Protestantism has done more harm than good.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Cool programs. I was thinking more along the lines of putting money together to extend one building or get a new location that can house both.....Even in this case, the cost to have the one, should be lesser than the cost to have the two......especially with the income from both buildings going into one establishment.

Im sure that all churched have praise worthy causes and endeavors that they participate it. I see little reason why two would not combine to form one....especially if they fellowship anyway....and combine talents to create an even greater service for the public..... If they arent competing in anyway.
I don’t know what their financial status is. Our building is paid for and our property is large enough that we have space for a large garden. What was a rural area 50 years ago is now suburbia. It would be both difficult and costly to come up with a large property, then we would have the cost of a building. Plus, as I noted before, we have each developed differing outreach programs. What you are suggesting isn’t going to happen.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know what their financial status is. Our building is paid for and our property is large enough that we have space for a large garden. What was a rural area 50 years ago is now suburbia. It would be both difficult and costly to come up with a large property, then we would have the cost of a building. Plus, as I noted before, we have each developed differing outreach programs. What you are suggesting isn’t going to happen.
That is great. The fact that your area changed and the cost of buildings went up.....means that your properties are probably worth a lot more now that they paid for them initially... imagine the work that can be done if you both sold, put resources together and continued working for the Lord....together?

Yet, we can find so maybe reasons to remain separated....and none to come together.

The point is, the idea, which you dismissed, that the enemy is the church across the street, is not that far off....if you dont take it too literal.

Im in the same situation.....You can walk 2 blocks in either direction of my church and you will find more than 20 others churches.......about 6 on the very same block if you want around the whole block... All with various charitable reasons why they must remain separate and cannot become one. All doing different works, paying for separate location (even if only taxes) all believing that they must remain separate to continue a work for the Lord....

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes some protestants have done good things, which is undeniable, and the Catholic Church has hidden bad things, but this is beside the point.

The very nature of protestantism itself is unhelpful, for the reasons that I have given. This is not about the people and their actions, but the thing itself.
I am involved with teaching the Bible to the Chinese both from and in Communist China. The “Protestant” unregistered group there is more just Christian and not Catholic, then following a “Protestant creed”. The Bible they have is the one translation approved by the Government and 100 million were sold for about $3.00 at the registered Churches and is in a classical Chinese language making it needing further translating into modern Chinese, but it is all they have and no commentaries (which I consider a blessing). They do great with what they have and all 100 million of them are just one “denomination” Christians and follow the same doctrine. The Communist unintentionally wrote the “doctrine” for them by putting together a public list of things “Protestant Churches could not teach” like: Christ died for your sins, heaven, hell, judgement, communion, emersion believer baptism, and evangelizing. That long list became what they taught for the most part.

The Bible translation has not been a problem if you pray for wisdom, study what will help you change your life and help others, allow the Spirit to be involved in your study, fast, pray, and discuss with other sincere Christians (especially those who spent time in prison for their believes and returned stronger then before they were caught).

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Essentially I'm wondering if hundreds of denominations, with dozens of versions of the Bible, has resulted in confusion and (in response) apostacy; whether into heretical denominations or fully out of any semblance of the Church whatsoever.

People keep telling me that scripture is protected but it cannot be protected when there are literally dozens of different versions of the Bible. Of course, they claim that their favourite one is the special version, but heck they can't all be right can they...

So I'm calling out Protestantism as doing more harm than good because it makes a chaos and confusion of matters that shatters the Church and drives people away.

What say you all?

I say you cannot call out Protestants without also calling out Catholics. We say, I believe in the holy catholic church which means I believe in the universal group of believers worldwide. That includes all those in Christ regardless of church affiliation. If there is confusion or apostasy we (believers) are all at fault for either following it or allowing it to prosper. One does not abdicate responsibility by isolating oneself. The church today seems to be very weak in this area. It is more a live and let live wordly attitude instead of being a defender of the faith. This fall primarily to the men of the faith. Many have lost the true manhood which has been corrupted over thousands of years to be less than it should be. We must stand and we must fight all apostasy and that includes any Protestant apostasy as well as Catholic apostasy. There is much to look at in either camp. I believe many of us know what and where these issues lie in all camps or sects. At least this is my opinion.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That is great. The fact that your area changed and the cost of buildings went up.....means that your properties are probably worth a lot more now that they paid for them initially... imagine the work that can be done if you both sold, put resources together and continued working for the Lord....together?

Yet, we can find so maybe reasons to remain separated....and none to come together.

The point is, the idea, which you dismissed, that the enemy is the church across the street, is not that far off....if you dont take it too literal.

Im in the same situation.....You can walk 2 blocks in either direction of my church and you will find more than 20 others churches.......about 6 on the very same block if you want around the whole block... All with various charitable reasons why they must remain separate and cannot become one. All doing different works, paying for separate location (even if only taxes) all believing that they must remain separate to continue a work for the Lord....

Now you are back to the church across the street being the "enemy." How many times do I have to tell you that they are not. We are friends. But, as I said, we do have different focuses.

No, we aren't going to combine with all the churches in the township. As I said, we all have our own focus. You also seem to think that bigger is better. Sometimes it is, very often it isn't. I like attending a 200-member church where I know everyone by name. Combine all the churches so you have a 2000-member church and you no longer have that.

Oh, and churches don't pay property taxes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biltong65
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Now you are back to the church across the street being the "enemy." How many times do I have to tell you that they are not. You are lying when you say they are. But, as I said, we do have different focuses.

No, we aren't going to combine with all the churches in the township. As I said, we all have our own focus. You also seem to think that bigger is better. Sometimes it is, very often it isn't. I like attending a 200-member church where I know everyone by name. Combine all the churches so you have a 2000-member church and you no longer have that.

Well we all know that 10,000+ member megachurches are better. It's the "American Way". Rah rah la di da and all that.

(Some people don't seem to get the concept that unity is not the same as uniformity.)

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
All "isms" are wrong. Picking out one is pointless. Roman Catholicism has done way more damage to the reputation of Christianity than any protestant group.
The RC's were around for a thousand years before Protestants arrived on the scene. Both sects have form as far as criminal behavior is concerned.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Essentially I'm wondering if hundreds of denominations, with dozens of versions of the Bible, has resulted in confusion and (in response) apostacy; whether into heretical denominations or fully out of any semblance of the Church whatsoever....

Please give one example how protestants have made wrong translation of the Bible?

I think bigger problem is that people don’t want to believe direct words of Jesus, but instead replace Jesus with their own doctrines.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now you are back to the church across the street being the "enemy." How many times do I have to tell you that they are not. We are friends. But, as I said, we do have different focuses.
You seem to have me confused with another poster.... feel free to reread through the posts, if you have time, to re identify with whom you are speaking with.

I never said nor agree with the statement that churches are enemies. I Just am just honest about the fact I could see why another could have this view.

How about just the churches that are on the same street? Going to the extreme with combining all the churches county then in the state and then the country seems like an argument to be given by one who have run out of all other excuses.

Why go from 200 to ten times as much? There are many churches under one name and leadership with multiple locations. I could even see it working if the second location is nearby......but Im assuming the church across the street from you are under two separate leaderships......and the reasons for remaining so, would be as numerous as your reasons for keeping separate building..

But I see no fault in any of it.... Not the 20 15-member churches on the same block, nor the 2 200-member churches across the street from each other, or the 2000-member megachurch.

All are doing what they desire with what they are given......all believe they are doing God's work.....and some believe their work is greater, better, or more holy than work being done by others with lesser or greater members and resources.

If you want to keep the "churches are not enemies," narrative, it would be best to not introduce any negatives you may find in a church other than your own....even if it is only size and communion.

This is news to me. Thanks. You can replace taxes, with insurance, electric, gas, water etc... if it help us remain on the topic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Again, I'm not talking about the people in the churches but the whole nature of what Protestantism itself has resulted in; thousands of fragmented sub-sects and doens of different "bibles". It brought Chaos.

Luke 12:49 (WEB) Do you think that I have come to give peace in the earth? I tell you, no, but rather division. 52 For from now on, there will be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son, and son against father; mother against daughter, and daughter against her mother; mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law, and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law."

Do not expect me to think the Catholic Church is in perfect order. I do not think the Pope is like Peter either.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well we all know that 10,000+ member megachurches are better. It's the "American Way". Rah rah la di da and all that.

(Some people don't seem to get the concept that unity is not the same as uniformity.)
What do you think about 5,000? Multitudes of 5k and more followed Jesus to hear is words. There were some to sat outside looking, with disdain, at the crowd.....they too, found fault in it.....but I would not want to be counted in the number of those that were outside.

It is folly to believe that God can only move small gatherings.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually we have joint Bible studies, joint picnics, other joint activities. We have a joint "Souper Bowl" every year to collect soup for the food bank. The church across the street is not my church's enemy.
That's good to hear. Unfortunately, probably not the norm.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Essentially I'm wondering if hundreds of denominations, with dozens of versions of the Bible, has resulted in confusion and (in response) apostacy; whether into heretical denominations or fully out of any semblance of the Church whatsoever.

People keep telling me that scripture is protected but it cannot be protected when there are literally dozens of different versions of the Bible. Of course, they claim that their favourite one is the special version, but heck they can't all be right can they...

So I'm calling out Protestantism as doing more harm than good because it makes a chaos and confusion of matters that shatters the Church and drives people away.

What say you all?
Protestantism is kind of like the 10 tribes in Israel being taken from Solomon because he wanted to work them harder when they complained about the works.

It progressed to the captivity.

So Protestantism is like Samaria, Roman Catholics are like Judah with their pope kings, and Eastern Orthodox is like Benjamin, because they are so small.

So it's not so much about post reformation denominations being the cause of harm - or the 11th horn emerging as a church to speak all manners of blasphemy against God ...

It's just a manner of prophetic reoccurence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes some protestants have done good things, which is undeniable, and the Catholic Church has hidden bad things, but this is beside the point.

The very nature of protestantism itself is unhelpful, for the reasons that I have given. This is not about the people and their actions, but the thing itself.

Unhelpful? And the Catholics you mention? Awful lot of unhelpful there too.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What say you all?

I say it’s subjective.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

What say you all?
The biggest problem isn't different versions of the bible so much has different interpretations of the bible, with each reader having their own opinion. But there are many people of very strong faith within Protestantism either way, and positively influential as well; CS Lewis is appreciated pretty much across the board-and there's faith even in some of the more radical offshoots; JWs are a direct offspring of the Reformation and are strong Sola Scriptura adherents. And while there are certainly disagreements, sometimes serious ones, over doctrine, fostered mainly by that same doctrine of Sola Scriptura, there are plenty of areas of agreement as well and that's to be applauded and recognized as a cause or potential for greater unity.

But would God desire unity under a single umbrella? I'm sure He does, a physical unity as well as a unity of beliefs: there's only one gospel and He established only one church and I'd think most people would agree to that point at least.

• Winner
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The biggest problem isn't different versions of the bible so much has different interpretations of the bible, with each reader having their own opinion. But there are many people of very strong faith within Protestantism either way, and positively influential as well; CS Lewis is appreciated pretty much across the board-and there's faith even in some of the more radical offshoots; JWs are a direct offspring of the Reformation and are strong Sola Scriptura adherents. And while there are certainly disagreements, sometimes serious ones, over doctrine, fostered mainly by that same doctrine of Sola Scriptura, there are plenty of areas of agreement as well and that's to be applauded and recognized as a cause or potential for greater unity.

But would God desire unity under a single umbrella? I'm sure He does, a physical unity as well as a unity of beliefs: there's only one gospel and He established only one church and I'd think most people would agree to that point at least.
You think people would agree to "one church" I would say yes... Unless that "one church" is only the RCC..

Reactions: Biltong65
Upvote 0

ReadSpenglerDesu

Sep 18, 2020
Nunya-Bin'us
✟7,811.00
Country
Bermuda
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You're half-right. While ultimately Protestantism brought arrogance to the individual, who now is forced to "choose" the "correct" denomination as if he was so wise to be able to do so. There are other problems, of course, including being what led to secular politics.
Culturally it was inevitable and for a short while birthed the highest point in Western culture-civilization. I suggest you read Oswald Spengler's Decline.
The Decline of the West - Wikipedia

• Useful
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0