum:

“Knowledge about religions is not only a characteristic of an educated person but is necessary for effective and engaged citizenship in a diverse nation and world. Religious literacy dispels stereotypes, promotes cross-cultural understanding and encourages respect for the rights of others to religious liberty.”

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
"My child's personal religious beliefs were violated,” said Edmisten, adding that her seventh grade daughter took zeros on the section on Islamic history after a teacher didn’t allow her to opt out of the curriculum and standards and do alternative studies. “Those are zeros that we proudly took and we will not compromise.”

Some people can't even face learning about something.

When I first saw the story on HuffPo, it seemed like it was just one crazy mom, but sadly that's not the case.

She got applause for her rant, and a board member made a motion to remove the textbook “because it does not represent the values of the county.”

And then there's this:

Hughes said Sullivan County must follow the law and standards “"whether we like it or whether we don’t.”

“I think everybody on the board agrees with the public. We live here, too,” Hughes said.
Haven't you heard if your taught about Islamic history you become Muslim! Ever since I was taught Aztec history I have demanded the right to sacrifice humans for my Aztec gods!:doh:

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The less informed a person is, the easier they are to manipulate.

That would make Trump an easy target for the elite.
So I don't see it.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Haven't you heard if your taught about Islamic history you become Muslim! Ever since I was taught Aztec history I have demanded the right to sacrifice humans for my Aztec gods!:doh:

And I thank you for it. Without your dedication, the sun will stop rising.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
That would make Trump an easy target for the elite.
So I don't see it.

Well ISIS gets it and depends on the uninformed Muslim to fill their ranks.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How are they (school) tying this into a history lesson? Just curious. When I was in school we touched on different faiths, and maybe some general discussion about their belief systems...but nothing more. Now, if there was a certain belief that tied into a war or conflict we were studying? Yes, we went there. You can't wrap your head around the history of it without it.

They would also discuss it a little if they were speaking of history of the middle east, or how countries in other parts of the world try to take over...and convert them, etc. Parts of their belief system would be relevant, but the belief systems on the other side would too.

I couldn't tell from the little we got from the article if her concerns were good ones or not. Now days you have to be more careful with approaching any faith of any kind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
How are they (school) tying this into a history lesson? Just curious. When I was in school we touched on different faiths, and maybe some general discussion about their belief systems...but nothing more. Now, if there was a certain belief that tied into a war or conflict we were studying? Yes, we went there. You can't wrap your head around the history of it without it.

They would also discuss it a little if they were speaking of history of the middle east, or how countries in other parts of the world try to take over...and convert them, etc. Parts of their belief system would be relevant, but the belief systems on the other side would too.

I couldn't tell from the little we got from the article if her concerns were good ones or not. Now days you have to be more careful with approaching any faith of any kind.

It is social studies, not history. It looks like high level overview of Islam. Follow the link and you can see 3 questions (one 5 part). What is the Holy book of Islam, What are the 5 Pillars of Islam and did the Muslim Empire expand or contract after Mohammed's death. All very informational not indoctrinational questions.

The Holy book question is a bit of a problem as the Bible is also a Muslim holy book as it is for the Mormons.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

From the link you claimed showed that ISIS does not use those ignorant of Islam to fill their ranks!

A substantial number of radical Islamic terrorists are recent converts who know surprisingly little about Islam, Olivier Roy, a professor at the European University Institute in Italy and well-known analyst of Islamist terrorism, said in a recent lecture, where he attempted to lay out "a scientific perspective on the causes/circumstances" of people joining radical groups.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was in 7th grade (Now 25) when I had to take an overview of Islam in social Studies. I actually chose to do more research, but even if not learning about something will not hurt her; if that is how her parents feel.

• Agree
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

He is Risen 72

Colossians 2:14 The Law is nailed to the Cross!!
Sep 3, 2013
Michigan
✟27,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is exactly how they slip Shia law into America. They get us all cozy with Islam and the one day, the Islam prayers are being blasted in your neighborhood and you are arrested if you are not at the mosque.

Upvote 0