Not open for further replies.

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
Why is it that some protestants appear to fear..loath and mistrust the RCC .  ?    :scratch:

It can't be because you believe they pray to Mary , worship saints , etc...etc.....

After all , how can any of these things affect you personaly .   You don't get annoyed or upset when seventh day adventists go to church on saturday , or when the JWs say they are the 144000 mentioned in the bible , and what about those churches where people are jumping out of wheel chairs and people being touched and falling on the floor .

With all this maddness going on in christendom today why do protestants continue to focus their attention on the RCC ?

If your not catholic...then why should anything they do bother you ?

After reading a lot of threads I start to wonder if protestants and catholics actualy enjoy a good punch on , maybe it's me who's not seeing things correctly .

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, I'm basing that on my limited exposure to what seems to be 'Protestant paranoia or anti-Catholicism'---Some Protestants (certainly not the majority, but the ones who exhibit the paranoia)--for the most part do not want to admit that Christianity started with the catholic church, or that Tradition is what ultimately led to the compling of the Scriptures. I mean, if they don't agree with certain aspects of the Catholic Faith, fine. But at least acknowledge the history of the Church for what it is....where their Christian roots originated. Many do not do that, in fact they deny it. And not only do they deny it, but they make the Church into something evil. And when I see that sort of attitude exhibited, it reminds me of rebellious children. Just my opinion, though.

Michelle

Upvote 0

MizDoulos

<font color=6c2dc7><b>Justified by grace through f
Jan 1, 2002
The "Left Coast" of the USA
Visit site
✟22,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Note:&nbsp&nbspBecause this can become a volatile discussion, please remember to respect each other's opinions and respond in love. If the thread deteriorates into personal attacks or degrading any denomination or belief system, it will be closed and/or warnings issued.

Thank you.

[noflame][/noflame]

[notroll][/notroll]

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
In real life I do not run across Protestant paranoia against the Catholic Church.
The only place I do see it is on messageboards. Possibly it's because of the anonymity. For the most part non-Catholic Christians are very loving towards their Catholic brothers and sisters.
I think what we are seeing on sites like RR and occasionally on CF is a very vocal minority.
This vocal minority in no way, represents Protestanism.

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Annabel Lee
In real life I do not run across Protestant paranoia against the Catholic Church.
The only place I do see it is on messageboards. Possibly it's because of the anonymity. For the most part non-Catholic Christians are very loving towards their Catholic brothers and sisters.
I think what we are seeing on sites like RR and occasionally on CF is a very vocal minority.

We're all Christians... why can't everyone accept that?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This will be my only post here, since this is the Protestant forum and I tend to stay out of it. :)

My personal opinion is that the folks who have the preoccupation with Catholicism know very little about Catholicism, and what they do know, they misunderstand.

As a result, they are not attacking Catholicism, but rather a caricature of Catholicism, a cardboard-cutout monster created by sincere but uninformed Protestants and augmented by material produced by people like Jack Chick and Loraine Boettner.

In the immortal words of Archbishop Fulton J, Sheen, "There are not 100 people in America who are against what the Catholic Church teaches. But the number of people who are against what they think the Catholic Church teaches----those number up into the millions."

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by Annabel Lee

I totally concur.

&nbsp;In addressing Brain Damages original question, though, why do some Protestants loathe the RCC...?well maybe they're just afraid to take an honest look at things for fear they will have to admit their error. Pulling the stick out of one's eye is never a painless thing, and I speak from experience.

Michelle

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Brain Damage
Well there seems to be a minority that doesn't agree with that , which is why I am asking this question .

&nbsp;

Let me counter with another theological question... what defines a Christian? Is it where, who, or within any particular congregation they decide to worship God within? Or is it possibly a Christian is simply those who follow Christ's teachings and lifes example?

Upvote 0

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Smilin
Let me counter with another theological question... what defines a Christian? Is it where, who, or within any particular congregation they decide to worship God within? Or is it possibly a Christian is simply those who follow Christ's teachings and lifes example?

I believe we are all christians regardless of what church we attend .

But there are some who don't think this way and my question is directed at them.

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Brain Damage
I believe we are all christians regardless of what church we attend .

But there are some who don't think this way and my question is directed at them.

I stand with you then posing the same question.....

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by Miss Shelby
I totally concur.

&nbsp;In addressing Brain Damages original question, though, why do some Protestants loathe the RCC...?well maybe they're just afraid to take an honest look at things for fear they will have to admit their error. Pulling the stick out of one's eye is never a painless thing, and I speak from experience.

Michelle

"Doctor, do you concur? What sir? Do you concur?" --Catch Me If You Can ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Paranoia? I don't really encounter that. I believe they are wrong in ways but I'm not afraid, and not annoyed, etc., at them just being them. I don't really know many people that are, either.

And the correlation between it and not minding the JW's or 7th Day Adventists is a bit off, in my opinion, too :) Especialyl since Catholics don't come up and knock on your door during dinner time! ;) (hehe)

I am one of those that don't think we are "all Christians regardless of what church we go to" .... but being annoyed at someone else just for that reason is very silly :) And anyone that is not being nice :p

:)

/me tried to make it a nice happy post in the possibly-volatile thread =D

Upvote 0

Mephster

arete
Jan 30, 2003
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,317.00
Faith
Muslim
Politics
US-Others
Most problems come down to willful ignorance. People should always be willing to learn (and understand) as much as they can. And when they truly do not know something, to remain non-judgmental and inquire further. Of course, its my typical rant to boil most problems like this down to deplorable education systems wherein people are not taught to reason, research, or use methods.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.