Protestant Girl Likes Catholic Guy

Iffy

Feb 6, 2002
Brisbane
Visit site
✟8,049.00
Faith
Protestant
This is me from the 'Girls Asks Boy Out' thread..

I would say...as the subject suggests..that him being Catholic is part of my confusion..

I have asked him a few times before about his walk with God but he doesn't really understand that cuz I think a lot of Catholics don't really view Christianity as a rship. He says he's told me time after time that he's good with God becauses he's been baptised and confirmed ...all those steps Catholics take. But to me..a rship with God is ongoing...I felt like we weren't on the same wavelength this way.

What are your thoughts on rships between these two denominations?

He is a guy with good morals I can see..very conservative and has character. ...

JillLars

It's a Boy! Jace David- Due 1/20/07
Jan 20, 2003
New Hope, MN
Visit site
✟3,944.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I was raised Catholic, but am not currently a "practicing" Catholic. My brother called me up and asked if I was still Catholic, I told him "I am a Christian". There are a lot of different denominations out there, but I don't think you should make that a stumbling block between you and a guy you like. We are not just Catholics or Protestants, WE ARE CHRISTIANS, and that is the most important thing. Good luck!

Upvote 0

the_man

" My heart is spoken for&
Nov 21, 2002
Boulder CO
✟16,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Sounds like you know the solution to your problem already.  The fact that you are not on the same wavelength in terms of God is usually what I'd label a bad thing.  He also doesn't comprehend what a walk with God is, you do not want to be yoked unequally.  His being Catholic is as relevant to me as him being apostolic.

As for your last sentence about good morals.  Let me ask you this.  If you meet an Atheist with good morals, conservative and has character, he just doesn't believe in God, would you still be asking this question?  The point i'm trying to make is where are you going to draw your line?  Where do your standards for a mate begin?  I think that you should not settle for anyone less than a man who loves God with all his might, all his strength and all his mind.  Someone who is compatible spiritually with you.

Just my cents of two.

Upvote 0

JillLars

Jan 20, 2003
New Hope, MN
Visit site
✟3,944.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The_man, are you implying that Catholics do not love God with all their might, and that they don't know what a walk with God is. This boy may very well not love God with all of his heart, or know what a walk with God is, but that isn't cause he's Catholic.

Iffy, if you think these things about him only because he is Catholic, I suggest you talk with him about it, and clear up your misconceptions about Catholics. Don't push away a possible mate because of close minded misconceptions.

Upvote 0
"I felt like we weren't on the same wavelength this way." Personally, I don't think that this is necessarily a Catholic/Protestant issue. I have stopped dating someone from my own denomination who I felt similarly about. We got along well and I liked her (still do, as friends), but if you are not on the same wavelength on this it will make a relationship difficult (i.e. you may feel as if you have to get him to understand things, when in reality, you can help him, but he needs to seek and ask God for understanding himself. (you can pray about it Eph 1:17) There are young believers and mature believers, and it doesn't mean that there is something wrong with a young believer, but the two may be on different wavelengths so to speak. I encourage you to be friends with him, and start out that way, rather than try to push a romantic relationship right away. (I did the opposite of this and it did not work :) )

Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
um....

Protestants and Catholics have some major differences. Church, communion, baptism, lots of things.

If you get married... what's going to happen? Are you both going to go to seperate churches on Sunday? Gee, that's very married-person like, not being together even in church..... see the problem? :)

Those would be good things to ask before you get involved. :)

Upvote 0

the_man

" My heart is spoken for&
Nov 21, 2002
Boulder CO
✟16,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Today at 03:26 AM JillLars said this in Post #4

The_man, are you implying that Catholics do not love God with all their might, and that they don't know what a walk with God is. This boy may very well not love God with all of his heart, or know what a walk with God is, but that isn't cause he's Catholic. 

That is exactly the opposite of what I'm implying.  That is why I said he could be apostolic for all matters to me, his donomination is irrelevant to me.  What IS relevant to me is this guys personal standing with God, which Iffy has observed, could be better. 

My first 3 sentences were directed at this particular situation (the guy actually), not Catholics.  My 4th sentence tells you that the denomination of this chap is irrelevant to me.  If he were protestant and carried the characteristics Iffy mentioned, I would be equally as worried.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

Athlon4all

I'm offline indefintely
Feb 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,965.00
If he is not in a relationship with the Lord, then she in not a Christian by any means, Catholic or not Catholic. I would encourage you not to enter into a relationship with him. This is not as much a protestant/catholic thing as it is a Christian or not Christian. I do believe that the whole Catholic system does promote religion rather than relationship, but that has nothing to do with where he is at. I believe that there are many Catholics right here at CF that are in the relationship, but there is no doubt that the whol Catholic system promotes religion but thats beside the point. The point is that If you are not in a relationshop with the Lord, then it is religion, which is not Christian. Don't go out with Him. Be careful not to jdge, but ask the Lord for discernment. If he is not in a relationship with God, then he is not a Christian, but it isn't our place to judge that. Paul's questions also lead to something else. If you aren't considering marrying him, why go out with him?

EDIT:

I wanted to come back and just clarify some things. My heart wasn't really in the above post. It can be a difficult thing to "judge" where a person is at. There are baby Christians ok, but there are many people who never are truly born again and aren't saved. If one is not growing towards maturity, then he is going to be backsliding. You're gonna either be degrading into ungodliness or godliness. There are many Catholics and Protestants who just sit in church all their life but never make it personal, and never are truly born again. These people we should not go out with or marry. The Baby Christians are believers,m but you would need to rely on the Holy Spirit to determine whether it's God's will.

That is maybe the main thing with "judging" whether he is a religious person or a baby Christian. We must rely on the Holy Spirit for guidance and enlightenment. That is what I would encourage you to do. Pray, Pray Pray, and ask the ;Lord for Wisdom and truly seek His wisdom. We can say "Lord give me wisdom" but not really want it in our heart and rather want to just go our way. Also believe that God will give you the wisdom if you truly ask for it. James 1:5-9 says "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all <I>men</I> liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. A double minded man <I>is</I> unstable in all his ways. Let the brother of low degree rejoice in that he is exalted:" Seek the Lord. Thats the best advice any of us cans give.

Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
on the topic of judging - we DO judge in some cases. This is one of those instances. We're told not to marry an unbeliever... so obviously, we have to make up our minds if we think they're a believer or not.... :)

I guess that's off topic though. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
P

Pistos Ergon

Someone earlier posted "Denomination is irrelevant."

I pity the child whose parents don't agree on:

what church service/building to attend,
what baptism consists of, and at what age is baptism appropriate,
what is "the Lord's Supper,"
who the head of the church is,
what "speaking in tongues" means,
what day is the "Lord's Day" or Sabbath,
whether it is a sin to do/not do _________,
Who to direct your prayers toward,
Who to confess your sins to,
whether to eat a steak on Friday in March,
etc...

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
[glow=teal]Admin Hat on[/glow]

I'm just going to pop in here real quick and just ask that this does not become a debate between Catholics/Protestants. There are more appropriate places for that sort of discussion.

It is a real valid concern when a Protestant and a Catholic wish to become involved in a relationship that goes beyond basic friendship. Which I think is what is wished to be discussed here.

Not the various beliefs and traditions and things of Protestants and Catholics. Like I said, that stuff takes place elsewhere.

Okay? :)

I'm not posting this because I saw debative posts. But I can feel the potential for them arising. I just don't want to see that happen and I don't want to have to close a thread or send out warnings or anything. :)

Thanks!

[glow=teal]Admin Hat off[/glow]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JillLars

Jan 20, 2003
New Hope, MN
Visit site
✟3,944.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Today at 12:19 PM the_man said this in Post #7

That is exactly the opposite of what I'm implying.&nbsp; That is why I said he could be apostolic for all matters to me, his donomination is irrelevant to me.&nbsp; What IS relevant to me is&nbsp;this guys&nbsp;personal standing with God, which Iffy has observed, could be better.&nbsp;

My first 3 sentences were directed at this particular situation (the guy actually), not Catholics.&nbsp; My 4th sentence tells you that the denomination of this&nbsp;chap is irrelevant to me.&nbsp; If he were protestant and carried the characteristics Iffy mentioned, I would be equally as worried.

Cheers!

Sorry I misunderstood you!&nbsp; I do still hope that Iffy recognizes that the qualities this guy might present are not just because he is Catholic.&nbsp;

Reactions: Rising_Suns
Upvote 0

the_man

&amp;amp;amp;amp;quot; My heart is spoken for&amp;
Nov 21, 2002
Boulder CO
✟16,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yesterday at 10:22 PM JillLars said this in Post #16

Sorry I misunderstood you!&nbsp; I do still hope that Iffy recognizes that the qualities this guy might present are not just because he is Catholic.&nbsp;

no problem.&nbsp; I hope so also.

Upvote 0

Iffy

Feb 6, 2002
Brisbane
Visit site
✟8,049.00
Faith
Protestant
tahnk you all for your replies!

i agree that it isn't a denomination q because i know of catholics who have rships with God. i also think - from my personal exposure to people - that generally catholics tend to be more permissive in their lifestyle - smoking, swearing, pre marital sex.. this is just my personal exposure mind you. if i have to think of a reason, i would say maybe...cuz unlike protestants, catholics do not treat the Bible like we do. i mean, they have extra biblical revelations..whereas protestants will say we have to back everything with the Bible. hence, a lot of catholics i know, actually know less about biblical doctrine compared to protestants.

before any catholics get mad, there are protestants who are like that too. this is just the general impression i get from the catholics i have talked to and known and observed.

i agree that it is good if both are on the same wavelength...and since the spiritual life is so important for a man and woman in rship...the spiritual wavelength of two people are very important..

i have always thought that the man should be spiritually more mature than the woman. it would be ideal this way. however, i have noticed this is not true for some cases..

you know, everything in this world...even your parents...seem to be against God's ideal. people will say...it's hard to find a good man. or it's hard to find another Christian. i guess that is why i have let down my standards ..in actually entertaining thoughts about being with this guy whom i very well (for now) cannot see as someone who can lead and encourage me spiritually.

i mean even my Mom seems encouraging. simply because he is Catholic....eventhough he may not be spiritually zealous... because he is 'in Christ'...therefore it is quite okay.

thank you all!

Upvote 0

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You need to learn about the differences between the both of you because it WILL become an issue. Really. Can you live with those issues when they arise? Catholics are actually kind of cool. VOW, the living encyclopedia, and kimmee, the sweetest little person on the planet, are catholic. They made me reevaluate some things I thought were true about catholics. As a protestant, I will say if Catholics are messed up, then we are too in different ways. We need to get past our differences and see that were brothers and sisters.
So keep that in mind as you investigate yourselves.

I recommend Raymond Brown's book, "Responses to 101 Questions about the Bible." Nice little primer on Catholic theology as well as other bible questions.
Raymond Brown knows all.

Upvote 0

kimmee

Apr 4, 2002
✟7,956.00
Faith
Christian
Yesterday at 12:20 PM Mr.Cheese said this in Post #19

VOW, the living encyclopedia,

Vow is by far the persnon with the most answers!she is great
Yesterday at 12:20 PM Mr.Cheese said this in Post #19

and kimmee, the sweetest little person on the planet, are catholic.

awww really!thanks Cheese.

My mom is Catholic and my dad was Protestant(i say was because over the last year my dad has simply almost stoped beliving in God.) They have been married for over 20 years, so it goes to show that dispite everything True love came out in the end. Im not saying it was easy for them, because I know it wasnt. My dad's parents did NOT appove of the marriage, Nor did my mom's parents. but they got through it.

Upvote 0