Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How do Catholics see Protestants?

Catholic documents say
"The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptised who are honoured by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."​
And
"who believe in Christ and have been properly baptised are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."
Protestants say all sorts of things about Catholics - there is no single Protestant view.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I expect heaven to be crowded with those who were Catholics, because they are numerous. There will be plenty of protestants and those who were not in Catholic churches too.

But there the old things will be forgotten.

No one will care about such labels. All will be in harmony, because it will be those who get started loving others now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I expect heaven to be crowded with those who were Catholics, because they are numerous. There will be plenty there who were not in Catholic churches too.

But there the old things will be forgotten.

No one will care about such labels. All will be in harmony, because it will be those who get started loving others now.
Will heaven be crowded with Protestants too?

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes! I should make it more clear. :)
What a mess. I hope heaven has fences, nigh high ones, so that the warring parties will not see the others in bliss. :p

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What a mess. I hope heaven has fences, nigh high ones, so that the warring parties will not see the others in bliss. :p
That was probably meant as a joke but warring parties are obviously affiliated with something other than Christianity by definition alone.

• Agree
Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That was probably meant as a joke but warring parties are obviously affiliated with something other than Christianity by definition alone.
How?

Because that kind of attitude is not Christian. If a Christian has it, then it's not because of Christianity.

I must agree with the use of the term, obviously.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because the definition of Christian is a follower of Christ. He may have chosen people from many different factions to be His followers but the end game was to be one in love. I don't think He will fall short of His plan for His people.
Dogma changes lots of people's thoughts on how much they can get away with now in not loving one another but not being a believer in purgatory leaves me with second chances primarily avoiding second death before eternity is reached at the millenium.
In any case you will know a Christian by their love and no matter if Catholic or Protestant .. to hate is not Christian.
It used to be Catholic affiliation was the generator of hate on the forums. Now I see Protestant affiliations perpetrating spews of hatred that wasn't there before. I don't consider any hate a being from as Christian perspective.
But there are also lots of dialog going on between Christians of all denominations that are sans hateful feelings that I find very edifying rather than toxic to the soul.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because that kind of attitude is not Christian. If a Christian has it, then it's not because of Christianity.

In The Simpsons there were islands in heaven; surely the Simpsons is realistic :)

• Haha
Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because the definition of Christian is a follower of Christ. He may have chosen people from many different factions to be His followers but the end game was to be one in love. I don't think He will fall short of His plan for His people.
Dogma changes lots of people's thoughts on how much they can get away with now in not loving one another but not being a believer in purgatory leaves me with second chances primarily avoiding second death before eternity is reached at the millenium.
In any case you will know a Christian by their love and no matter if Catholic or Protestant .. to hate is not Christian.
It used to be Catholic affiliation was the generator of hate on the forums. Now I see Protestant affiliations perpetrating spews of hatred that wasn't there before. I don't consider any hate a being from as Christian perspective.
But there are also lots of dialog going on between Christians of all denominations that are sans hateful feelings that I find very edifying rather than toxic to the soul.
Purgatory?
Do protestants have purgatory? I can't recall that being taught in any sermon I heard.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Purgatory?
Do protestants have purgatory? I can't recall that being taught in any sermon I heard.
No some teach the 1000 yrs before eternity yet to come. But both insist that overcoming the world, satan and self is needed. afaik

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It's not an attitude of Christianity ... obviously :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh. So that's purgatory?
No ... Purgatory misrepresents the reward system. Protestantism that I know represents rewards that given or taken away as works burnt.

Here's the long version ..

Many use the doctrine of purgatory to explain away what is easily rightly divided in the Word in recognition of the difference between the millenium and eternity. Like the prophets of old who couldn't see the church age in the valley when viewing eternity, so too with these 2 trains of thoughts, they can't see the valley of the millenium when viewing eternity. The prophets of old had an excuse.
1 Peter 1:12
It was revealed to them that they were serving not themselves but you, in regard to the things that have now been announced to you through those who brought you good news by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven—things into which angels long to look!​

AND this is definately Not confined to any specific denominations even tho they don't term it as purgatory.

Neither of these schools recognize the reward of the kingdom; even moreso, they do not see the suffering of the loss of the kingdom reward. Both consider all the negative points in verses refering to the rewards as referring to perdition.

School A , believing in eternal salvation regards all the negative points of reward scripture as applying to the perdition of false believers; while school B, believing that a saved person will perish if he falls, regards these points as applying to the perdition of believers who have fallen.

But the complete revelation of the Bible shows that these negative points refer to the suffering of the loss of the kingdom reward. God's salvation is eternal; once we obtain it, we will never lose it John 10:28-29. But we may suffer the loss of the kingdom reward, even though we still will be saved 1 Corinthians 3:8, 1 Corinthians 3:14-15.

Hebrews 6 school A refers to those who have fallen away yet have repented in baptism, tasted of the heavenly (note John the baptist had the ministry of baptism of repentance) (not to be repeated) while Hebrews 10 school B refers to those who never believed but treated His sacrifice as a common thing and insulted the Holy Spirit. STOP your both right! But what your wrong on is the lack of discernment toward rewards~!

Hebrews 12:28
Therefore receiving an unshakable kingdom, let us have grace, through which we may serve God well-pleasingly with piety and fear;​

The Hebrew believers had received the kingdom, but they risked losing the reward in the manifestation of the kingdom if they shrank back from the grace of God, from God's new covenant way.

The kingdom in its reality is an exercise and a discipline to us Matthew 5:3, 10, 20; Matthew 7:21 in the church today whereas the kingdom in its manifestation will be a reward and an enjoyment to us Matthew 16:27; Matthew 25:21, 23 in the millennial kingdom in the coming age.

If we take the Spirit's exercise and God's discipline in the reality of the kingdom today, we will receive the Lord's reward and enter into the enjoyment of the coming Sabbath rest Hebrews 4:9 in the manifestation of the kingdom in the coming age.
Otherwise, we will miss the coming kingdom, we will not be rewarded with the manifestation of the kingdom at the Lord's coming back, we will have no right to enter into the glory of the kingdom to participate in Christ's reign in the millennial kingdom, and we will lose our birthright and therefore will be unable to inherit the earth in the coming age, to be the royal priests serving God and Christ in His manifested glory, and to be Christ's co-kings ruling all the nations with His divine authority Revelation 20:4, 6.

To miss the coming kingdom and to forfeit our birthright does not mean that we will perish. It means that we will lose the reward but not our salvation. We will suffer loss but still will be saved, yet so as through fire 1 Corinthians 3:14-15.

This is the basic concept on which all five warnings in Hebrews are given and with which they are all pervaded. All the negative points of these warnings are related to the suffering of the loss of the reward in the coming kingdom, whereas all the positive points are related to the reward and enjoyment of the kingdom. All seven epistles in Revelation 2 and 3 conclude with this same concept — the reward of the kingdom or the loss of it.

Here's a list of scripture pertaining to rewards:
Matthew 5:20; Matthew 7:21-23; Matthew 16:24-27; Matthew 19:23-30; Matthew 24:46-51; Matthew 25:11-13, 21, 23, Matthew 25:26-30; Luke 12:42-48; Luke 19:17, 19, Luke 19:22-27; Romans 14:10, 12; 1 Corinthians 3:8, 13-15; 1 Corinthians 4:5; 1 Corinthians 9:24-27; 2 Corinthians 5:10; 2 Timothy 4:7-8; Hebrews 2:3; Hebrews 4:1, 9, 11;Hebrews 6:4-8; Hebrews 10:26-31, 35-39; Hebrews 12:16-17, 28-29; and Revelation 2:7, 10-11, 17, 26-27; Revelation 3:4-5, 11-12, 20; Revelation 22:12.

• Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But what is it?
Many Catholics believe that in addition to heaven and hell, a third plane of existence, purgatory, exists in the afterlife. Purgatory is for Catholics that sinned but left earth in God's grace. I think that Lutherans who also call themselves Protestants believe in purgatory too, but am not aware of their protests against what dogma.
(Edit) indulgences for relief for those who died sparked the protest so if the Lutherans do believe in purgatory then that doesn't make sence. ) Does it to you? Besides in the animosity between Christians? The protest was about buying a way to heaven that many believed was true and thought worthy of fighting for. Treasures in heaven are not made of corruptable things.

Have you sparked enough from this or do you think the warzone of GT to be too greatly missed nostalgic to leave at that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Many Catholics believe that in addition to heaven and hell, a third plane of existence, purgatory, exists in the afterlife. Purgatory is for Catholics that sinned but left earth in God's grace. I think that Lutherans who also call themselves Protestants believe in purgatory too, but am not aware of their protests against what dogma.
(Edit) indulgences for relief for those who died sparked the protest so if the Lutherans do believe in purgatory then that doesn't make sense. ) Does it to you? Besides in the animosity between Christians? The protest was about buying a way to heaven that many believed was true and thought worthy of fighting for. Treasures in heaven are not made of corruptible things.

Have you sparked enough from this or do you think the war-zone of GT to be too greatly missed nostalgic to leave at that?
If purgatory is for people going to heaven then isn't it all part of the "intermediate state" thing that I've seen in systematic theologies?

Upvote 0