Protestants, At What Point Does It Become Not The Body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It was the body for over 1,600 years. What happened? What holy man declared it wasn't the body? Who had the authority to change fundamental Christianity?
LLOJ subscribes with glee! :wave:
Sounds like the same question answer thang that Jesus had with these "authorities" :D

Matt 21:23 And he having come to the temple, there came to Him when teaching, the chief priests and the elders of the people, saying "By what authority dost Thou do these things? and who gave Thee this authority?'
24 And Jesus answering said to them, `I will ask you--I also--one word, which if ye may tell Me, I also will tell you by what authority I do these things
25 The baptism of John, whence it was, from heaven or from men"?.......
27 And anwering to the Jesus "not we are aware/have known". He said to them, he also, "Neither do I tell ye by what authority I do these things".

Upvote 0

JesusFreak78

Reformed Baptist
Feb 11, 2005
Minnesota, USA
✟27,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It was the body for over 1,600 years. What happened? What holy man declared it wasn't the body? Who had the authority to change fundamental Christianity?

Not sure I understand your question. The body of Christ is the church (God's people).

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
When Zwingli decided it was not.
Who dat :confused:

Huldrych Zwingli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The cornerstone of Zwingli’s theology is the Bible. Zwingli appealed to scripture constantly in his writings. He placed its authority above other sources such as the ecumenical councils or the Church Fathers, although he did not hesitate to use other sources to support his arguments.[76] The principles that guide Zwingli's interpretations are derived from his humanist education and his reformed understanding of the Bible.[77] Modifying a literalist interpretation of a passage, he paid attention to the immediate context and attempted to understand the purpose behind it. He compared passages of scripture and used analogies, a method he describes in A Friendly Exegesis (1527). Two analogies that he used quite effectively were between baptism and circumcision and between the Passover and the eucharist.[78]

Zürich disputations (1523)

The events of 1522 brought no clarification on the issues. Not only did the unrest between Zürich and the bishop continue, tensions were growing among Zürich’s Confederation partners in the Swiss Diet..........

First Disputation

On 3 January 1523, it invited the clergy of the city and outlying region to a meeting to allow the factions to present their opinions.

Second Disputation

In September 1523, Leo Jud, Zwingli’s closest friend and colleague and pastor of St. Peterskirche, publicly called for the removal of statues of saints and other icons.

Upvote 0

JonF

Sapere Aude!
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2005
California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Typically realizing something is false isn't the cause of it not being true. So I’m going to say always. If you’re asking when we realized the allegorical nature of communion I’d guess sometime between the renaissance and the enlightenment, when the proper tools were developed to “check” and the circulation of scientific literature was more available.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus Christ Himself said "this is my body, this is my blood," you can see it plainly in Scripture. Here is one place:

Mat 26:26 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; this is my body."
Mat 26:27
And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you,
Mat 26:28
for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You know Zecryphon, when people asked Him about this he didn't give the most clear answer about how literal and how figurative He was being.

It's quite clear. The disciples grumble amongst themselves, and Jesus reiterates it. There is a bit more grumbling, and some leave. He reiterates it again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's quite clear. The disciples grumble amongst themselves, and Jesus reiterates it. There is a bit more grumbling, and some leave. He reiterates it again.
Sounds a lot like GT!

"My Jesus loves me more than yer Jesus! nanananana"

Upvote 0

JonF

Sapere Aude!
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2005
California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's not the most true representation of the discussion. Take John 6.

John 6:60 - the disciples tell Him they don't understand
John 6:61-66 - He ask them if this offends them, then talks to them about who He is not really addressing communion directly.

Notice He never actually explains exactly what He means, or how He means it up until the last supper. Then all He says is do this in remember of me.

If Jesus, when asked directly doesn't feel the need to clarify, whether or not it turns into literal blood and body, I don't see why it's such a big deal that either side of this debate feels the way they do. I mean honestly, do you really think the science of communion is all that important compared to the rest?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As my t-shirt says, "Jesus said hoc est, Zwingli is a n00b".

-CryptoLutheran
"You'll shoot yer eye out kid!"

afi_noobgun.jpg

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You know Zecryphon, when people asked Him about this he didn't give the most clear answer about how literal and how figurative He was being.

Actually Jesus did clear that one up when He said "This is my body, this is my blood." Those are not allegorical or figurative or metaphorical statements. To take the position that it is not Jesus' body and blood, when Jesus Himself has said it is, is to call Jesus a liar. Are you sure you wanna go there?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.