Protestant, Christian-Works Forum

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I can't find much consensus on the site about treating the sermon on the mount a foundation to all theology as Matthew 7:24-25 illustrates, so there probably will not be a Christian Works forum.

Furthermore, boasting of works, and not doing them in secret so God can reward you openly ... would kind of be counter productive.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
I can't find much consensus on the site about treating the sermon on the mount a foundation to all theology as Matthew 7:24-25 illustrates, so there probably will not be a Christian Works forum.

Furthermore, boasting of works, and not doing them in secret so God can reward you openly ... would kind of be counter productive.

Giving alms and praying in public... that's one category.

Mary didn't boast of her works... and she didn't do it in secret, either.

Matthew 26:10-13 When Jesus understood, He said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon Me.

Keeping Jesus' Commandments is works... that's why
I referenced three sets of verses in the OP... not just one.
(Matthew 7:24-25, John 14:15-17, Revelation 3:7-8, etc.)

John 15:10 If ye keep My Commandments ye shall abide in My love; even as I have kept My Father's Commandments* and abide in His love. (* John 12:48-50)
Revelation 3:2-3 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed which Keep the Commandments of God and have the Testimony of Jesus Christ.
14:13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed [are] the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.
22:12 And behold, I come quickly; and My reward with Me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
22:14 Blessed [are] they that do His Commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.KJV

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Good for you, faith without works is dead. Nice track to stay on for a Protestant forum. Even though I couldn't participate in it.

You have your Catholic Forum. ... Amazingly, I thank you for your support.
What Protestants have are divided into categories that some just can't fit into.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Giving alms and praying in public... that's one category.
No it is a general principle, if everything is judged as a category, then loopholes are created as to when it doesn't apply. As a result, it only gets done when convenient to the reader.

I would recommend to perhaps create a forum to discuss the teachings of Jesus and how to apply them instead. Perhaps named "Applying what Jesus said, and how"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
I'm curious why works wouldn't fit into the Discipleship, Following Jesus forum?

"Discipleship: Following Jesus Forum Statement of Purpose
...But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." ...
“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.”..."

I can't reconcile those two verses above, in context:
Galatians 6:12-16 and Galatians 2:16-21
with
Matthew 7:24-25, John 14:15-17, Revelation 3:7-8, Matthew 10:5-7, etc.
Can you?

Clearly what Jesus taught the Galileans is known as Peter's Gospel to the circumcision, as referenced in Galatians 2:7... and Acts 15:15-21, which quotes from Amos 9, then says this:

Acts 15:20 But that we write unto them,* that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and fornication, and things strangled, and [from] blood. (* them = the gentiles)

Amos 9:9 For I will give commandment, and sift the house of Israel among all the Gentiles, as corn is sifted in a sieve, and yet a fragment shall not in any wise fall upon the earth.LXX

Upvote 0